Best Historical Jesus Scholarship

  • Thread starter Thread starter Epistemes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Epistemes

Guest
What are the best, most accessible academic books on the Historical Jesus? (And to beat the conservatives at their own game I’ll go ahead and say “The Gospels.”)

Seriously, I’ve been browsing through bibliographies on the subject, but don’t know where to start. Should I dive right in with John Meier’s Marginal Jew? Should I start with N.T.Wright’s 700-page tomes? Or should I go with Bruce Chilton’s Rabbi Jesus, or the works of Geza Vermes?
 
frankly having read all of these in various college courses, I would advise anyone interested in meeting the historical Jesus to go to original sources, the Gospels.
 
I’d recommend the magisterial Marginal Jew series by John Meier, now in four volumes with one more expected. Really fine scholarship, clearly written. Meier is a Catholic priest who is on the faculty at Notre Dame, by the way. Try vol. 1, then see if you’re prepared to make the further commitment to the rest of the series.
 
frankly having read all of these in various college courses, I would advise anyone interested in meeting the historical Jesus to go to original sources, the Gospels.
Heh, Epistemes saw this response coming from a mile away!

I suggest the book “Jesus of Nazareth” by Pope Benedict XVI.
 
Heh, Epistemes saw this response coming from a mile away!

I suggest the book “Jesus of Nazareth” by Pope Benedict XVI.
Thanks, Marc. I’ve actually read the Pope’s book a couple times already. He actually frowns upon the historical-critical scholarship which I’m interested in getting into since it de-Christologizes Jesus. I, of course, have no real interest in reading anything by John Dominic Crossan or Marcus Borg as I am familiar with their background and views. Of the quality, acclaimed material, though, I just don’t know where to start. Should I start with a large tome or a quaint introductory paperback?
 
I’ll second the vote for John Meier’s series. The books are challenging but well written and very heavy with references. You might also peruse the* Instruction on the Historical Truth of The Gospels *by the Pontifical Biblical Commission and Pope Paul VI. Also read the companion document by Joseph Fitzmyer - both available online. Reading the gospels as “history” is not a great idea.
 
My reading of Meier’s series was a wonderful way to come to a deeper understanding of the gospels. I remember how excited I was, for example, reading his study of the relationship of Jesus and John the Baptist. That would have been a great book all by itself.

By the way, Meier is no fan of the Jesus Seminar and is not attempting to demythologize the gospels.
 
The Historical Jesus is of course the same Jesus the Church proclaims.

So the Gospels, The Historical reliability of the Gospels, Dei Verbum,

Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI (he does not frown on the historical critical method per se…it has its place when used correctly…just like other tools…but he does of course point us to the fact that there are excesses etc and that any good use of it still has its limitations…)

The Mystery of Jesus Christ scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=564 (a good course on Jesus Christ)

The Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture for Mark

catholicscripturecommentary.com/volumes-and-authors
 
What are the best, most accessible academic books on the Historical Jesus? (And to beat the conservatives at their own game I’ll go ahead and say “The Gospels.”)

Seriously, I’ve been browsing through bibliographies on the subject, but don’t know where to start. Should I dive right in with John Meier’s Marginal Jew? Should I start with N.T.Wright’s 700-page tomes? Or should I go with Bruce Chilton’s Rabbi Jesus, or the works of Geza Vermes?
I have found this bibliography resource extremely helpful.👍
If you click on the NT section there is a section dedicated to the historical Jesus scholarship. The website is a treasure find IMO. Subject matter in nicely categorized.👍
moses.creighton.edu/harmless/bibliographies_for_theology/Index.htm
 
What are the best, most accessible academic books on the Historical Jesus? (And to beat the conservatives at their own game I’ll go ahead and say “The Gospels.”)

Seriously, I’ve been browsing through bibliographies on the subject, but don’t know where to start. Should I dive right in with John Meier’s Marginal Jew? Should I start with N.T.Wright’s 700-page tomes? Or should I go with Bruce Chilton’s Rabbi Jesus, or the works of Geza Vermes?
here is a partial list from the website i gave you in the previous post. These are some I started with.
  1. THE SEARCH FOR THE HISTORICAL JESUS: Recent Studies
John P. Meier, A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus, Anchor Yale Bible Reference Library (New Haven: Yale University Press / New York: Doubleday, 1991-2009) 4 volumes to date, hardcover, $42 per volume. This is the most thorough and well-balanced study of historical Jesus in decades. It is an extraordinary achievement—and massive (volume 2 alone is nearly 1000 pages). Meier writes with great clarity, and relegates technical issues to the (very lengthy) endnotes. Basically for more advanced students. At least one more volume is forthcoming.
Code:
    *

      Vol. 1: The Roots of the Problem and the Person (1991)
    *

      Vol. 2: Mentor, Message, Miracles (1994).
    *

      Vol. 3: Companions and Competitors (2001).
    *

      Vol. 4: Law and Love (2009).  NEW.  Forthcoming in April.
Luke Timothy Johnson, The Real Jesus: the Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus and the Truth of the Traditional Gospels (San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco, 1995) paperback, $14. Through the 1990s, the Jesus Seminar (John Dominic Crossan, Marcus Borg, & Burton Mack) made headlines in Time, Newsweek, and U.S. New & World Report with their extravagant claims about the historical Jesus. Johnson brilliantly demolishes their claims, and sets out an excellent mainstream response.

N.T. Wright, Jesus and the Victory of God, Vol. 2 of Christian Origins and the Question of God (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1997) paperback, $40. Like Johnson, Wright offers a shrewdly argued (and often humorous) challenge to the Jesus Seminar. But his deeper concern is to offer a plausible interpretation of Jesus which takes seriously his Galilean context and his character as a 1st-century Jew—in all its complexity and variegated textures. Wright understands Jesus as an eschatological prophet whose message and ministry offered a radical retelling of Israel’s story in light of the coming Kingdom. Wright does not share the fashionable skepticism about the accuracy of Gospel accounts. He has been labelled a “traditionalist”—but this is the freshest and most original traditionalism to appear in many a year, and traditionalists, I would guess, will find this portrait deeply offensive. Wright has taken this massive 700-page study and pared it down to a much simpler form, pruned of footnotes and scholarly asides: The Challenge of Jesus: Rediscovering Who Jesus Was and Is (Downers’ Grove, IL: Intervarsity Press, 1999) hardcover, $15.

Marcus J. Borg & N.T. Wright, The Meaning of Jesus: Two Visions (Harper SanFrancisco, 1999) paperback, $16. Marcus Borg, like John Dominic Crossan, is one of the leaders of the Jesus Seminar and, while he claims to be a Christian, his Jesus is far removed from the Jesus of the mainline Christian churches. This book brilliantly illustrates the clash of interpretation between the (extremist) views of the Jesus Seminar and mainstream scholarship. Borg and Wright, while at opposite sides of the debate, are good friends and co-wrote this book, alternating chapters, with each putting forward his view on teaching of Jesus, on the death of Jesus, on the resurrection, etc. It is well written and accessible to beginning students—so much so that I have used it as a textbook for classes on the historical Jesus

N.T. Wright, The Resurrection of the Son of God, Vol. 3 of Christian Origins and the Question of God (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2003) paperback, $40. Another 700±page tome from Wright. This award-winning book, as the title indicates, focuses not on the pre-Easter Jesus (and thus not the “historical Jesus”), but on the post-Easter Risen Lord. Given the huge mass of recent literature on the “historical Jesus,” this in-depth study of the Gospels’ resurrection narratives is refreshing.
 
Hi, before I splurged on any of N.T. Wright’s books, I found his personal webpage full of essays particularly helpful. Here one can find essays dealing with some of Wright’s strengths in dealing with such topics as the Resurrection. These essays lay the fundamentals for the issues he deals with in his books.
ntwrightpage.com/

Look under the essays on Jesus Christ.

I have never read Meier’s work though I was tempted to start. Somebody mentioned Luke Timothy Johnson but I think even he, as a Catholic, frowns upon the historical method used by Meier, I seem to recall, in his book on The Real Jesus. Luke Timothy Johnson’s work I think is aimed squarely at the Jesus Seminar and debunking it.

I actually purchased the Wright vs. Borg book and am reading the chapters that appeal to me.

I also read E.P. Sanders’ The Historical Figure of Jesus sometime ago, picking it up on the basis that Catholics like Paul Johnson and also John Meier, and Christian scholar Jaroslav Pelikan, gave it good reviews. I cannot remember, however, whether Sanders deals with Jesus’ miracles. But I recall it being good. I am tempted to start looking for Meier again though now that some have mentioned him, and despite Luke Johnson’s tepidness towards the historical method therein used.

Just my (name removed by moderator)ut. 🙂
 
I’d recommend the magisterial Marginal Jew series by John Meier, now in four volumes with one more expected. Really fine scholarship, clearly written. Meier is a Catholic priest who is on the faculty at Notre Dame, by the way. Try vol. 1, then see if you’re prepared to make the further commitment to the rest of the series.
I couldn’t agree with you more, Alan. They are indeed fine scholarship, as well as authentically theological in their scriptural support.
 
I’ve read the L.T. Johnson book in question. It starts by demolishing the Jesus Seminar (seriously, the first chapter is so much fun to read I’d probably recommend the book for it alone), but it goes on to stake out a position on what we can know about Jesus historically with which I’m not really comfortable. It’s too close to dismissing historical inquiry entirely; L.T.J. doesn’t think we can know much about the historical Jesus. I like N.T. Wright and company better, the “conservative” face of the third quest for the historical Jesus, who think we can glean some serious history from the gospels.

I like N.T. Wright, and I’m betting he’s more accessible than Meier is.
 
I’m more of the opinion that the Jesus story was invented by the Romans and is wholly fictional,
but if you want a good historical view of Jesus then check out Bart Ehrman.

bartedeehrman.com/
 
Transformer, I will agree that Meier is not terribly accessible for the person not versed in the study of scripture, and in Judaism in particular. I also do not agree 100% with Meier.🙂 However, I think he has made so far an important contribution to historical study. Nevertheless, I have read some critique of his work and not all of his reasoning is without internal contradiction.

In general, I do like Luke Timothy Johnson, although I also do not believe that Jesus is “unknowable” historically. However, like LTJ, I have no patience with The Jesus Seminar people. I find them rather unscholarly, for all they claim to be scholarly. 😛 🙂
 
What are the best, most accessible academic books on the Historical Jesus? (And to beat the conservatives at their own game I’ll go ahead and say “The Gospels.”)

Seriously, I’ve been browsing through bibliographies on the subject, but don’t know where to start. Should I dive right in with John Meier’s Marginal Jew? Should I start with N.T.Wright’s 700-page tomes? Or should I go with Bruce Chilton’s Rabbi Jesus, or the works of Geza Vermes?
Phil Vaz has some cool audio files for free on his website if you havent already accessed it regarding historical Jesus stuff.👍

bringyou.to/apologetics/audio.htm#HistoricalJesus
 
It is kind of funny though that when our mainstream media do reviews of recent books on Jesus, the focus can fall on such “experts” as the director of the Hollywood Film “Basic Instinct” and his recent book on Jesus, accompanied by high-praise of Ehrman and Crossan. I think these latter two know how to market themselves. This review from the magazine The New Yorker on recent Jesus books seems to follow a similar script (I think even the “Jesus dynasty” is analyzed :ouch:)

The article by Adam Gopnik on “Searching for Jesus in the Gospels” starts off:

When we meet Jesus of Nazareth at the beginning of the Gospel of Mark, almost surely the oldest of the four, he’s a full-grown man. He comes down from Galilee, meets John, an ascetic desert hermit who lives on locusts and wild honey, and is baptized by him in the River Jordan. If one thing seems nearly certain to the people who read and study the Gospels for a living, it’s that this really happened: John the Baptizer—as some like to call him, to give a better sense of the original Greek’s flat-footed active form—baptized Jesus. They believe it because it seems so unlikely, so at odds with the idea that Jesus always played the star in his own show: why would anyone have said it if it weren’t true? This curious criterion governs historical criticism of Gospel texts: the more improbable or “difficult” an episode or remark is, the likelier it is to be a true record, on the assumption that you would edit out all the weird stuff if you could, and keep it in only because the tradition is so strong that it can’t plausibly be excluded. If Jesus says something nice, then someone is probably saying it for him; if he says something nasty, then probably he really did.

So then, the scholars argue, the author of Mark, whoever he was—the familiar disciples’ names conventionally attached to each Gospel come later—added the famous statement of divine favor, descending directly from the heavens as they opened. But what does the voice say? In Mark, the voice says, “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased,” seeming to inform a Jesus who doesn’t yet know that this is so. But some early versions of Luke have the voice quoting Psalm 2: “You are my Son; today I have begotten you.” Only in Matthew does it announce Jesus’ divinity to the world as though it were an ancient, fixed agreement, not a new act. In Mark, for that matter, the two miraculous engines that push the story forward at the start and pull it toward Heaven at the end—the Virgin Birth and the Resurrection—make no appearance at all. The story begins with Jesus’ adult baptism, with no hint of a special circumstance at his birth, and there is actually some grumbling by Jesus about his family (“Only in his home town, among his relatives and in his own house, is a prophet without honor,” he complains); it ends with a cry of desolation as he is executed—and then an enigmatic and empty tomb. (It’s left to the Roman centurion to recognize him as the Son of God after he is dead, while the verses in Mark that show him risen were apparently added later.)

The intractable complexities of fact produce the inevitable ambiguities of faith. The more one knows, the less one knows.

Read more: newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2010/05/24/100524crat_atlarge_gopnik?currentPage=all#ixzz0q8chC0vJ

Well, at least if a Hollywood director is to be taken seriously on writing about Jesus, at least Gopnik could have reviewed Catholic historian’s Paul Johnson’s recent book on Jesus. But it seems the Crossans and Ehrmans now are the go-to guys on Jesus in much of the press, while people like LTJohnson, Father Meier, E.P. Sanders, and N.T. Wright are not so popular for some reason. Which is sad, because a Catholic like myself could enter a big bookstore some 10 years back and find standing there taking up a whole shelf, A.N. Wilson’s revisionist Jesus, as if he, no biblical scholar, were the go-to-guy on Jesus. Now, most buyers of books on Jesus in my local bookstore seem to be consuming Tom Harpur’s The Pagan Christ which denies the existence of Jesus as we know Him I believe. It seems the more insane the theory of Jesus argued for in a book, the greater its distribution and popularity among the general public.

😊
 
To know the historical Jesus, you have to know the Roman and Jewish history of the times.
Hagan does an excellent job of this in his two books “Year of the Passover” and “Fires of Rome.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top