Becoming a dad later in life

  • Thread starter Thread starter Honus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Honus

Guest
Any guys on the board not become a dad until later in life (40’s)? I’m kind of at a crossroads in my dating/personal life. I always wanted to be a dad (and assumed I would be one at some time). However, as you enter your forties you start coming to terms with the idea that maybe you’re not called that direction. I’m not quite ready to give up on the idea of having kids, but I’m becoming more and more ok with not having them. If I decide that I’m really ok with not having them, it changes who you can date (age, religion, etc).

I guess there’s no real question here. I’m just curious to hear stories of any men who started a family later in life.
 
Honus,
I had my first child at age 36, and my last (4th) at age 49. Most of my friends’ kids are grown and gone. I’m 61, still have 2 children at home fulltime, and loving every moment with them. They keep me young.
 
I’m not the dad, but I’m married to him for almost 12 years! 😉 I’m nearly 37 and my husband is 55. We have a 10 year old, a 9 year old, a 6 month old and… One on the way. 😛 He is a wonderful father who in his younger years did not see himself as a father at all. God has a plan…age is just a number!
 
I’m not a dad either. I know that this is a dilemma for my boyfriend as well. He is 44 and I am 43. We are together following the end of my marriage and an annulment. I have 4 kids, so he is getting some experience with kids. He says he is starting to come to peace with the fact that he will never have his own. He consulted an uncle who married a woman with 3 kids when we started dating. They never had any children together, but her kids have had children. He is definitely their grandpa.

So, you might want to consider dating someone with children. You do have lots of options open to you and being in your 40’s certainly isn’t the end of the road.
 
My husband and I married when I was 44 and he was 46. I had 2 teenagers from a previous annulled marriage. He became more of a “dad” to them then their birth father who skipped out of state and out of mind for many years.

He is a super Grandpa and we now have custody of our 10 year old granddaughter and he’s loving it. God works in wondrous ways.😃
 
We were married when I was 28. Our daughter was born when I was 42.

It’s only a number - trust me…

Our focus is can we make life as enriching as possible for all of us - regardless of the age of my wife or myself.

There are many “absent” parents who are “still there” in any age bracket.

It’s the state of being - not the age that matters to me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top