Beautiful Poem re: disabilities

  • Thread starter Thread starter skigirl1689
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skigirl1689

Guest
I hope this poem helps someone who has a disability, has a loved one with a disability, or just knows of someone who has. I thought it was too beautiful not to share…it’s the way I have come to view my own disability.

The Child, yet unborn, spoke with the Father,

"Lord, how will I survive in the world?

I will not be like other children, my

walk may be slower, my speech hard

to understand, I may look different.

What is to become of me?"

The Lord replied to the child,

"My precious one, have no fear, I will

give you exceptional parents. They

will love you because you are special,

not in spite of it. Though your path

through life will be difficult, your

reward will be greater. You have been

blessed with a special ability to love,

and those whose lives you touch will

be blessed because you are special."

-Author Unknown
 
I wish I still had the ability to love, but I just cannot feel that wonderful feeling. I do not know if I would even cry if I lost any member of my family. Sometimes the suffering in this world detaches you from loving life.
 
I wish I had some wise words that could ensure you feel love again…one verse that comes again is 2 Corinthians 12:9:
Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
9 And he said to me: My grace is sufficient for thee; for power is made perfect in infirmity. Gladly therefore will I glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
and Romans 8:28:
Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
28 And we know that to them that love God, all things work together unto good, to such as, according to his purpose, are called to be saints.
When we suffer, we need to remember God has allowed it for a purpose, for a good purpose, even if we do not understand why in this vale of tears called life.

I was so close to death when I was born; it is a miracle I survived, let alone have the intellect I possess. I see how God has repeatedly worked seemingly impossible circumstances for my good even when I pleaded with Him to take the suffering away. But it is the cross I bear in this life.

I hope this helps you view suffering differently. I pray God gives you the grace to love again.
 
I hope this poem helps someone who has a disability,
I know people who have a disability, who would write a very different kind of poem.

They don’t love, or spread love. They are angry and bitter and want to die. They were abandoned to the care system, not taken care of by the promised exceptional parents.

Their abiding wish is they had never been born.

While I know this is the minority view, it is there. And it needs to be recognized I think. It very rarely is.

Sarah x 🙂
 
I do understand how fortunate I am that God gave me life, otherwise heaven would be out of my reach. I have felt God’s loving presence and that is my only hope.

I am unable to feel peace, joy or love because I am emotionally dead. I would have no will to live without knowing for a fact that God exists–that’s a great grace because many do not know this–, and my greatest desire is to die and be in heaven. Only God can heal my emotional wounds.

I just hope that all my suffering will sanctify me.
 
I do understand how fortunate I am that God gave me life, otherwise heaven would be out of my reach. I have felt God’s loving presence and that is my only hope.

I am unable to feel peace, joy or love because I am emotionally dead. I would have no will to live without knowing for a fact that God exists–that’s a great grace because many do not know this–, and my greatest desire is to die and be in heaven. Only God can heal my emotional wounds.

I just hope that all my suffering will sanctify me.
I think of this Sunday’s reading from Hebrews,
“For we do not have a high priest
who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses,
but one who has similarly been tested in every way,
yet without sin.
So let us confidently approach the throne of grace
to receive mercy and to find grace for timely help.”

All of your suffering is fully known first hand by the one who sanctifies us. It truly is for a purpose, and you are so loved and cherished by our God. Have faith in knowing with full confidence that all of your sorrow will lead to the greatest joy imaginable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top