Benedict XVI's "Novel" Traditions

  • Thread starter Thread starter NeelyAnn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NeelyAnn

Guest
Click To Link Original

**Benedict XVI’s “Novel” Traditions **

**Interview With Consultor for Pontifical Liturgies **

[edited]

Finally, in regard to the way of distributing Holy Communion to the faithful, one needs to distinguish the aspect of receiving it kneeling from that of receiving it on the tongue. In the actual ordinary form of the Roman Rite – or the Mass of Paul VI – the faithful have a right to receive Communion standing or kneeling. If the Holy Father has decided to have communicants kneel, I think – obviously this is only my personal opinion – that he holds this to be the more appropriate posture to express the sense of adoration that we must always cultivate before the gift of the Eucharist. It is an aid that the Pope gives to those who receive Communion from him, which helps them to consider attentively who He is who is received in the most holy Eucharist.

On the other hand, in “Sacramentum Caritatis,” citing St. Augustine, the Holy Father recalled that in receiving the Eucharistic Bread we must adore it, because we would sin if we received it without adoring it. Before receiving Communion, the priest himself genuflects before the Host – why not help the faithful cultivate the sense of proper adoration through a similar gesture?

In regard to Communion in the hand, it must be remembered that this is possible in many places today – possible but not obligatory – but that it is, and remains, a concession, a dispensation from the ordinary norm that affirms that Communion is received on the tongue. This concession was made to individual bishops’ conferences that asked for it and it is not the Holy See that suggests it or promotes it. And, in any case, no bishop, as a member of a bishops’ conference that has asked for and obtained the indult, is obliged to accept it and apply it in his diocese: Every bishop can always decide to apply the universal norm – which is still in force – in his diocese. According to this norm, the faithful must receive Holy Communion on the tongue. If no bishop in the world is obliged to take advantage of the indult, how can the Pope be obliged? In fact, it is important that the Holy Father maintain the traditional rule, confirmed by Paul VI, who prohibited the faithful from receiving Communion in the hand (for further details, see Mauro Gagliardi, “La Liturgia: Fonte di Vita” [Verona: Fede & Cultura, 2009, p. 170-181]).

[edited]
 
[edited]

**Finally, in regard to the way of distributing Holy Communion to the faithful, one needs to distinguish the aspect of receiving it kneeling from that of receiving it on the tongue. In the actual ordinary form of the Roman Rite – or the Mass of Paul VI – the faithful have a right to receive Communion standing or kneeling. If the Holy Father has decided to have communicants kneel, I think – obviously this is only my personal opinion – that he holds this to be the more appropriate posture to express the sense of adoration that we must always cultivate before the gift of the Eucharist. It is an aid that the Pope gives to those who receive Communion from him, which helps them to consider attentively who He is who is received in the most holy Eucharist.

On the other hand, in “Sacramentum Caritatis,” citing St. Augustine, the Holy Father recalled that in receiving the Eucharistic Bread we must adore it, because we would sin if we received it without adoring it. Before receiving Communion, the priest himself genuflects before the Host – why not help the faithful cultivate the sense of proper adoration through a similar gesture?

In regard to Communion in the hand, it must be remembered that this is possible in many places today – possible but not obligatory – but that it is, and remains, a concession, a dispensation from the ordinary norm that affirms that Communion is received on the tongue. This concession was made to individual bishops’ conferences that asked for it and it is not the Holy See that suggests it or promotes it. And, in any case, no bishop, as a member of a bishops’ conference that has asked for and obtained the indult, is obliged to accept it and apply it in his diocese: Every bishop can always decide to apply the universal norm – which is still in force – in his diocese. According to this norm, the faithful must receive Holy Communion on the tongue. If no bishop in the world is obliged to take advantage of the indult, how can the Pope be obliged? In fact, it is important that the Holy Father maintain the traditional rule, confirmed by Paul VI, who prohibited the faithful from receiving Communion in the hand (for further details, see Mauro Gagliardi, “La Liturgia: Fonte di Vita” [Verona: Fede & Cultura, 2009, p. 170-181]). **

[edited]
 
I really like that the Pope allows us to kneel for communion. I did it once at a Latin mass I went to and it was A THOUSAND TIMES better.

The only problem is that without the communion rail, we can’t do this. And with most people not even knowing about Communion on the tongue, this would be another impossibility.

I pray that the indult is removed and we all must receive communion kneeling and on the tongue again(I’m not some reminiscent 80 year old, I’m 18 and see a huge need for this. Reverence has been lost). I have had nightmares where the Eucharist was spread all over the Church because nobody cared, and so there were crumbs everywhere. And I think that this is the state of our churches today (on my signature is a video where you see just how many crumbs/Christ’s Body! are discarded through communion in the hand.)

Removing the indult would be a loud wake-up call for the lukewarm Catholics to get their act together, and respect God already.
 
I really like that the Pope allows us to kneel for communion. I did it once at a Latin mass I went to and it was A THOUSAND TIMES better.

The only problem is that without the communion rail, we can’t do this. And with most people not even knowing about Communion on the tongue, this would be another impossibility.

I pray that the indult is removed and we all must receive communion kneeling and on the tongue again(I’m not some reminiscent 80 year old, I’m 18 and see a huge need for this. Reverence has been lost). I have had nightmares where the Eucharist was spread all over the Church because nobody cared, and so there were crumbs everywhere. And I think that this is the state of our churches today (on my signature is a video where you see just how many crumbs/Christ’s Body! are discarded through communion in the hand.)

Removing the indult would be a loud wake-up call for the lukewarm Catholics to get their act together, and respect God already.
If you’re 18, then you don’t remember that back when COTT was the only allowed way to receive Holy Communion the world had not yet grown accustomed to the words of George Carlin or Richard Pryor, it did not have 500 channels, most of which children ought never watch without strict supervision because the shows are dedicated to indecency and flippancy, and no one, but no one, could even imagine a member of Congress yelling “You lie!” during a speech to a joint session of Congress by the President of the United States, let alone a representative hailing from South Carolina. You do not remember the days when few women would show up at a grocery store in the clothing that can be seen nowadays at Sunday Mass, and when sweatpants and athletic shoes were only worn by adults when actually engaging in exercise. You don’t remember the days when a gentleman would be reviled for failing to open the door for a lady, instead of reviled for doing it.

I don’t expect that changing the rules about Holy Communion will revive reverence in a people who have abandoned the concept of respect. That doesn’t mean the change should not be attempted, or that it is doomed to fail. I only mean it will not be a panacea for irreverence in a population that thinks it an unfair imposition to even be bothered with manners. Respect God? That would require a positive understanding of the concept of respect. You cannot get blood out of a turnip.

Alas, I’d like to think otherwise, but I am not be so sure that there is enough obedience left in the Church to accomplish the letter of such a law, let alone the spirit of it. It is more likely to come back successfully as an option that is mandated, rather than as the only allowed option.

The most recent changes in the Mass came in at a time when obedience was considered a virtue among American Catholics. Now, the reverse is true. Defiance is a virtue, if for the right cause; obedience, a form of cowardice. Authority is thought bad when it is never indulgent, good when it corrects only when absolutely necessary. This is now true across the spectrum of liberal to conservative. If Latin were still the rule, it could not be pried out of the fingers of those who favored it with a crowbar. Had it not been done when it had been, trying to do it now would cause a schism, I have no doubt of it. Removing the indult would be a loud “wake-up call” for defiant Catholics that the heirarchy is up for a rumble, and the more public, the better. I am afraid that the lukewarm ones in the peanut gallery will not even take the matter seriously.

I think the bishops are wise to choose their battles. I hope you’ll have some compassion for that. I’d be thrilled if they convinced the pastors to offer the option of receiving Holy Communion while kneeling a communion rail, where parish church architecture allows it, because that is where I think this effort needs to start. Otherwise, it’s not going to happen.
 
Click To Link Original

**Benedict XVI’s “Novel” Traditions **

**Interview With Consultor for Pontifical Liturgies **

[edited]

Finally, in regard to the way of distributing Holy Communion to the faithful, one needs to distinguish the aspect of receiving it kneeling from that of receiving it on the tongue. In the actual ordinary form of the Roman Rite – or the Mass of Paul VI --** the faithful have a right to receive Communion standing or kneeling.** If the Holy Father has decided to have communicants kneel, I think – obviously this is only my personal opinion – that he holds this to be the more appropriate posture to express the sense of adoration that we must always cultivate before the gift of the Eucharist. It is an aid that the Pope gives to those who receive Communion from him, which helps them to consider attentively who He is who is received in the most holy Eucharist.

[edited]
Ever since the Communion rails have been removed, the choice of kneeling to receive Communion is not much of an option for those who have some difficulty getting down and up. It would be nice if at least a prie dieu was available.
 
And with most people not even knowing about Communion on the tongue, this would be another impossibility.
How can people not know about receiving communion on the tongue? When children make their first communion aren’t they taught to kneel, don’t they receive their first communion kneeling? Isn’t this the practice in all catholic churches for first communion? I am quite certain it is in the Cleveland Diocese. I am very fortunate, St. Mary’s in Akron, never removed the communion rails.
 
I really like that the Pope allows us to kneel for communion. I did it once at a Latin mass I went to and it was A THOUSAND TIMES better.

The only problem is that without the communion rail, we can’t do this. And with most people not even knowing about Communion on the tongue, this would be another impossibility.
A few kneelers in front might work. Then maybe people would start getting the message about kneeling and receiving on the tongue.
 
How can people not know about receiving communion on the tongue?
Very easily. You just don’t tell them.
When children make their first communion aren’t they taught to kneel, don’t they receive their first communion kneeling?
I made my First Communion shortly after the US Bicentennial, and we were never taught to kneel for Communion, nor did I often see it done. The Communion rails had been down since before I was born. I was taught to receive on the tongue, but that was more or less wiped out in the late seventies and early eighties. Certainly it is almost impossible for an adult to receive on the tongue unless the priest is high up or the adult is kneeling.

Very few children are taught to receive on the tongue, although the number is growing again now.
 
I made my First Communion shortly after the US Bicentennial, and we were never taught to kneel for Communion, nor did I often see it done. The Communion rails had been down since before I was born. I was taught to receive on the tongue, but that was more or less wiped out in the late seventies and early eighties. Certainly it is almost impossible for an adult to receive on the tongue unless the priest is high up or the adult is kneeling.

Very few children are taught to receive on the tongue, although the number is growing again now.
Almost impossible? I’m not a tall EMHC, and I’ve not had a problem giving COTT to standing communicants, even the sort of tall ones. I’ve not had anyone so tall I could not reach them. I’m guessing that if I ever did, they’d bend their knees to accomodate my height (or lack of it).

But you’re right: there are parishes where essentially no one receives COTT, except maybe the parents with babes in arms. It is conceivable that some kids aren’t taught how and never see it done.
 
I like the logic defense of the Holy Father enforcing his will when offering Mass. Well done.
Before receiving Communion, the priest himself genuflects before the Host – why not help the faithful cultivate the sense of proper adoration through a similar gesture?
This is the only thing I think is not necessarily a logical defense. The GIRM makes it clear in many places that some gestures are for the clergy, some for the laity.
 
If you’re 18, then you don’t remember that back when COTT was the only allowed way to receive Holy Communion the world had not yet grown accustomed to the words of George Carlin or Richard Pryor, it did not have 500 channels…
There is still hope left. The Church cannot fall, but many intelligent people believe that it must be small and persecuted again in order to survive. I hope that you will have some faith in my generation. Two of my good friends are being called to the priesthood, and many like me are trying to grab hold of what tradition we have left, and pass it on to our children(and we’re the ones who’ll be having all of the children, since the liberals and bad people kill all of theirs). Please don’t lose hope, society does seem to be going to hell, but all the more reason for us to be a radical, public example in our faith that draws the lost and hopeless to join Christ’s Church. When the generation who grew up through the “reforms” is gone, I am praying that mine is good enough to start back from scratch.
How can people not know about receiving communion on the tongue? When children make their first communion aren’t they taught to kneel, don’t they receive their first communion kneeling? Isn’t this the practice in all catholic churches for first communion? I am quite certain it is in the Cleveland Diocese. I am very fortunate, St. Mary’s in Akron, never removed the communion rails.
You are definitely blessed! And I cannot even convey how much I wish I was in your position, not knowing… my first communion I remember practicing how to receive in the hand. NOBODY tells them about kneeling. The only positive is that girls wear veils(EDIT: And of course receive the Body of Christ :D). And that’s basically it.

I’m not so sure about the Cleveland diocese… my family in Mentor goes to a church without kneelers! :eek:

My issue here is as much about the Latin being removed as it is with the unfaithful translation, and purging of tradition.

God bless you guys! A good thread like this is always enough to get some things off your chest. I try to talk with my family about this and they get really put out, and just ask me to stop.🤷
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top