H
Huiou_Theou
Guest
Hi Max,Huiou Theou
I think the bottom line is that I’m getting myself confused. What I need is the Dummies Guide to the Catholic interpretation of the Bible.
Any suggestions?
In general reading, resources like Maria is pointing out might be useful. Romans is just a particularly difficult book; and it is generally easier to begin with other texts – St. Paul is no dummy !!! Much of the splitting of opinions in Christianity are really based on shallow readings of his work.
The Acts of the apostles, with Stephen, for example – is a much more clearly written text without nearly so much knowledge and familiarity with the old testament required. Many of the most beautiful statements are found in St. Paul and St. John’s works, though, so if you are really attracted to reading those – be prepared to study much of the old testament in order to not be confused.
I would humbly suggest reading the books of Matthew or Luke first, depending on which is easier for you – and for reading the book of Acts with Luke. Luke isn’t writing to a Jewish audience with full knowledge of the old testament, and tends to write more simply. He was an associate of St. Paul – and gives simpler background to much of what Paul discusses. Matthew is very Jewish in thought, but thankfully isn’t a heavy technical writer, which depending on you background might be more enjoyable.
Scott Hahn is a very popular author in Catholic Circles today regarding some of the more difficult writings in scripture; but he is also a fairly deep thinker – similar to me – and may not be your style; I really wish I knew someone who would be a better and simpler guide to Paul’s writings, but I haven’t stumbled across anything yet.
I think you may get more replies from Maria and others, if you continue to ask along the lines of the Acts of the apostles. There are many helpful people on CAF that I see discussing the Acts, Luke, and Matthew and sometimes it’s just a matter of persistence, for they aren’t always online; sometimes asking a similar question a couple of weeks apart will get someone new. It’s just a matter of fishing for someone with similar interests.
Peace to you,
–Andrew.