Being Mocked

  • Thread starter Thread starter MJPalomo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorrowful mysteries-- scorging at the pillar and crowning with thorns. meditate on these and you will find comfort.
 
I would question their sincerity as friends. You should think about getting new friends. I’m not sure how hard it is to meet people at your uni, but at my uni people weren’t very friendly. But you know what? I managed to make friends with pretty awesome people :cool:

I do applaud you for your courage, it really takes guts and brains to do what you do! 👍

God bless,
Ellie.
 
I would question their sincerity as friends. You should think about getting new friends.
I have to agree with this sentiment. I partied a fair bit in college, but I refused to have premarital sex, even after my wife & I were engaged. My true friends may have ribbed me about it occasionally, but nothing serious and they were always supportive. The people who doubted and mocked me weren’t true friends and were not at all missed when I quit hanging around them.
 
I am twenty years old and in college. The group of people I hang out with know that I take my religion very seriously to the point of where I will limit myself from other college activities because of what the good lord wants from us. For example I will not sleep with other girls on campus and I will not go out on Saturday nights because I have Church the next day. I learned the other day that a few of the people just think its an excuse being afraid to do things. They imply that I use being Catholic as a front because I am just afraid to do things, mainly cause things such as sex are human nature and its natural. I do not remember giving signs of being fake, I’ve always been for real with what I do by going to church and reading even quoting the bible in my everyday life. Just not sure what to think of all this. Help anyone? Just for the record its not all my friends, just like two of them.
If they mock you for your beliefs then they aren’t your friends. I would seek other friends if you can. Stick to your guns. 👍
 
I also had some trouble with this in college. People are quick to say find new friends but sometimes that can be challenging in college. I was a very proactive person which was a huge help. I would encourage you to be active at church, go to young adult activities. Join a Catholic group if they have them on your campus. I did this my 4of 5 years and it changed me life. I never really gave into temptation before I joined the group but it helped me to become ever stronger in my faith.

Post college I joined ironically a Catholic volunteer program and quickly became the weird religious girl. I eventually made great friend the first year after there was more of understanding but the second year with brand new volunteers I struggled most of the year. However, I was not friendless, I went to many catholic events so I had a great set of solid friends. Another thing that may help introduce you is to help out with Lifeteen at a local parish. Chances are great that you can meet some serious catholic friends there and the core team has such a family aspect to it.

Praying for you and please keep us updated!
 
I am twenty years old and in college. The group of people I hang out with know that I take my religion very seriously to the point of where I will limit myself from other college activities because of what the good lord wants from us. For example I will not sleep with other girls on campus and I will not go out on Saturday nights because I have Church the next day. I learned the other day that a few of the people just think its an excuse being afraid to do things. They imply that I use being Catholic as a front because I am just afraid to do things, mainly cause things such as sex are human nature and its natural. I do not remember giving signs of being fake, I’ve always been for real with what I do by going to church and reading even quoting the bible in my everyday life. Just not sure what to think of all this. Help anyone? Just for the record its not all my friends, just like two of them.
Those of us who are counter cultural are always going to be a source of wonder to those who go along with the grand majority.

I am curious though - why not go out on a Saturday night? Why would you not be able to go to Mass the next day? Or go to Vigil Mass on Saturday so you could join your friends occasionally?

Anyway, I know it hurts. I am one of those people who constantly has to remind myself that not everyone is going to think I am the greatest thing since sliced bread and that some people will not like me. It is ok. Some people (you said two) think you are afraid of life and hiding out. Bully for them.

Hold fast to the Truth, sweetheart…it means more than you can ever know.
 
I am curious though - why not go out on a Saturday night? Why would you not be able to go to Mass the next day? Or go to Vigil Mass on Saturday so you could join your friends occasionally?
Well in all honesty its not like I never go out on a saturday night, I’ll go be a designated driver or just go out to hang out, I’m just not a fan of going to church with a hangover or half asleep. on friday nights i will go out or nights where I dont have class the next day, I just enjoy Sunday morning mass and I prefer to go fully awake.
 
I would be afraid… afraid of going to hell. Too bad they’re not.
 
Just for the record its not all my friends, just like two of them.
Alternatively, since “a little yeast affects the whole dough”, as St. Paul wrote somewhere, perhaps the two “troublemakers” can be “disinvited” from the group you hang out with.
 
They imply that I use being Catholic as a front because I am just afraid to do things, mainly cause things such as sex are human nature and its natural. .
First of all, I am going to make the assumption you have never made them feel judged for their choices and they don’t feel like you are looking down at them. And if that is truly the case, that argument they use of ‘fear’, sounds like some kind of swinging hippies theory from the 60s. It is a common argument used by people who feel threatened by someone who is strong enough to do the right thing.

It could come from a variety of sources
  • Deep down they know you are right and want you to partake in their activies to soothe their guilt
  • They really are getting nearly as much sex and they think the cool guys are getting and are exagerating their ‘conquests’ out of insecurity
  • They actually find each sexual encounter disappointing and/or are embarrassed that they fell for yet another pretty girl only to realize it wasn’t worth it
I wouldn’t let them get your goat. They are the ones with the problem. Believe it or not, a very effective strategy is to look away and say nothing. Rude yes, but can be effective

CM
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top