White Magic is a trap for suckers, of course. All people who really believe in it (e.g. Native Americans) don’t trust the good any more than the bad. The Navajo, for instance, are leery of singers (shamans), or used to be, because they know so much about witchcraft…what’s to stop them from pointing bones (cursing people)?
Heheheheh. Anyway. My impression was that Amorth has, in fact, seen children led to the occult by Harry Potter, which is more than likely. Dumb kids with bad parents will do stupid things, and there is a lot of real alchemy in the books (more, in fact, than in FullMetal Alchemist, which is about alchemy). So he’s just saying what he’s seen.
And frankly, I think HH Benedict was just saying, Yes, be careful wherever you have stories about magic. The books are ever-so-slightly Christian, but what does that mean? The Rosicrucians regard themselves as Christians, Anglicans are nominal Christians (even the Ancient Order of Druids), and Moonies say they’re Christian, too.
Kids get headaches from reading anything, not just Harry Potter. And I’d rather kids read decent stuff with imagination, like Harry Potter, than the garbage the American Lie-brary Association recommends. Heather Has Two Mommies! Baby’s First Necronomicon! The NAMBLA Guide to What to Do On a Date! (OK, I’m being sarcastic. But not as sarcastic as I wish I was being).
Frankly, I’m just glad my little sister hasn’t heard about this. I don’t need to be the older brother of the girl who shot the Pope.