Best way to Learn?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jared123
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jared123

Guest
Let me first start off by giving some background about myself and then I will go into my question. I converted to Catholicism 6 years ago from a Baptist background. I live in a strong Catholic diocese with many good orthodox priests and lay Catholics. Ever since I began to think about converting six years ago I have been on fire to learn as much as I can about the faith. I’m at the point now where I would like to take this to the next level and really begin to start studying the faith. However, like many Catholics I am married with one child and one on the way and am not in a position to enroll in a Catholic University and start taking classes. So how does a person learn as much as they can without the aid of university professors? I have heard of some very knowledegable Catholics who were self-taught. Has anyone on this site done this?
 
Jared! Welcome! And congratulations on your new baby! This forum, for one, is a great resource for at home study. There is a sticky at the top of the Apologetics forum that will lead you to a mutlitude of good online information. It’s a good place to start.

Another great resource is:

salvationhistory.com/

On this particular website you can “enroll” and take online courses for free! Very orthodox. Very Catholic. Very good. I would highly recommend buying the accompanying books, but if they are not affordable, that’s okay too. There’s a lot there.
I look forward to your enthusiasm and excitement for the Faith!
 
Jared! Welcome! And congratulations on your new baby! This forum, for one, is a great resource for at home study. There is a sticky at the top of the Apologetics forum that will lead you to a mutlitude of good online information. It’s a good place to start.

Another great resource is:

salvationhistory.com/

On this particular website you can “enroll” and take online courses for free! Very orthodox. Very Catholic. Very good. I would highly recommend buying the accompanying books, but if they are not affordable, that’s okay too. There’s a lot there.
I look forward to your enthusiasm and excitement for the Faith!
Wow! This looks awesome! I had never heard of this site before. Thanks for sharing! 😃
 
Thank You for the advice. I will check out the site and pay attention to how Orthodox it is. I am very a “Hardcore” Catholic as my wife puts it, 😃 and will only study information that is in line with the Magesterium of the Church.
 
I also like salvationhistory.com.
The one audio series that I like is Scott Hahn’s Our Fathers Plan. (real audio and (“ftp://217.160.246.215/pub/audionet/EWTN_programs/Scott_Hahn/Father’s_Plan/”) formats) It is a good bible overview, with all of the Catholic teachings explained as they come up through out the Bible. Also the lambs supper is great for understanding the liturgical aspect to the book of revelation.

Scott Hahn has many Bible studies of CD or tape. They were recorded at Steubenville. But unless you can find them at a library, they can be spendy.
We have a local Catholic bookstore that has a lending library, and it has the Gospel of Matthew and the Book of Revelation tapes. Very interesting learning on those tapes
.
 
As an RCIA catechist, and husband of a convert, I love hearing about people coming to the faith. Welcome! salvationhistory.com is really a great resource. One very convenient way to start learning is right on catholic.com. They have every episode of catholic answers available for free download. It is a great way to fill your head when you can’t be immersed in books or classes. It really helps get me through my workday at the office, too!

LT
 
I have listend to many tapes and read many books but I am looking more along the lines what a Seminarian would study or a Master level Theology student would study. Almost like a curriculum to follow. Then I could go out and possible purchase the books and study at my own pace. any thoughts on this?
 
I think that there is an online Masters level Theology program offered from one of the Catholic Universities. You might want to contact you Archdiocese office and they might help you find the resources you need.
I couldn’t find it on our Archdiocese website, but it might be University of Dallas, somehow that sounds familar,(it has been several years since I heard about it) I know on of my friends in church got her masters, I’ll ask her next time I see her if this is how she did it.
 
Yes, I know that Steubenville offers online courses, but you have to complete 6 hours on campus. Plus tutition is like 700 dollars an hour. I can’t afford this. I am looking for a curriculum from a good othodox University, or Seminary that will give book sources that are used. I also would be interested in what a person should study first. Example would be, Church Histroy, Philosophy, Morals Ethics, Sacraments etc.
 
Yes, I know that Steubenville offers online courses, but you have to complete 6 hours on campus. Plus tutition is like 700 dollars an hour. I can’t afford this. I am looking for a curriculum from a good othodox University, or Seminary that will give book sources that are used. I also would be interested in what a person should study first. Example would be, Church Histroy, Philosophy, Morals Ethics, Sacraments etc.
Hey Jared,

Not to beat a dead horse, but you really can’t get more orthodox (small ‘O’) than the Franciscan University of Steubenville. And if graduate level course work and information is what you are after, again, I’d highly recommend anything by Scott Hahn. Most of his published books are for public consumption, but much of his recorded stuff is available online and very dense.

As for where to begin, get your hands on a set of Jergens’ Early Church Fathers. You will get a good foundation in historcial Christianity and touch on all the other subjects as well. Fr. Pacwa, of EWTN, is also an impressively learned man from whom you could learn a lot. Check out the EWTN library.

Oh, and learn Hebrew and Greek, too. . .😃
 
I am very familiar with Steubenville, my wife graduated from there with a degree in Theology and my father inlaw teaches Philosophy there. Another interesting fact is that Scott Hahn lives right across the street from my inlaws, my wife babysit his children when she was going to school.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top