Beginners of Catholic faith

  • Thread starter Thread starter PelagiathePenit
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PelagiathePenit

Guest
From this forum post, sin is intolerable. Where is the encouragement for beginners of the Catholic faith? Sometimes it seems like all here is “this is wrong”, “that is a sin”, “you are wrong.” Get it, dont condone sin. No excuses. For beginners it feel overwhelming and VERY DISCOURAGING. As someone with many imperfections, I am guilty of almost all the seven deadly sins, except gluttony and greed. I am not so comfortable w/ how harsh some folks here are about correcting & calling out sin. WE ARE NOT ALL THERE YET. As someone with anger issues, I try really hard to control/bottle up my anger, then explode. I can only deal w/ so much. It seems unfair being anger is a sin. I have improved from getting in fist-fights in grade school til now. I have NOT YET perfected my anger. I am condemned. The only way to get to Jesus to be perfect.I still have my doubts about God, Jesus and the afterlife. It seems like you express any people ARE QUICK TO ATTACK.
 
First, we are ALL SINNERS. None of us have made it to perfection yet. Some are more passionate and precise about pointing out Sin. But many are much more compassionate and humble. Forgive us if we have appeared to be Avengers on a Witch Hunt. Totally not our intentions. Yes, we all need to acknowledge our sins. But that belongs with our priest in Reconciliation.

Perhaps as a new Catholic, it might be better to bring your questions or concerns to your priest. Even though I’m a cradle Catholic, I still have questions. Some I bring to the priest, and some just came up in a Bible Study discussion (I wasn’t the only one with questions). Both ways could bring you closer to your Catholic community.

I’ll say a prayer that you will find the answers you’re looking for.

God Bless You.
 
From this forum post, sin is intolerable. Where is the encouragement for beginners of the Catholic faith?
It’s all around you here on this forum.
Sometimes it seems like all here is “this is wrong”, “that is a sin”, “you are wrong.”
This sentence is very telling spiritually. “Seems like” and “all I hear” indicate a level of interpretation being used in reading responses. It’s something we all do to some extent.
As we read something written out, we tend to “add to it”…By that I mean we tend to add inflection, emotion and even sometimes hidden meaning to it. It’s quite natural. As I say we all do it.
Our general character can also play into this. Some people are “half full” types and see good and encouragement in most everything, while other people tend to be “half empty” types who are more easily discouraged.

Spiritually it is a good thing to prayerfully examine this.
Get it, dont condone sin. No excuses. For beginners it feel overwhelming and VERY DISCOURAGING. As someone with many imperfections, I am guilty of almost all the seven deadly sins, except gluttony and greed.
Yes it can be that way. This is especially true when we are dealing a habitual sin like anger that just naturally takes time to overcome. I am sure you are keenly aware that anger and patience just don’t seem to go together…😉
I am not so comfortable w/ how harsh some folks here are about correcting & calling out sin. WE ARE NOT ALL THERE YET.
Amen
As someone with anger issues, I try really hard to control/bottle up my anger, then explode. I can only deal w/ so much. It seems unfair being anger is a sin. I have improved from getting in fist-fights in grade school til now.
Excellent work. Hang in there.
Sounds like you need ways to vent your frustrations so that you don’t blow up. Have you looked into this?
I have NOT YET perfected my anger. I am condemned. The only way to get to Jesus to be perfect.I still have my doubts about God, Jesus and the afterlife. It seems like you express any people ARE QUICK TO ATTACK.
If I may offer a correction that might be an encouragement to you. The way to Jesus is to DESIRE to be perfect. Desire leads to commitment which leads action which leads to progress and this is pleasing to our Lord and is a firm protection against condemnation. None of us have achieve the perfection that is our goal…Yet we hope and we trust that through our struggle and our reliance on God’s Love and Mercy we will be welcomed home to be with Him.

Have a beautiful Easter

Peace
James
 
From this forum post, sin is intolerable. Where is the encouragement for beginners of the Catholic faith? Sometimes it seems like all here is “this is wrong”, “that is a sin”, “you are wrong.” Get it, dont condone sin. No excuses. For beginners it feel overwhelming and VERY DISCOURAGING. As someone with many imperfections, I am guilty of almost all the seven deadly sins, except gluttony and greed. I am not so comfortable w/ how harsh some folks here are about correcting & calling out sin. WE ARE NOT ALL THERE YET. As someone with anger issues, I try really hard to control/bottle up my anger, then explode. I can only deal w/ so much. It seems unfair being anger is a sin. I have improved from getting in fist-fights in grade school til now. I have NOT YET perfected my anger. I am condemned. The only way to get to Jesus to be perfect.I still have my doubts about God, Jesus and the afterlife. It seems like you express any people ARE QUICK TO ATTACK.
Prayer to the Shoulder Wound of Jesus

It is related in the annals of Clairvaux that St. Bernard asked Our Lord which was His greatest unrecorded suffering and Our Lord answered: “I had on My Shoulder, while I bore My Cross on the Way of Sorrows, a grievous Wound, which was more painful than the others and which is not recorded by men. Honor this Wound with thy devotion and I will grant thee whatsoever thou dost ask through Its virtue and merit. And in regard to all those who shall venerate this Wound, I will remit to them all their venial sins and will no longer remember their mortal sins.”

This revelation and promise of Our Dear Savior is another proof of His unlimited mercy. You are urged to say these prayers daily and to promulgate this prayer on a continuous basis, so that others may share in this blessing.

The Prayer
O Loving Jesus, meek Lamb of God, I a miserable sinner, salute and worship the most Sacred Wound of Thy Shoulder on which Thou didst bear Thy heavy Cross, which so tore Thy Flesh and laid bare Thy Bones as to inflict on Thee an anguish greater than any other Wound of Thy Most Blessed Body. I adore Thee, O Jesus most sorrowful; I praise and glorify Thee and give Thee thanks for this most sacred and painful Wound, beseeching Thee by that exceeding pain and by the crushing burden of Thy heavy Cross to be merciful to me, a sinner, to forgive me all my mortal and venial sins, and to lead me on towards Heaven along the Way of Thy Cross. Amen.

Imprimatur: Thomas D. Beven, Bishop of Springfield, Ma.

Pope Eugenius III, at the earnest request of St. Bernard, has granted three thousand years Indulgence to all who with a contrite heart, recite the Lord’s Prayer and Hail Mary 3 times, in honor of the Wound on the Shoulder of Our Blessed Redeemer.
brizek.com/prayer/pieta.htm#shwound
 
😦
Extract from the Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska:
Diary of Saint Faustina - liturgicalyear.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/divine-mercy-in-my-soul.pdf

The Goodness of God.

1485 The mercy of God, hidden in the Blessed Sacrament, the voice of the Lord who speaks to us from the throne of mercy: Come to Me, all of you.

Jesus: Be not afraid of your Savior; O sinful soul. I make the first move to come to you, for I know that by yourself you are unable to lift yourself to me. Child, do not run away from your Father; be willing to talk openly with your God of mercy who wants to speak words of pardon and lavish his graces on you. How dear your soul is to Me! I have inscribed your name upon My hand; you are engraved as a deep wound in My Heart.

Soul: Lord, I hear your voice calling me to turn back from the path of sin, but I have neither the strength nor the courage to do so.

Jesus: I am your strength, I will help you in the struggle.

Soul: Lord, I recognize your holiness, and I fear You.

Jesus: My child, do you fear the God of mercy? My holiness (80) does not prevent Me from being merciful. Behold, for you I have established a throne of mercy on earth – the tabernacle – and from this throne I desire to enter into your heart. I am not surrounded by a retinue or guards. You can come to me at any moment, at any time; I want to speak to you and desire to grant you grace.

Soul: Lord, I doubt that You will pardon my numerous sins; my misery fills me with fright.

Jesus: My mercy is greater than your sins and those of the entire world. Who can measure the extent of my goodness? For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart. Your misery has disappeared in the depths of My mercy. Do not argue with Me about your wretchedness. You will give me pleasure if you hand over to me all your troubles and griefs. I shall heap upon you the treasures of My grace.

(81) Soul: You have conquered, O Lord, my stony heart with Your goodness. In trust and humility I approach the tribunal of Your mercy, where You Yourself absolve me by the hand of your representative. O Lord, I feel Your grace and Your peace filling my poor soul. I feel overwhelmed by Your mercy, O lord. You forgive me, which is more than I dared to hope for or could imagine. Your goodness surpasses all my desires. And now, filled with gratitude for so many graces, I invite You to my heart. I wandered, like a prodigal child gone astray; but you did not cease to be my Father. Increase Your mercy toward me, for You see how weak I am.

Jesus: Child, speak no more of your misery; it is already forgotten. Listen, My child, to what I desire to tell you. Come close to My wounds and draw from the Fountain of Life whatever your heart desires. Drink copiously from the Fountain of Life and you will not weary on your journey. Look at the splendors of My Mercy and do not fear the enemies of your salvation. Glorify My mercy.
Please continue to next post -
 
Extract from the Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska:
Diary of Saint Faustina - liturgicalyear.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/divine-mercy-in-my-soul.pdf

Conversation of the Merciful God With a Despairing Soul.

1486 Jesus: O soul steeped in darkness, do not despair. All is not yet lost. Come and confide in your God, who is love and mercy.

– But the soul, deaf even to this appeal, wraps itself in darkness.

Jesus calls out again: My child, listen to the voice of your merciful Father.

– In the soul arises this reply: “For me there is no mercy,” and it falls into greater darkness, a despair which is a foretaste of hell and makes it unable to draw near God.

Jesus calls to the soul a third time, but the soul remains deaf and blind, hardened and despairing. Then the mercy of God begins to exert itself, and, without any co-operation from the soul, God grants it final grace. If this too is spurned, God will leave the soul in this self-chosen disposition for eternity. This grace emerges from the merciful Heart of Jesus and gives the soul a special light by means of which the soul begins to understand (83) God’s effort; but conversion depends on its own will. The soul knows that this, for her, is final grace and, should it show even a flicker of good will, the mercy of God will accomplish the rest.

My omnipotent mercy is active here. Happy the soul that takes advantage of this grace.

Jesus: What joy fills My Heart when you return to me. Because you are weak, I take you in My arms and carry you to the home of My Father.

Soul (as if awaking, asks fearfully): Is it possible that there yet is mercy for me?

Jesus: There is, My child. You have a special claim on My mercy. Let it act in your poor soul; let the rays of grace enter your soul; they bring with them light, warmth, and life.

Soul: But fear fills me at the thought of my sins, and this terrible fear moves me to doubt Your goodness.

Jesus: My child, all your sins have not wounded My Heart as painfully as your present lack of trust does – that after so many efforts of My (84) love and mercy, you should still doubt My goodness.

Soul: O Lord, save me Yourself, for I perish. Be my Savior. O Lord, I am unable to say anything more; my pitiful heart is torn asunder; but You, O Lord……

Jesus does not let the soul finish but, raising it from the ground, from the depths of its misery, he leads it into the recesses of His Heart where all its sins disappear instantly, consumed by the flames of love.

Jesus: Here, soul, are all the treasures of My Heart. Take everything you need from it.

Soul: O Lord, I am inundated with Your grace. I sense that a new life has entered into me and, above all, I feel Your love in my heart. That is enough for me. O Lord, I will glorify the omnipotence of Your mercy for all eternity. Encouraged by Your goodness, I will confide to You all the sorrows of my heart.

Jesus: Tell me all, My child, hide nothing from Me, because My loving Heart, the Heart of your Best Friend, is listening to you.

Soul: O Lord, now I see all my ingratitude and Your goodness. You were pursuing me with Your grace, while I was frustrating Your benevolence. I see that I deserve (85) the depths of hell for spurning Your graces. Jesus (interrupting): Do not be absorbed in your misery – you are still too weak to speak of it – but, rather; gaze on My Heart filled with goodness, and be imbued with My sentiments. Strive for meekness and humility; be merciful to others, as I am to you; and, when you feel your strength failing, if you come to the fountain of mercy to fortify your soul, you will not grow weary on your journey.

Soul: Now I understand Your mercy, which protects me, and like a brilliant star, leads me into the home of my Father, protecting me from the horrors of hell that I have deserved, not once, but a thousand times. O Lord, eternity will hardly suffice for me to give due praise to Your unfathomable mercy and Your compassion for me.
Please continue to next post -
 
Extract from the Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska:
Diary of Saint Faustina - liturgicalyear.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/divine-mercy-in-my-soul.pdf

Conversation of the Merciful God with a Suffering Soul

1487 Jesus: Poor soul, I see that you suffer much and that you do not have even the strength to converse with me. So I will speak to you. Even though your sufferings were (86) very great, do not lose heart or give in to despondency. But tell Me, my child, who has dared to wound your heart? Tell me about everything, be sincere in dealing with Me, reveal all the wounds of your heart. I will heal them, and your suffering will become a source of your sanctification.

Soul: Lord, my sufferings are so great and numerous and have lasted so long that I become discouraged.

Jesus: My child, do not be discouraged. I know your boundless trust in Me; I know you are aware of My goodness and mercy. Let us talk in detail about everything that weighs so heavily upon your heart.

Soul: There are so many different things that I do not know what to speak about first, nor how to express it.

Jesus: Talk to Me simply, as a friend to a friend. Tell Me now, My child, what hinders you from advancing in holiness?

Soul: Poor health detains me on the way to holiness. I cannot fulfill my duties. I am as useless as an extra wheel on a wagon. I cannot mortify myself or fast to any extent, as the saints did. (87) Furthermore, nobody believes I am sick, so that mental pain is added to those of the body, and I am often humiliated. Jesus, how can anyone become holy in such circumstances?

Jesus: True, my child, all that is painful. But there is no way to heaven except the way of the cross. I followed it first. You must learn that it is the shortest and surest way.

Soul: Lord, there is another obstacle on the road to holiness. Because I am faithful to You, I am persecuted and suffer much.

Jesus: It is because you are not of this world that the world hates you. First it persecuted Me. Persecution is a sign that you are following in My footsteps faithfully.

Soul: My Lord, I am also discouraged because neither my superiors nor my confessor understand my interior trials. A darkness clouds my mind. How can I advance? All this discourages me from striving for the heights of sanctity.

Jesus: Well, My child, this time you have told Me a good deal. I realize how painful it is not to be (88) understood, and especially by those whom one loves and with whom one has been very open. But suffice it to know that I understand all your troubles and misery. I am pleased by the deep faith you have, despite everything, in My representatives. Learn from this that no one will understand a soul entirely – that is beyond human ability. Therefore, I have remained on earth to comfort your aching heart and to fortify your soul, so that you will not falter on the way. You say that a dense darkness is obscuring your mind. But why, at such times, do you not come to Me, the light who can in an instant pour into your soul more understanding about holiness than can be found in any books? No confessor is capable of teaching and enlightening a soul in this way.

Know, too, that the darkness about which you complain I first endured in the Garden of Olives when My Soul was crushed in mortal anguish. I am giving you a share in those sufferings because of My special love for you and in view of the high degree of holiness I am (89) intending for you in heaven. A suffering soul is closest to My Heart.


Soul: One more thing, Lord. What should I do when I am ignored and rejected by people, especially by those on whom I had a right to count in times of greatest need?

Jesus: My child, make the resolution never to rely on people. Entrust yourself completely to My will saying, “Not as I want, but according to Your will, O God, let it be done unto me.” These words, spoken from the depths of one‟s heart, can raise a soul to the summit of sanctity in a short time. In such a soul I delight. Such a soul gives Me glory. Such a soul fills heaven with the fragrance of her virtue. But understand that the strength by which you bear sufferings comes from frequent Communions. So approach this fountain of mercy often, to draw with the vessel of trust whatever you need.

Soul: Thank You, Lord, for Your goodness in remaining with us in this exile as the God of mercy (90) and blessing us with the radiance of Your compassion and goodness. It is through the light of Your mercy that I have come to understand how much You love me.
Please continue to next post -
 
Extract from the Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska:
Diary of Saint Faustina - liturgicalyear.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/divine-mercy-in-my-soul.pdf

Conversation of the Merciful God with a Soul Striving after Perfection.

Jesus: I am pleased with your efforts, O soul aspiring for perfection, but why do I see you so often sad and depressed? Tell Me, My child, what is the meaning of this sadness, and what is its cause?

Soul: Lord, the reason for my sadness is that, in spite of my sincere resolutions, I fall again into the same faults. I make resolutions in the morning, but in the evenings I see how much I have departed from them.

Jesus: You see, My child, what you are of yourself. The cause of your falls is that you rely too much upon yourself and too little on Me. But let this not sadden you so much. You are dealing with the God of mercy, which your misery cannot exhaust. Remember, I did not allot only a certain number of pardons.

Soul: Yes, I know all that, (91) but great temptations assail me, and various doubts awaken within me and, moreover, everything irritates and discourages me.

Jesus: My child, know that the greatest obstacles to holiness are discouragement and an exaggerated anxiety. These will deprive you of the ability to practice virtue. All temptations united together ought not disturb your interior peace, not even momentarily. Sensitiveness and discouragement are the fruits of self-love. You should not become discouraged, but strive to make My love reign in place of your self-love. Have confidence, My child. Do not lose heart in coming for pardon, for I am always ready to forgive you. As often as you beg for it, you glorify My mercy.

Soul: I understand what is the better thing to do, what pleases You more, but I encounter great obstacles in acting on this understanding.

Jesus: My child, life on earth is a struggle indeed; a great struggle for My kingdom. But fear not, because you are not alone. I am always supporting you, (92) so lean on Me as you struggle, fearing nothing. Take the vessel of trust and draw from the fountain of life – for yourself, but also for other souls, especially such as are distrustful of My goodness.

Soul: O Lord, I feel my heart being filled with Your love and the rays of Your mercy and love piercing my soul. I go, Lord, at Your command. I go to conquer souls. Sustained by Your grace, I am ready to follow You, Lord, not only to Tabor, but also to Calvary. I desire to lead souls to the fount of Your mercy so that the splendor of Your mercy may be reflected in all souls, and the home of our Father be filled to overflowing. And when the enemy begins to attack me, I shall take refuge behind the shield of Your mercy.
Divine Mercy Image - St. Faustina

http://s8.postimg.org/422f1cyxh/Christ_9.jpg
 
From this forum post, sin is intolerable. Where is the encouragement for beginners of the Catholic faith? Sometimes it seems like all here is “this is wrong”, “that is a sin”, “you are wrong.” Get it, dont condone sin. No excuses. For beginners it feel overwhelming and VERY DISCOURAGING. As someone with many imperfections, I am guilty of almost all the seven deadly sins, except gluttony and greed. I am not so comfortable w/ how harsh some folks here are about correcting & calling out sin. WE ARE NOT ALL THERE YET. As someone with anger issues, I try really hard to control/bottle up my anger, then explode. I can only deal w/ so much. It seems unfair being anger is a sin. I have improved from getting in fist-fights in grade school til now. I have NOT YET perfected my anger. I am condemned. The only way to get to Jesus to be perfect.I still have my doubts about God, Jesus and the afterlife. It seems like you express any people ARE QUICK TO ATTACK.
I desire trust from My creatures. Encourage souls to place great trust in My fathomless mercy. Let the weak, sinful soul have no fear to approach Me, for even if it had more sins than there are grains of sand in the world, all would be drowned in the unmeasurable depths of My mercy.

divinemercy.com/faustina/
 
From this forum post, sin is intolerable. Where is the encouragement for beginners of the Catholic faith? Sometimes it seems like all here is “this is wrong”, “that is a sin”, “you are wrong.” Get it, dont condone sin. No excuses. For beginners it feel overwhelming and VERY DISCOURAGING. As someone with many imperfections, I am guilty of almost all the seven deadly sins, except gluttony and greed. I am not so comfortable w/ how harsh some folks here are about correcting & calling out sin. WE ARE NOT ALL THERE YET. As someone with anger issues, I try really hard to control/bottle up my anger, then explode. I can only deal w/ so much. It seems unfair being anger is a sin. I have improved from getting in fist-fights in grade school til now. I have NOT YET perfected my anger. I am condemned. The only way to get to Jesus to be perfect.I still have my doubts about God, Jesus and the afterlife. It seems like you express any people ARE QUICK TO ATTACK.
Try not to lose hope. We’re all works in progress; none of us is perfect. 🙂

Remember that some things we human beings see as “attacks” are not really personal attacks on YOU (or me), but simply “attacking” the misconceptions, misunderstandings, and false ideas presented as truth.

Unfortunately, as human beings, we don’t often do that perfectly, either. In our hurry to correct and defend truth, we might sometimes forget to use tact and kindness and encouragement. We might forget to include the hope of forgiveness and mercy.

Not everyone reprimands a sinner for the right reasons, though, and I’m not saying you’re wrong here on all counts, either. Sometimes what feels like an attack really is a personal attack. Some people are just jerks. 😦

I just would be careful not to assume that any correction is an attack, even if it’s worded poorly or incites you to anger.

Also, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t struggle with anger at times. I recently got a book called Anger and Forgiveness. Even though it’s only about 100 pages, I haven’t read all of it yet… but from what I’ve read of it so far, I think you might find it helpful, as well. 🙂

Will pray for you. :gopray2:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top