Best Catholic apologist?

  • Thread starter Thread starter charlesbarkley
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the scriptures do say that the wisdom of this world is foolishness compared to the wisdom of God— Could it be that these great scientists:p (ones who advocate an old earth, Heliocentrism, evolution etc) are wrong, and people like little old Bob Sungenis (agreeing with the Early Church fathers) be correct??? :confused: 👍 IT WOULD BE GREAT ON JUDGMENT DAY IF WE FOUND THAT THAT WAS JUST THE CASE!!!😃
Why would God allow scientists to decieve us? They can’t all be lying; not all of them are atheists. The earth is the centre of the universe, so far as we are important to God; its a metaphore. I don’t think we should take it literally. And the whole centre of the universe thing is based on the work of a “pagan” called Aristotle.

Just think about it, where does it say in the Bible that the sun spins around the earth? The Grand Sciences of earlier times ought not to be confuesd with Official Church Doctrine/“Theology”
 
Why would God allow scientists to decieve us? They can’t all be lying; not all of them are atheists. The earth is the centre of the universe, so far as we are important to God; its a metaphore. I don’t think we should take it literally. And the whole centre of the universe thing is based on the work of a “pagan” called Aristotle.

Just think about it, where does it say in the Bible that the sun spins around the earth? The Grand Sciences of earlier times ought not to be confuesd with Official Church Doctrine/“Theology”
Why would God allow anything? c’mon take that back!!! Too easy to destroy—
 
One not mentioned so far is Piers Paul Read, a British apologist. Take a look at his Hell and Other Destinations, a collection of his essays.
good point !! I have often wondered who the “Karl Keatings,” “Jimmy Akins,” “Scott Hahns,” “Pat Madrids,” Bob Sungeniss" etc of other countries are??😃
 
Id be interested in hearing some of your opinions about how good of debators these guys are. It is easy, sometimes, to write about a particular point or talk about a point when no one is there to debate you. Your thoughts on these apologists as debators would be aprreciated:thumbsup: d.
 
Scott Hahn. No contest - though the other guys are great
I like Hahn too. He kept me in the Church years ago. However, I was a little surprised at his “top of the list” rating because of some of the controversies he has had over the last couple of years. (prima scriptura, femine attributions to the Holy Spirit, and some other criticisms)
 
I like Hahn too. He kept me in the Church years ago. However, I was a little surprised at his “top of the list” rating because of some of the controversies he has had over the last couple of years. (prima scriptura, femine attributions to the Holy Spirit, and some other criticisms)
Prima scriptura??? What is that? my guess, and it is just a guess, is it suggests that scripture is number one above all else where it speaks directly on an issue. But what are the controversies about?

Keith
 
Prima scriptura??? What is that? my guess, and it is just a guess, is it suggests that scripture is number one above all else where it speaks directly on an issue. But what are the controversies about?

Keith
Do a google search on Scott Hahn and Prima Scriptura and you will get the pros, cons and everything in between.
 
Didn’t know anything about the whole “prima scriptura” controversy, but it would not change my vote. I voted Scott Hahn because he was VERY instrumental in bringing me into the Church. As a former Evangelical who was an active member of a church in Boston with very close ties to Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary (the seminary Hahn attended), Hahn really spoke my language. My protestant family (even my Dad who is a minister) and friends are also reading his books now, and they are absolutely floored. Scott Hahn definitely has my vote!!!
 
Didn’t know anything about the whole “prima scriptura” controversy, but it would not change my vote. I voted Scott Hahn because he was VERY instrumental in bringing me into the Church. As a former Evangelical who was an active member of a church in Boston with very close ties to Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary (the seminary Hahn attended), Hahn really spoke my language. My protestant family (even my Dad who is a minister) and friends are also reading his books now, and they are absolutely floored. Scott Hahn definitely has my vote!!!
Me too–when I was in High School(and didnt know much) evangelical Protestants almost made me leave the Catholic Church until I heard Hahn’s conversion tape–very powerful --May God Bless Hahn and his work!!👍
 
Scott Hahn is orthodox (small “o”) to the bone. I don’t believe the charges that have been made about him

He’s still number one in my book
 
Do a google search on Scott Hahn and Prima Scriptura and you will get the pros, cons and everything in between.
I am definitely not a theologian, and have only just began to investigate this issue,but from where I stand it looks a though Hahn is within the boundaries of orthodoxy on this issue. There is an old thread on this issue for those who might be interested.

Keith
 
I haven’t read all of this thread. Are there any people who have cited Dave Armstrong besides me?
 
I haven’t read all of this thread. Are there any people who have cited Dave Armstrong besides me?
yes people have mentioned him–I think the three top apologists are Akin, Hahn, Sungenis–not necessarily in that order—I mean Sungenis has to be good if James White is afraid to debate him–White has een challenged many times by Sungens, but wont debate him anymore–
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top