Bible and Commentary

  • Thread starter Thread starter Augustine3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Augustine3

Guest
In the past I’ve been reading the American Bible, I really enjoy it because of the commentaries, parallels and maps. Are there any other Bible editions that is similar to it that you guys recommend?

God bless,
 
In the past I’ve been reading the American Bible, I really enjoy it because of the commentaries, parallels and maps. Are there any other Bible editions that is similar to it that you guys recommend?

God bless,
Protestant study Bibles are great for that sort of thing. Stop by a Christian bookstore and browse.
 
In the past I’ve been reading the American Bible, I really enjoy it because of the commentaries, parallels and maps. Are there any other Bible editions that is similar to it that you guys recommend?

God bless,
I have the DR bible with Haydock commentary and find it wonderful. You can also find this on the net. I might steer of a Protestant commentary.
 
Find a Bible that fits your needs.Because I teach , I use a number of Bibles- so I have varied translations formats , etc. You really do need to look at them and decide which bible has a translation that you like and feel comfortable with.Are there enough notes? Too many? Each Bible translation has it’s own format-play around them and see which one feeds your needs!
 
The ‘Ignatius Catholic Study Bible - New Testament’ is an excellent study edition of the New Testament with very good notes. It might be awhile before the Old Testament comes out, but the New Testament is worth the purchase! 👍
 
For one of the best counter-reformation period commentaries of the Gospels, Galations, and the Corinthian epistles, go with the Lapide commentary. More should be translated in the future. The Ignatius study Bible is a winner for the NT. When it comes to charts and maps, protestant Bibles are great, but don’t ever read them, unless you’re like me and have the protestant apologetics Bible to see what sort of arguments they are likely to use. St Thomas has some good commentaries, as does St. John Chrysostom.
 
If you can find it, the pre-Challoner edition of the DR also has some good notes.
 
No matter how many recommendations you still have you still have to be comfortable with the bible you picked. A bible that is not used is no help at al all.Physically look in them and handle them. Look at the notes, Are they clear to you? Some notes can be intimidatingly scholarly , using technical jargon. Are the maps precise easy to read. You may want a bible with a dictionary in it. Features in the Bible are just as important as the translation itself. Find one that fits your use of it.
 
No matter how many recommendations you still have you still have to be comfortable with the bible you picked. A bible that is not used is no help at al all.Physically look in them and handle them. Look at the notes, Are they clear to you? Some notes can be intimidatingly scholarly , using technical jargon. Are the maps precise easy to read. You may want a bible with a dictionary in it. Features in the Bible are just as important as the translation itself. Find one that fits your use of it.
I can’t agree more with this statement. I recently went thru this exercise with the NAB, DR and RSV-CE. I really find myself reading the RSV-CE much more than the others. It’s good to have multiple translations, as a previous poster stated, but you need to find the version you’ll read.

I ended up with a real nice leather-like covered RSV-CE Bible from Tan Books and the paperback Ignatius NT Study RSV Bible for commentary. At some point I’ll pick up the Navarre NT RSV Bible for additional commentary.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top