Becoming a Catholic and Baptism

  • Thread starter Thread starter tek95969
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tek95969

Guest
Since my question is so general I wasn’t sure where to post, so that being said -
My daughter grew up with no religious education, but now at 28 will be starting classes to be baptized in the Catholic religion. I myself am a ‘Coming Home’ Catholic and went to Catholic school along with a strong devotion at home. Although my knowledge is a bit foggy, I have found my faith to be as strong if not stronger than ever. I very much want to help her in any way I can, in addition to my prayers and encouragement, and want to find any books or literature I can so that I can follow along with her process and maybe provide me with a refresher course as well. Is there a Catechism Manual somewhere here?
Also, any suggestions for books would be great.
Thanks!

Phillip
 
I greatly recommend Catholicism for Dummies. It’s very readable and true to Church teaching.
 
Since my question is so general I wasn’t sure where to post, so that being said -
My daughter grew up with no religious education, but now at 28 will be starting classes to be baptized in the Catholic religion. I myself am a ‘Coming Home’ Catholic and went to Catholic school along with a strong devotion at home. Although my knowledge is a bit foggy, I have found my faith to be as strong if not stronger than ever. I very much want to help her in any way I can, in addition to my prayers and encouragement, and want to find any books or literature I can so that I can follow along with her process and maybe provide me with a refresher course as well. Is there a Catechism Manual somewhere here?
Also, any suggestions for books would be great.
Thanks!

Phillip
Hello Phillip,

Your daughter will probably be going through the RCIA process. RCIA differs from parish to parish, so the details of what they will teach is difficult to predict.

However, you might want to download this document which I use as notes for the Confirmation classes I teach. It is a good overview of Catholicism. And it’s free 😃

The book that it is based on is noted in the text.

How I wish that all the parents of my students were interested as well…😦

BTW - this page may also have some other stuff you would find useful.
 
Since my question is so general I wasn’t sure where to post, so that being said -
My daughter grew up with no religious education, but now at 28 will be starting classes to be baptized in the Catholic religion. I myself am a ‘Coming Home’ Catholic and went to Catholic school along with a strong devotion at home. Although my knowledge is a bit foggy, I have found my faith to be as strong if not stronger than ever. I very much want to help her in any way I can, in addition to my prayers and encouragement, and want to find any books or literature I can so that I can follow along with her process and maybe provide me with a refresher course as well. Is there a Catechism Manual somewhere here?
Also, any suggestions for books would be great.
Thanks!

Phillip
I help assist a deacon as a team leader for RCIA at my home parish. Usually a month after classes start there is usually quite a few empty seats in the classroom. My deacon usually welcomes anyone willing to further learn their Catholic faith.
I was a cradle Catholics with my sacraments. Left the faith in 1982 and returned to the faith in 2001. In August 2003 I had taken my girlfriend at the time who was Baptist to RCIA classes she dropped out in November 2003. We broke up in January 2004. I continued RCIA on my own to the end at May 2004.l had learned including reading good Catholic books. I learned more about my faith than in all my years in Catholic school. I never knew who Martin Luther was or the Protestant Reformation until the end of 2003.

2007-2009 I was a 9th grade team leader at youth group. This year I am a team leader at RCIA. I got so many Catholic books now, I never have the time to fully read all of them.

God Bless our Protestant brothers and sisters through the centuries in their reverence to Bible and the Word of God. We Catholics are supposed to be doing this also. Not just attend Mass and throw Jesus back in the closet until next Sunday. We’re supposed to learn and live our faith everyday. If we can’t do a weekday Mass then we should spend some time in our workday in prayer and devotion to God.

We have much in technology in this century. There is no excuse for any Catholic not to learn about their faith. Even if a person is visually challenged,hearing challenged,reading challenged. Internet,CD’s, DVD’s,tapes,books,radio(EWTN),television(EWTN) Pope John Paul II pushed toward internet and Catholic media. Pope Benedict XVI has already this week telling the religious to get on the forums and blogs.🙂
 
Hello Phillip,

Your daughter will probably be going through the RCIA process. RCIA differs from parish to parish, so the details of what they will teach is difficult to predict.

However, you might want to download this document which I use as notes for the Confirmation classes I teach. It is a good overview of Catholicism. And it’s free 😃

The book that it is based on is noted in the text.

How I wish that all the parents of my students were interested as well…😦

BTW - this page may also have some other stuff you would find useful.
Thanks for the great links! They are exactly the type of info I was looking for, the more basic the better. Thanks so much for your reply and keep me and my daughter in your prayers.

sincerely,
Phil 🙂
 
Since my question is so general I wasn’t sure where to post, so that being said -
My daughter grew up with no religious education, but now at 28 will be starting classes to be baptized in the Catholic religion. I myself am a ‘Coming Home’ Catholic and went to Catholic school along with a strong devotion at home. Although my knowledge is a bit foggy, I have found my faith to be as strong if not stronger than ever. I very much want to help her in any way I can, in addition to my prayers and encouragement, and want to find any books or literature I can so that I can follow along with her process and maybe provide me with a refresher course as well. Is there a Catechism Manual somewhere here?
Also, any suggestions for books would be great.
Thanks!

Phillip
I see the Catechism of the Catholic Church was recommended for you…it is a gem! but do not be overwhelmed by its riches…but certainly get one.

also the Church put out a Compendium of the Catechism…this is also very good and may be what you want to get as well…it is short and can give you a nice overview…

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

of course this is the text online…but they do sell it all over the place
 
“Catholic Christianity” by Peter Kreeft is a book we use along Catechism of the Catholic Church at our parish for RCIA …while Faith Explained " by Leo Trese is a perfect book for anyone who want to learn the basics fast an it serves as a base for everything…I find both books just wonderful…
good luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top