Benedict's "Jesus of Nazareth" issues

  • Thread starter Thread starter Crumpy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crumpy

Guest
At the end of chapter 4, he mentions that Jesus did not give a lot of specifics about what is right and wrong, but Benedict says that it is left to human reason to figure it out.

Well, that’s my first question. What does this mean? Has anybody expanded on what he means, etc.?

Also, at the end of ch. 4, he talks about the “natural evolution” of Christianity. Well, that too sounds like a big deal, but the Pope just mentions it and dashes to the next chapter. Well, what’s THAT all about, too? If you open the door to “natural evolution” of Christianity, I can envision a female priesthood, for one thing – not that I’m agreeing with it.But, evolution of a female ministry has come out in both Judaism and Protestantism.

so, what are (or were) your reactions to these surprising separate issues?
 
I think your reading too much into what he wrote 😉 or taking the terms in ways not intended…
 
I think your reading too much into what he wrote 😉 or taking the terms in ways not intended…
It sounds like you didn’t read it. C’mon back when you’ve read it. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID, EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTED TO SAY. THERE’S ABSOLUTELY NO ‘SPIN’ TO MY QUESTION.

Thanks for stopping by.
 
I have read it – one of very my favorite books 🙂 (see my profile -tis the only work I list by name other than Sacred Scripture)

(I am not saying there is any “spin” to your question – just that I think there was some reading into things or terms more than what he intends (etc)…which can happen in any reading… for anyone. I did not intend anything “personal” by what I noted --just gave my honest impression in terms of the question)
 
At the end of chapter 4, he mentions that Jesus did not give a lot of specifics about what is right and wrong, but Benedict says that it is left to human reason to figure it out.

Well, that’s my first question. What does this mean? Has anybody expanded on what he means, etc.?

Also, at the end of ch. 4, he talks about the “natural evolution” of Christianity. Well, that too sounds like a big deal, but the Pope just mentions it and dashes to the next chapter. Well, what’s THAT all about, too? If you open the door to “natural evolution” of Christianity, I can envision a female priesthood, for one thing – not that I’m agreeing with it.But, evolution of a female ministry has come out in both Judaism and Protestantism.

so, what are (or were) your reactions to these surprising separate issues?
Are you speaking of the first or the second book? I scanned the last few pages of chapter 4 in both books and cannot find either of these ideas. Can you be more specific on were these can be found?
Without knowing more of the context it hard to have any reaction.
 
No worries – He for sure does not mean any “evolution” to a “female Priesthood” he is the one who reminded the world that such is infallible…

And he certainly recognizes the Revelation involved in Christianity.

As to right and wrong – Jesus did not teach a Moral Theology course… though he does make various things very clear…

Theology is the* reasoning *about revelation. About the Revelation of Jesus as well as the rest of Revelation – including such as the Commandments etc.

Much is left to reason to reason from what is revealed …

or to reason about Natural Moral Law which is inscribed in our nature by God.

And often made more clear in Revelation.
 
It sounds like you didn’t read it. C’mon back when you’ve read it. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID, EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTED TO SAY. THERE’S ABSOLUTELY NO ‘SPIN’ TO MY QUESTION.

Thanks for stopping by.
I have also read it and I agree with Bookcat.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top