Bible and Catechism in a Year: Reading Guide

  • Thread starter Thread starter Crumpy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Crumpy

Guest
Here’s a link to Marcus Grodi’s Coming Home Network site and his reading guide.

chnetwork.org/journals/readguide04.pdf

I’ve chosen to just read the Bible from cover to cover,except that I read Job right after Genesis.

The RSV-CE (Ignatius) 2nd Ed. is a very good reading Bible, and I like that it has very sparse footnotes (I don’t want to be too distracted with all that). God willing that I finish the reading in another month or so, THEN I’d like to start looking at some commentaries.

I’m reading and underlining in pencil, and noting verses in the blank pages in front and back of the Bible.

I’m making a point to read the verses, though I assure you I’m not memorizing much.
 
I have today completed the milestone of having finished my reading of the Old Testament. It took me about three months.

Now surely, it is just a read-through. I know I read verses that I don’t understand and I have to admit that I recall far less than I read.

But, it gives me a good feeling to read the OT fully. I really just did not have the full picture, by a long stretch.

I’m going to take a breather for a day or so, before I get into the New Testament.

My plan was to read the Bible, and then move on to studying a commentary or two, then go to the Catechism. I just have never covered all these bases before in my life, to read all these things that I profess to believe in.
 
How was your experience using the The RSV-CE 2nd Ed with this reading guide? I’m asking because this guide uses the chapter and verse numbering for the NAB which apparently differs in places from the RSV-CE 2nd Ed.

No problems with this combination? I ask because I may use it as well.
 
I asked a similar question in a different thread, and can now offer a similar answer to my own question here based on today’s readings.

The reading for Sirach chapter 24 stops at verse 31. Tomorrow picks up with chapter 25. My Bible and several others (including RSV CE online) have 34 verses in chapter 24. The NAB has only 31 verses apparently due to different internal divisions. So there will be some small problems with using the chart with the RSV.
 
I asked a similar question in a different thread, and can now offer a similar answer to my own question here based on today’s readings.

The reading for Sirach chapter 24 stops at verse 31. Tomorrow picks up with chapter 25. My Bible and several others (including RSV CE online) have 34 verses in chapter 24. The NAB has only 31 verses apparently due to different internal divisions. So there will be some small problems with using the chart with the RSV.
THANK YOU for taking time to come back and let me know - I will make adjustments when I get to Sirach. I found a difference in Psalms as well - they are identical through only Psalm 10, and then are numbered differently.

I expect to find problems when I actually do the readings for myself and will fix them as I go; I don’t know a better way to accomplish this, I guess. I wish Bible Gateway had NAB, or that I had a reading plan specifically for D-R, but I’ll have to do the best I can with the tools I have.
 
I bought a copy of the RSV-CE 2nd Ed (and I love it) and went ahead and searched for all the verse numbering differences and posted my results in this thread:

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?p=7274504#post7274504

This should clear the way for using the RSV-CE 2nd Ed with the Coming Home Network reading guide (which is good news for me since I bought 10 nice copies of the printed version).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top