Beth Moore

  • Thread starter Thread starter Catholic_Heart
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catholic_Heart

Guest
Sorry…I know this topic has been done before, but I have forgotten what the general consensis was re. Beth Moore Bible Studies.

As most of you know, my family all attend an Evengelical Christian church…When I was there yesterday, with my husband (after attending Mass, of course), I noticed that there were sign up sheets for three or four Beth Moore Bible Studies for Women. I did participate in one about three years ago, and remeber it to be Ok. I’m not a big fan of courses done primarliy by video…


**What do you guys think of Beth Moore? Are her courses too “un Catholic” for a Catholic to get much out of? **

I do sometimes find myself frustrated when I am involved in activities at this church (except for the music…I love it, and take part in the large Christmas and Easter productions done by the choir)…While most people there are not exactly anti-Catholic, theological issues to drive me nuts sometimes…But…I go and carry my obviously Catholic Study Bible…Wear my beautiful medals, and do not take communion (which they offer on a weekly basis). I often make the sign of the cross, as a matter of faith and witness.

Back to the subject…What are the points of a Beth Moore Study that Catholics should be aware of? I do not intend to be in a study, but was wondering about their content in re. my own fatih.

Thanks.
 
I’m not personally aquainted with Ms. Moore or her studies, but here’s the thread I think you were refering to:

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=2065&highlight=beth+moore

Going over the replies, I saw a lot of people who were familiar with the studies. It seemed the consensus was that, while Ms. Moore’s Bible studies were helpful to many and had some good qualities, there was a lot of criticism toward the fact that the studies were not very deep, theologically, her personal presentation style relied too much on theatrics and emotionalism, and there were some Protestant teaching elememts (once saved, always saved, etc) directly opposed to Catholic teaching.

If you are looking for a good woman’s Catholic Bible teacher, get some tapes available from Kimberly Hahn at www.saintjoe.com, or go to Emmaus Road Publishing where they have a lot of great Bible studies for women, found at emmausroad.org. My wife dearly loves Kimberly’s talks, and she has succesfully used the Emmaus Road studies in the woman’s Bible study groups she has led.

For more resources, please visit my web-page below.
 
I actually went to a Beth Moore conference, I group of my protestant friends were going and invited me. They gushed bout how wonderful she was ect. I actually went more to spend a weekend with old friends because I already realized the theology would not line up with Catholic teaching. I personally got very little out of it. It’s a very “feel good” type conference. Lots of contemporary Christian music. Emotionalism, alter call. My friends loved it, they were actually moved to tears - I guess I’m used to a more “Catholic” spirtuality like adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, now that can move me to tears.

My best friend has done her studies. From how she speaks of them they are very “feel good” in nature. Making women feel good about themselves. That kind of emotionalism is actually a turn off for me. I’d rather have solid teaching. And I believe she is of the “Once saved, always saved.” variety. Kimberly Hahn would be a much better choice.
 
**Thanks to you who have replied to my query. You have pretty much confirmed what I already thought. My schedule makes it fairly hard for me to commit to a Bible Study, but I really miss being part of one. Maybe I will be able to find a good one at my parish, or a neighboring one. **

The women of my family’s church are very enthused about Beth Moore, but I wasn’t thrilled with the one I did attend three summers ago. Oh yes…There was at least one other Catholic woman there…I saw her Catholic Study Bible.

Thanks, again.
 
A few personal experiences and opinions:
  1. I love Beth Moore–and she’s the genuine article.
    2 I would NOT recommend you do her studies, at least in an interfaith group–or even in a Catholic group, given the poor state of catechesis among Catholics–and get good support from a solid faithful-to-the-magisterium priest if you do one on your own. But her books of poetry are beautiful.
  2. God used her to convert me to the Catholic faith!
  3. She’s a great Bible study teacher and has the gift of apostolic preaching, like Billy Graham–like Father Corapi–in my opinion.
  4. Beth is very ecumenical and generous–to her, we’re all sisters in Christ. However, unfortunately there are evangelical Christians who are extremely anti-Catholic, and don’t even consider us to be Christians–they think we’re an unChristian cult like JWs or Mormons, or worse.
God actually used Beth Moore in my journey to the Catholic faith–I did her Believing God Bible study and her Beloved Disciple. I have such mixed feelings–I’m a big “fan”, because I’m a convert in large part due to Beth (although I’m sure she’d be surprised!). After becoming Catholic, I tried attending the Baptist women’s group I had previously attended and doing another study, but the anti-Catholicism just got to me–it was the little comments here and there–I was too new in my faith (it wasn’t directed at me–no one knew yet–but it was just there). I wouldn’t recommend doing an interfaith study in an evangelical church for that reason. Beth Moore herself, however, is wonderful. Within the limitations of her theology (i.e, Catholics are welcomed as one of many denominations, lol!), she is beautifully ecumenical–a loving, Christ-centered, open-hearted Texas woman. Christ saved her from a life of despair due to sexual abuse by a relative in her childhood, which she won’t discuss in detail. Her manner was off-putting to me at first, but her obvious complete conversion and devotion to Christ are sincere. I love her, and she is “very close to the Kingdom.” Her Beloved Disciple study introduced me to the concept of the “wedding feast of the Lamb”–something that led right into Scott Hahn’s theology. Not having grown up Catholic, this was eye-opening to me. My whole conversion was a “road to Emmaus” experience–thought I was the first one to ever make that connection! It really was all over when Beth talked about picturing yourself at the foot of the Cross with His blood pouring on you…something foreign to my mainline Presbyterian/Lutheran upbringing (we didn’t talk much about the “Blood of the Lamb”). The Eucharist really is a work of grace–it’s so right there–I don’t see how evangelicals don’t see it. I don’t see how I never saw it before. A mystery.

Anyway–didn’t mean to ramble. I did get confused by my sojourn with evangelical Christianity because of the once-saved/always-saved doctrine. To this day I still struggle with scrupulosity regarding mortal sin because of confusion over this. The idea that God will never let us out of His loving care…this is absolutely true. However, if you go to such a Bible study, the temptation is almost overpowering to accept this theology, and you’ll end up being tempted to leave the Eucharist in a moment of weakness–I’ve been tempted, and God gave me a powerful love for and faith in the Eucharist–because He knew I’d be needing it.

So…I love Beth…God used her to save me…but I’m not sure about doing her studies. But she has been a blessing for many people…much as Billy Graham has been. There’s really nothing wrong with her studies, within those limitations. I found them awesome. Dangerous for us now, though. Just my 2 cents’ worth.

Let’s pray for her conversion!!!:bounce:
 
One thing about doing a Beth Moore study, is you will learn the locations of every book in the Bible! She has alot of references to make her point. I took several studies at a time when I needed to get out and I could not find a Catholic Bibly Study, and theirs even offered Child care. I am so grateful to have found a great group in our local Parish!
 
Wanted to quick mention that somewhere on these boards there was once a list of all the great Catholic Bible studies now available–wish I remembered where! But I have some of them and am looking forward to getting into at least one sometime soon! There’s a new one by Women of Grace–Johnette Benkovich of EWTN’s Abundant Life. Also, many good ones are published by Emmaus Road–the “Come and See” series, and some for women, I believe, by Stacy Mitch; others by Tim Gray–go to their website and check it out–I think it’s emmausroad.org. Also, Scott Hahn’s salvationhistory.com has great online studies–one on the Mass that uses his Lamb’s Supper book. There are current studies for individuals and parishes that can be found via catholicexchange.com. So–lots of great studies out there. For me, it really all comes down to the Eucharist. Just today, I was looking at one of the short evangelical Protestant Bible studies I had through the First Place weight loss group (with CD bible verses)–even that, good as it was, referenced the contrast between Old Testament–how God’s Presence was in the Temple in Habakkuk (like this was no longer true), but today, citing a reference in 1 Corinthians, I think it was, now that we’re in Christ, we are God’s Temple. Typical Protestant theology. It’s got to be either/or–they haven’t been given the light yet to see that it can be both/and.

For me, I need to stick with Catholic Bible studies, because I’ve been through a lot of assaults on my faith, and my faith is still new. Plus, what I learned in RCIA was not always accurate, so I need to sort out a lot of Protestant theology from my upbringing–and some of it that I hear during Sunday homilies–it gets confusing. So I can’t afford confusion in Bible studies. Possibly those better formed and strong in their Catholic faith can handle it better, but I think it’s really a bad idea–just my advisory warning.

God bless!
 
I don’t know–I was a little troubled the other night feeling I might have discourged someone who might have found comfort and faith through Beth’s testimony. The Holy Spirit is doing such an incredible work these days in the Church bringing Christians in to the Catholic Faith from our separated churches…I learned to love Jesus there and caught the fire of the Holy Spirit there…my own hang ups may not be those of others’. Just today in August’s Magnificat (pp 28-29) I was reading an entry by St. Aphonsus Liguori about the necessity of prayer for salvation, and how God promises the graces necessary for salvation to us if we just ask for them…he binds himself to us by His promises! This was so exciting–I hadn’t thought of this before–how loving and tender of Him to do this! I believe St. Augustine was cited there also. This was so incredibly comforting to me–Bible verses were cited. (1 Tim 2:4; Jer. 29:12; Jn 15:7) We must ask in prayer for this, of course–but it is so similar to what is being said in Baptist Bible studies. I really believe their assurance of salvation, and their misunderstanding of our “earning out way to Heaven” is mostly over this…we both are really just trying to say the same thing–that God wills the salvation of all of us–he’s paid the price–we only have to ask in prayer. And he’s promised to give it to us! In all the discussions about how we can lose our salvation through mortal sin, I had allowed myself to get really hung up on the justice of God at the expense of his very great mercy. I sure hope I’m not straying into heresy here, but I think I’m seeing this correctly.

I don’t pray or read the Bible very much at all…just talk about it. That doesn’t cut it…So now…this was a great examination of conscience at 2:30 am–best time of day for me. Hope I didn’t discourage anyone. Study Beth, with a grain of salt (after all, Mitch Pacwa recommends reading Protestant theologians like William Barclay, and even the Reformers, to get insight into what went wrong during the Reformation and why Protestants feel the way they do about us)…Beth Moore also has an excellent study about breaking strongholds of evil that bind us, and praying with using scripture. But mostly–use Catholic Bible studies that cross reference the Catechism of the Catholic Church. God bless, and I hope everyone was spared damage from Hurricane Katrina.
In His Eucharistic Love,:love: :bowdown: ❤️
Donna
 
I am living in Germany w/ my husband who is in the Air Force. Because of this I am limited to the base for Catholic ministries because I don’t speak German.

But the sad thing is that they don’t really offer anything for adults on base, just the CDC for the kids.

So for my own benefit I attend a protestant bible study and try give my catholic (name removed by moderator)ut when I can.

It’s not always an easy thing to do.

Right now we are doing a Beth Moore study called “Believing God”.

I am pretty put off by it because last week in the video she referanced a bible verse that most of us catholics should be very familiar w/- ya know “you are peter and on this rock I will build my church etc”. She gave a VERY VERY differant interp to that verse and completly changed the meaning of ‘what you bind/loose on earth will be bound/loosed in heaven’. I was upset about that.

I am not sure if I will continue the study.

Honestly I attend more for fellowship than anything else. It really breaks my heart that there isn’t an active ministry for catholic adults over here. Because I’m overseas I can’t even join things like ‘legion of mary’… very sad. :console:
 
Beth Moore enterprises is one of the biggest money-making machines out there. She churns out tapes, books, and dvd’s by the score.Take a look on Amazon and you’ll be amazed. There’s no way one person could turn out so much stuff-she must have a large staff of ghost-writers. Her agenda is not the Lord’s-its purely profit, I’m convinced. She’s a pretty fair (name removed by moderator)irational speaker, but certainly not a true minister of the word.
 
I prayed on it and made a decision to stop attending this particular study. I feel similiar to you… she just seems a little too good to be true. :ehh:

I will keep praying for a more active Catholic ministry on base too.
 
I am living in Germany w/ my husband who is in the Air Force. Because of this I am limited to the base for Catholic ministries because I don’t speak German.

But the sad thing is that they don’t really offer anything for adults on base, just the CDC for the kids.

So for my own benefit I attend a protestant bible study and try give my catholic (name removed by moderator)ut when I can.

It’s not always an easy thing to do.

Right now we are doing a Beth Moore study called “Believing God”.

I am pretty put off by it because last week in the video she referanced a bible verse that most of us catholics should be very familiar w/- ya know “you are peter and on this rock I will build my church etc”. She gave a VERY VERY differant interp to that verse and completly changed the meaning of ‘what you bind/loose on earth will be bound/loosed in heaven’. I was upset about that.

I am not sure if I will continue the study.

Honestly I attend more for fellowship than anything else. It really breaks my heart that there isn’t an active ministry for catholic adults over here. Because I’m overseas I can’t even join things like ‘legion of mary’… very sad. :console:
I will pray for you. I am a former Army wife. It is hard being in a foreign country, but God is much bigger than we are. Maybe try reading Brother Lawrence, Practice the Presence of God. Or anything by St. Francis of Assissi, A Day in your Presence is good. Amazon online will have them. Read scriptures, pray, read the church fathers, read, and go to Mass. God has given himself to you take advantage of all God has given. Sometimes we are few, but there will be another time. :signofcross:
 
Having been a cradle Catholic who left and went to an evangelical church for 30 years, and am now back in the Catholic church I feel there is way too much criticism and judgment going on here.

A lot of the criticism I am hearing is that others attending the Bible Study were criticizing them or making them feel awkward. That is NOT Beth Moore’s fault. Also when people say something is “non-denominational” that is their judgement. How to define that varies and it is each of our responsibilities to see just what that means and to decide if we can handle it or not.

Theologically the issues I see are “once saved always saved”, “solo scriptura”, and a few others. If you were sitting through a study and heard that being taught, and didn’t believe it - then don’t. Why throw the whole baby out with the bath water? Beth Moore is NOT in this for the money - that is someone’s very personal, un-proven and very mean thing to say. Just as bad as someone saying “catholics are not christians”. How dare you?

Her studies have brought me closer to the Bible and Jesus which has helped to lead me BACK to the Catholic church. Please, as always, when making your own judgements do your homework, look at the studies, compare it to Catholic Cathechism and make your own choice about pursuing one of her studies.
 
Sorry…I know this topic has been done before, but I have forgotten what the general consensis was re. Beth Moore Bible Studies.

As most of you know, my family all attend an Evengelical Christian church…When I was there yesterday, with my husband (after attending Mass, of course), I noticed that there were sign up sheets for three or four Beth Moore Bible Studies for Women. I did participate in one about three years ago, and remeber it to be Ok. I’m not a big fan of courses done primarliy by video…


**What do you guys think of Beth Moore? Are her courses too “un Catholic” for a Catholic to get much out of? **

I do sometimes find myself frustrated when I am involved in activities at this church (except for the music…I love it, and take part in the large Christmas and Easter productions done by the choir)…While most people there are not exactly anti-Catholic, theological issues to drive me nuts sometimes…But…I go and carry my obviously Catholic Study Bible…Wear my beautiful medals, and do not take communion (which they offer on a weekly basis). I often make the sign of the cross, as a matter of faith and witness.

Back to the subject…What are the points of a Beth Moore Study that Catholics should be aware of? I do not intend to be in a study, but was wondering about their content in re. my own fatih.

Thanks.
ARE YOU THERE FOR THEOLOGY OR THEATRICS??? And yes, I am shouting at you. That is the lamest excuse there ever was for attending this denomination. If your heart was really Catholic you would be at Mass receiving the Body and Blood of Jesus in the Eucharist. Join an amateur theater group if theater is what you like but don’t substitute theatrics for theology. If you do you will lose in the end.
 
I recently done my MBA and now days I want to do some online Microsoft certifications and I Found this online notes is a best helping source to get online accurate information which is more helpful for my preparation.
 
ARE YOU THERE FOR THEOLOGY OR THEATRICS??? And yes, I am shouting at you. That is the lamest excuse there ever was for attending this denomination. If your heart was really Catholic you would be at Mass receiving the Body and Blood of Jesus in the Eucharist. Join an amateur theater group if theater is what you like but don’t substitute theatrics for theology. If you do you will lose in the end.
Wow. Be a little judgmental? There is nothing in her post that says she’s substituting theatrics for theology. She joins in praising God with them in music. Nothing un-catholic about that!

She’s there because she is going to Church with her husband. She said she goes to Mass first (did you miss that, or ignore it in your rush to condemn?) She’s being a witness.

The sad truth is that most of our parishes do not offer the kinds of activities that build community and develop the faith of our parishoners. If we did, we’d probably have more people “visiting” and learning the True Faith, and fewer being enticed away. But that means we laypeople need to put in the time to make it happen - and most parishes have trouble even getting enough teachers to cover the children’s classses.
 
Wow. Be a little judgmental? There is nothing in her post that says she’s substituting theatrics for theology. She joins in praising God with them in music. Nothing un-catholic about that!

She’s there because she is going to Church with her husband. She said she goes to Mass first (did you miss that, or ignore it in your rush to condemn?) She’s being a witness.

The sad truth is that most of our parishes do not offer the kinds of activities that build community and develop the faith of our parishoners. If we did, we’d probably have more people “visiting” and learning the True Faith, and fewer being enticed away. But that means we laypeople need to put in the time to make it happen - and most parishes have trouble even getting enough teachers to cover the children’s classses.
No I didn’t miss that she said that she went to Mass first. But I also noted that she said, “I do sometimes find myself frustrated when I am involved in activities at this church (except for the music…I love it, and take part in the large Christmas and Easter productions done by the choir)…”. Did you miss that or did you ignore it? There is a reason she’s frustrated that’s because the Holy Spirit is acting on her concsience and telling her to get out.

As for activities, is that why we go to Mass? Look, join an amateur theatrical group if you want to participate in theatrical productions. But this woman has an opportunity to witness her Catholic faith to her husband and attending a service, any service at his church is not doing that. It gives credibiilkity to the protestant lie that they are on a par with Catholicism and that is a flat out lie.
 
No I didn’t miss that she said that she went to Mass first. But I also noted that she said, “I do sometimes find myself frustrated when I am involved in activities at this church (except for the music…I love it, and take part in the large Christmas and Easter productions done by the choir)…”. Did you miss that or did you ignore it? There is a reason she’s frustrated that’s because the Holy Spirit is acting on her concsience and telling her to get out.
Or maybe it’s because she recognizes the ways that the Protestant worship service falls short, and is saddened that for beloved members of her family it is the best they know.
As for activities, is that why we go to Mass? Look, join an amateur theatrical group if you want to participate in theatrical productions. But this woman has an opportunity to witness her Catholic faith to her husband and attending a service, any service at his church is not doing that. It gives credibiilkity to the protestant lie that they are on a par with Catholicism and that is a flat out lie.
I’m really sorry that you think “joining and amateur theatrical group” could be a satisfactory substitute for participating in a beautiful, artistically accomplished act of worship.

Catholics are ENCOURAGED to participate in worship services with our separated brethren - with the caution that we must always recognize that the fulness of the liturgical celebration exists only in the Mass.
(copied from the Vatican website)
DIRECTORY FOR THE APPLICATION OF PRINCIPLES AND NORMS ON ECUMENISM
On March 25th, 1993, His Holiness Pope John Paul II approved this Directory, confirmed it by his authority and ordered that it be published. Anything to the contrary notwithstanding.
Vatican City
March 25th, 1993
a) Catholics should also give value to certain elements and goods, sources of spiritual life, which are found in other Churches and ecclesial Communities, and which belong to the one Church of Christ: Holy Scripture, the sacraments and other sacred actions, faith, hope, charity and other gifts of the Spirit.78 These goods have borne fruit for example in the mystical tradition of the Christian East and the spiritual treasures of the monastic life, in the worship and piety of Anglicans, in the evangelical prayer and the diverse forms of Protestant spirituality.
b) This appreciation should not remain merely theoretical; in suitable particular conditions, it should be completed by the practical knowledge of other traditions of spirituality. Therefore, sharing prayer and participating in some form of public worship or in devotional acts of other Christians can have a formative value when in accord with existing directives.
  1. In liturgical celebrations taking place in other Churches and ecclesial Communities, Catholics are encouraged to take part in the psalms, responses, hymns and common actions of the Church in which they are guests. If invited by their hosts, they may read a lesson or preach.
The Directory also goes on at some length about the implications of mixed marriage for ecumenical progress.
 
I like Beth Moore. I attended a study at a Methodist Church. It was about the Book of Esther. I really liked the study. The only theological clash I noticed was with the Assistant Pastor of the Methodist church who commented on Beth mentioning Satan. She said Methodists don’t believe in Satan.

Since then, I have have done several of her studies on my own. It helps me to gain a better understanding of what is in the Bible. I want to know the Bible thoroughly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top