Being Embarrassed

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eilrahc
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eilrahc

Guest
I’m sure a lot of us are proud of being a devout Catholic (including me). But I was wondering if it’s a mortal sin to be embarrassed about some of our practices. Like for example… feeling embarrassed about praying at a restaurant.
 
First of all, feelings are not sins, so put your mind at ease there. And since you are not obligated to pray at a restuarant or any other specific place at any specific time (except in church), you are not committing a sin if you don’t pray before your meal. It’s a good thing to do and a good witness to others that there are still people of faith in this world, but you are not obligated to do it.
 
Why be embarrassed? Many times what matters is HOW you do things. At restaurants I just say simple prayers in my mind. It’s not necessary to clasp your hands and kneel, while leaning against the table.

Just a prayer in your mind? What do you have to feel embarrassed about, from doing that?
 
I make the sign of the cross, quietly say grace then sign again. I believe in God and know the food I am about to eat has been provided by Him. Who knows, our actions may inspire others to thank God for their blessings.
 
I make the sign of the cross, quietly say grace then sign again. I believe in God and know the food I am about to eat has been provided by Him. Who knows, our actions may inspire others to thank God for their blessings.
Sure, and there’s no reason to be embarrassed unless you are making a spectacle of yourself, and there’s no reason to make a spectacle of yourself unless you have sinful intent:
Matthew 6:5-6:
And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
So, just do it quietly and reasonably, and if you do, people won’t be staring at you and so you won’t have a need to feel embarrassed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top