B
Bbigam
Guest
Midnight Mass is just absolutely amazing and beautiful! This thread is to talk about your Midnight Masses - what you loved about them, what was unique or funny, etc. (Positive only, please! If you had disappointments please take them elsewhere.)
At my parish, St. Luke in Nicholasville, KY, Mass was, as Father put it, “with all the stops pulled out.” We had the Knights of Columbus, and plenty of altar servers (kids and youth) with shoulder capes they only use twice a year (Midnight Mass and 10:00 Easter Sunday). We had plenty of incense, including even at the Elevations - first time I have ever seen that at St. Luke!
The choir was at its finest yet - half an hour of carols before Mass, including the best rendition I have ever heard of “What Child Is This?” (Anyone know what this version is called, with interspersed different verses beginning with “Who is this?”) After that we started with a chanted Proclamation of the Birth of Christ. The organ sounded great, we had a trumpet for the processional and recessional, and we did the most Latin I’ve ever heard at St. Luke - Gloria (for the first time in decades, or so I hear), Sanctus, Pater Noster, Angus Dei, part of the Rite of Peace, and the final blessing. The bell in the tower pealed for a few minutes after the recessional.
We had a big beautiful nativity set up, lots of poinsettias in the windows and by the high altar and table-altar, and the high candles on the high altar were lit (again, that’s only a few times per year.) I wish I had photos!
And as always, we had Sanctus bells and communion patens in our beautiful little church with the great stained glass windows, the marble high altar with tabernacle, and the general great reverence of the priest, deacon, servers, and parishioners. And the Latin Gloria, Sanctus, and Angus Dei are becoming permanent!
At my parish, St. Luke in Nicholasville, KY, Mass was, as Father put it, “with all the stops pulled out.” We had the Knights of Columbus, and plenty of altar servers (kids and youth) with shoulder capes they only use twice a year (Midnight Mass and 10:00 Easter Sunday). We had plenty of incense, including even at the Elevations - first time I have ever seen that at St. Luke!
The choir was at its finest yet - half an hour of carols before Mass, including the best rendition I have ever heard of “What Child Is This?” (Anyone know what this version is called, with interspersed different verses beginning with “Who is this?”) After that we started with a chanted Proclamation of the Birth of Christ. The organ sounded great, we had a trumpet for the processional and recessional, and we did the most Latin I’ve ever heard at St. Luke - Gloria (for the first time in decades, or so I hear), Sanctus, Pater Noster, Angus Dei, part of the Rite of Peace, and the final blessing. The bell in the tower pealed for a few minutes after the recessional.
We had a big beautiful nativity set up, lots of poinsettias in the windows and by the high altar and table-altar, and the high candles on the high altar were lit (again, that’s only a few times per year.) I wish I had photos!
And as always, we had Sanctus bells and communion patens in our beautiful little church with the great stained glass windows, the marble high altar with tabernacle, and the general great reverence of the priest, deacon, servers, and parishioners. And the Latin Gloria, Sanctus, and Angus Dei are becoming permanent!