D
dronald
Guest
Before taking the step in bringing a compelling and historical account for Believers Baptism I wanted to give a disclaimer that I’m not used to writing up essays contrary to Catholic beliefs. I love defending Christianity more than anything, in fact Islam is a faith that I enjoy more than anything writing against. I feel that I only help cause confusion and separation when I write opposing beliefs against Catholics and Protestants alike to read; however it’s also important that I am able to reasonably hold a position without bias when questioned on, “Why in the world would you believe what you believe, you silly Evangelical.” I take my position very seriously, because to me it’s truth, just like to you Catholicism is truth. I think we are passionate about our beliefs and it causes anger, confusion, aggression, and outright negativity; but we know that when Christ is present there is no need for that. I don’t for an instant want to claim that, “I’m right, you’re wrong because my Church says so.” And I’m expecting the replies to be aggressive and often belittling, but I want us to remain Christ-like; Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Anglican, Evangelical, etc. Perhaps such a disclaimer was unneeded but I know the passion that is within each and every poster representing their own beliefs, and it’s never my intention to step on that.
Finally, the reason I am writing this (besides constantly getting questioned on the historicity of believers baptism when I defend it from a Biblical perspective) is that I’ve found a library of books that touch on this topic from an Evangelical perspective and yet there is barely anything on the internet regarding the Early Church Fathers. I’ve looked, it’s hard to find; so I would present this to CAF and hopefully this can be a resource for fellow Evangelicals and for myself to look back on when other Catholics question my beliefs. Read with an open mind, and accept that my position is indeed historical but still contrary to yours, which is equally historical. The big book that I used to support my beliefs is, “Believers Baptism” by Thomas R. Schreiner and Shawn D. Wright. The Patristic Writings section defends against the writings of Joachim Jeremias but does so using maturity and is written on a scholarly level.
This is not meant to be a debate on authority, as I know this is a hot button when the CC is questioned. So I hope it doesn’t go that way. Enjoy.
Finally, the reason I am writing this (besides constantly getting questioned on the historicity of believers baptism when I defend it from a Biblical perspective) is that I’ve found a library of books that touch on this topic from an Evangelical perspective and yet there is barely anything on the internet regarding the Early Church Fathers. I’ve looked, it’s hard to find; so I would present this to CAF and hopefully this can be a resource for fellow Evangelicals and for myself to look back on when other Catholics question my beliefs. Read with an open mind, and accept that my position is indeed historical but still contrary to yours, which is equally historical. The big book that I used to support my beliefs is, “Believers Baptism” by Thomas R. Schreiner and Shawn D. Wright. The Patristic Writings section defends against the writings of Joachim Jeremias but does so using maturity and is written on a scholarly level.
This is not meant to be a debate on authority, as I know this is a hot button when the CC is questioned. So I hope it doesn’t go that way. Enjoy.