Benedict and Harry Potter

  • Thread starter Thread starter BigDL75
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
…yes, and we understand you’re not Catholic.

Which explains why you have yet to comment on paragraph 2117.

Once again, *paragraph 2117

All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.*

The literary debate and comparisons are enlightening, engaging and charming, but I have yet to hear an analysis of the “Catholic Rule Book” from any of you English professors as it pertains to reading Harry Potter.

Catholic Potter readers, especially, please.

SC
A: Take a joke.
B: I feel no reason to take seriously the concerns of anyone who assumes a non-catholic is inherently more capable of evil behavior.
 
A: Take a joke.
B: I feel no reason to take seriously the concerns of anyone who assumes a non-catholic is inherently more capable of evil behavior.
A. Your joke gets a C.

I’ve heard better – and, as I’ve told you before, I don’t like your flippant way of disregarding what you don’t understand/don’t agree with/don’t care to think about, like you did in B:

B. Easy way to avoid the argument – but this is a poor assumption. These words didn’t come out of my mouth, LS, nor did they come from Lost&Found.

L&F would probably agree with me when I say we don’t know the hearts of men, nor are we dead yet.

A loving atheist can be a “better” person than a hateful, spiteful, disgusting, abusing Catholic – yet, that Catholic has the sacrament of confession available to him. And then we have to remember that even the most “saintly” person on the face of this earth can fly to hell at their death, and that the worst theif may spend his eternity in paradise.

Which is why, in my humble opinion, it’s stupid to waste one’s time on “questionable” material.

But, if you can consume this stuff (and still worship your soda cans), and find a way to not let it affect you, an adult, more power to ya.

I just remember I’m accountable for myself and my children at this point, so I’m not going near it.

SC
 
Another good point, I think, is that if reading about witchcraft is wrong, can we also not read about theives? Does that make The Hobbit and A Clockwork Orange off limits? What about sex? Because that would put Dances with Wolves and All Quiet on the Western Front on the list.

Yes, I know I’m stretching a bit, but I think the point is there.
Yeah, I can agree with this. I can read “adult” stuff and “filter.” The problem is, my kids can’t.

You weren’t stretching it.

Stretching it is becoming the theif, becoming the perv, which was the point behind finding Harry Potter objectionable for children.

Witchcraft, wicca etc is obtainable to any kid, at any age.

I can’t see children being permitted to read this stuff and then being told by their Catholic parents, “Oh, by the way, this stuff is wrong in real life, okay? Let’s go over the Catechism together where it demonstrates how wizardry and sorcery are demonic and against the Faith.”

“Can we still get the 7th book when it comes out?”

“You bet, honey…we’ll be at the midnight party like we were the 6 times before! By the way, did you see the new wizard hat I found??!”

This is why I was questioning Catholic parents…no offense to non-Catholics.

SC
 
Another good point, I think, is that if reading about witchcraft is wrong, can we also not read about theives? Does that make The Hobbit and A Clockwork Orange off limits? What about sex? Because that would put Dances with Wolves and All Quiet on the Western Front on the list.

Yes, I know I’m stretching a bit, but I think the point is there.
Yeah, I can agree with this. I can read “adult” stuff and “filter.” The problem is, my kids can’t.

You weren’t stretching it.

Stretching it is becoming the theif, becoming the perv, which was the point behind finding Harry Potter objectionable for children.

Witchcraft, wicca etc is obtainable to any kid, at any age.

I can’t see children being permitted to read this stuff and then being told by their Catholic parents, “Oh, by the way, this stuff is wrong in real life, okay? Let’s go over the Catechism together where it demonstrates how wizardry and sorcery are demonic and against the Faith.”

“Can we still get the 7th book when it comes out?”

“You bet, honey…”

This is why I was questioning Catholic parents…no offense intended to non-Catholics.

SC
 
I can comment and I am a Catholic! It says practicing witchcraft is wrong. It says ZIP about READING ABOUT IT!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Have you read the Da Vince Code? Did you see the movie?

As a Catholic, would you recommend the book and/or movie?

SC
 
Have you read the Da Vince Code? Did you see the movie?

As a Catholic, would you recommend the book and/or movie?

SC
In one shot: Is I misinterpreted you above, my apologies.

And

As a non-Catholic, I would not reccommend the book. In fact, that’s too kind. The book is a waste of paper. It offends me personally that people are buying it when they could be spending money on the classics. I would fall short of destroying the book (that’s toof ar for any book) but I would jump up and down on it or something. A lot. One of the more putridly written books I have ever read. Characters have no depth, story is linear and plays like a bad action movie with no action, it’s over-expository, and it offers no one of any kind of virtue on the opposing side from the main characters.

The movie was okay, though, as big budget hollywood movies go. I don’t tend to expect as much out of a two hour movie as I do out of a much longer book. And the acting was decent to good; Paul Bettany ironically stole the show as the book’s least interesting character amid a slew of uninteresting characters.
 
Wrong thread. 😉 I’d be glad to comment on Theosophy, but this is a popular media thread about the popular Harry Potter books.

Or popularly unpopular​

40.png
Liberalsaved:
As a non-Catholic, I would not reccommend the book. In fact, that’s too kind. The book is a waste of paper. It offends me personally that people are buying it when they could be spending money on the classics. I would fall short of destroying the book (that’s toof ar for any book) but I would jump up and down on it or something. A lot. One of the more putridly written books I have ever read. Characters have no depth, story is linear and plays like a bad action movie with no action, it’s over-expository, and it offers no one of any kind of virtue on the opposing side from the main characters.

The movie was okay, though, as big budget hollywood movies go. I don’t tend to expect as much out of a two hour movie as I do out of a much longer book. And the acting was decent to good; Paul Bettany ironically stole the show as the book’s least interesting character amid a slew of uninteresting characters.

I think it must be one of the poorest films I’ve ever seen - it was dull, the plot was all over the place, not plausible within the fiction…I wouldn’t see it again.​

I did like Paul Bettany’s fanatical assassin-monk, though 🙂

I’m still on chapter two after several months - only 580 pages to go 🙂 ##
 
Well… In fact, there is a problem with Harry Potter books… Unfortunately, it’s something more than plain fantasy novels… The problem is that, much to my surprise, I have discovered that the rituals described in these novels are not ficticious - they are real rituals used by Wiccans, etc. If it’s gonna hurt your children spiritually, that’s up to you to answer… It’s like with a Satanic music or hymns - you don’t have to be a Satanist to be influenced badly by this… So, be careful…
 
Well… In fact, there is a problem with Harry Potter books… Unfortunately, it’s something more than plain fantasy novels… The problem is that, much to my surprise, I have discovered that the rituals described in these novels are not ficticious - they are real rituals used by Wiccans, etc. If it’s gonna hurt your children spiritually, that’s up to you to answer… It’s like with a Satanic music or hymns - you don’t have to be a Satanist to be influenced badly by this… So, be careful…
Oh, Lord… here we go again. :rolleyes: Can you provide a source for this? Perhaps a citation from a Wiccan ritual guidebook and the comparable passage from Harry Potter?
 
Oh, Lord… here we go again. :rolleyes: Can you provide a source for this? Perhaps a citation from a Wiccan ritual guidebook and the comparable passage from Harry Potter?
I could… But… I have no Harry Potter books at my disposal at the time so I cannot pick them up and fulfill your curiosity… But, you know, for many years I was a practitioner of ceremonial magick, wicca, santeria, demonology, etc. … so I simply know what I’m talking about…
 
I have read 5 of the 7 (haven’t had time to read the last 2 yet) and have found nothing wrong with them. The later ones are a bit wordy, but they are simple, harmless, escapism.
 
I stayed away from these books for years, until a couple of good Catholic writers came out defending them and my daughter (almost simultaneously) brought one home from the library and asked if we could read them. I blessed the book with holy water (lol) and said we’d take it one page at a time. I found them to be very sweet, very imaginative and funny, but at times extremely dark.

My main concern is that Rowling’s books show children solving their problems through the occult, often lying and breaking rules, refusing help from loving adults and more. My policy with questionable material like this, which has the virtue of being a captivating series of read-aloud stories, is to share it and discuss it. This process, which we have used with all media, has made my literate nine-year-old a very discerning consumer who can spot inappropriate material a mile off. However, every child is different. If I thought she couldn’t understand the difference between fantasy and reality, I would forbid these books, as I have known witches and ex-witches and an ex professional clairvoyant (having spent years as an actress in NYC), all of whom had serious mental and spiritual problems resulting from exposure to the new-age and the occult.

We have to be in the world without being of it, and our children need lots of prayer, every single day. Use these books with caution, but not fear.
 
I like the movies and am adding the book collection to my Xmas list so I can start reading them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top