"Bible beleiving Church"

  • Thread starter Thread starter JED8643
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If churches that adopted the title “Bible believing” were truly “Bible believing” they’d be Catholic. 👍
 
DING! DING! DING! You’re the next contestant on the ‘Price is Right’!😃
That’s exactly right.
It implies there are non-‘Bible believing’ churches. I bought this in my fundamentalist days (like our banned friend). The problem was when I met people and pastors from those non-‘Bible believing’ churches, I found it to be a lie. Catholics are accused of this in particular. It reveals a great ignorance.
The thing is, most churches that call themselves a “Bible believing” church are not in fact truly Bible believing churches. What I mean is that they do not believe the entire Bible. They either reject entire books of the Bible (IE the Deuterocanonicals) or they reject verses in the Bible such as the ones on the following link:

scripturecatholic.com/my_top_ten.html
 
The thing is, most churches that call themselves a “Bible believing” church are not in fact truly Bible believing churches. What I mean is that they do not believe the entire Bible. They either reject entire books of the Bible (IE the Deuterocanonicals) or they reject verses in the Bible such as the ones on the following link:

scripturecatholic.com/my_top_ten.html
What is interesting is that He Who Has Since Been Banned somewhere on this thread (I won’t bother to quote it) said something to the effect that: when Catholics read the Bible, they become ex-Catholics. Funny, when this ex-Catholic read the Bible it brought me right back to the Catholic Church.
 
The thing is, most churches that call themselves a “Bible believing” church are not in fact truly Bible believing churches. What I mean is that they do not believe the entire Bible. They either reject entire books of the Bible (IE the Deuterocanonicals) or they reject verses in the Bible such as the ones on the following link:

scripturecatholic.com/my_top_ten.html
Ah, sweet irony.

Like, Sola Scriptura is not scriptural.

I love irony
 
The thing is, most churches that call themselves a “Bible believing” church are not in fact truly Bible believing churches. What I mean is that they do not believe the entire Bible. They either reject entire books of the Bible (IE the Deuterocanonicals) or they reject verses in the Bible such as the ones on the following link:

scripturecatholic.com/my_top_ten.html
That is an AWESOME link. I love it.
 
I’ve read it in it’s entirety many times, but never straight through, from front to back.
I’ve read it cover to cover, front to back and find it inspiring and facinating! I am reading it through again guided by the book Understanding The ScripturesA Complete Course on Bible Study by Scott Hahn. I highly reccomend it.
 
If it was written before the birth of Christianity, then how did the Catholic church write it?

I reject the authority of your religious organization because your religious organization rejects the authority of the word of God.
Pastor Jim, have you ever been to a Mass? The mas is divided into two major sections, the liturgy of The Word and the liturgy of the Eucharist. In the liturgy of The Word we focus on the word of God found in Scripture. Usually one reading from the OT, one from Acts or the Epistles and one from one of the four Gospels. Nearly the entire Bible is read at Mass on a three year cycle. To suggest that Catholics reject the authority of the word of God is ludicrous.
 
Pastor Jim, have you ever been to a Mass? The mas is divided into two major sections, the liturgy of The Word and the liturgy of the Eucharist. In the liturgy of The Word we focus on the word of God found in Scripture. Usually one reading from the OT, one from Acts or the Epistles and one from one of the four Gospels. Nearly the entire Bible is read at Mass on a three year cycle. To suggest that Catholics reject the authority of the word of God is ludicrous.
If you look at Pastor Jim’s profile, he has been banned. He will therefore be unable to answer any additional questions.

You are of course correct on the Church’s view of the authority of Scripture and how this is demonstrated within the Mass.
 
What is interesting is that He Who Has Since Been Banned somewhere on this thread (I won’t bother to quote it) said something to the effect that: when Catholics read the Bible, they become ex-Catholics. Funny, when this ex-Catholic read the Bible it brought me right back to the Catholic Church.
ditto for me too…i set out to prove to my wife that this"bible church" i was in was the true church,much to my humiliation i kept finding only the catholic church in both the OT and NT…
 
I think you post an interesting question because of my past experience in “Bible-believing” churches: they all taught contradictory things from the Bible, which led me to question the basis of what I believed as an evangelical Protestant – how could I know my interpretation of Scripture was correct when I saw many other fine Christians around me who interpreted Scripture differently? And why did God leave us in such confusion about what is the truth?
Those questions and the answers I found to them led me to the Catholic Church eleven years ago.

As for what Protestants would consider a “Bible-believing” church – in my experience it was generally understood a church that believed in the inspiration and inerrancy of Scripture (in contrast to many of the liberal mainline Protestant churches that deny that). Most of the Christians I knew and churches I belonged to would consider another church “Bible-believing” if it believed that about Scripture and the fundamental doctrines (the Trinity, etc.) of the faith, even if they didn’t fully agree with all their other doctrines.
 
What is interesting is that He Who Has Since Been Banned somewhere on this thread (I won’t bother to quote it) said something to the effect that: when Catholics read the Bible, they become ex-Catholics. Funny, when this ex-Catholic read the Bible it brought me right back to the Catholic Church.
Yep and when this former Protestant (Southern Baptist at one time and Pentecostal directly before crossing the Tiber) read parts of the Bible (I’ve never read the entire Bible) I also became Catholic. There were just some verses in the Bible that Protestants simply could not explain well enough for me. 👍
Ah, sweet irony.

Like, Sola Scriptura is not scriptural.

I love irony
LOL! Yep, Sola Scriptura is definitely not scriptural!
That is an AWESOME link. I love it.
I’m glad you enjoyed the link! 😃
 
I think you post an interesting question because of my past experience in “Bible-believing” churches: they all taught contradictory things from the Bible, which led me to question the basis of what I believed as an evangelical Protestant – how could I know my interpretation of Scripture was correct when I saw many other fine Christians around me who interpreted Scripture differently? And why did God leave us in such confusion about what is the truth?
Those questions and the answers I found to them led me to the Catholic Church eleven years ago.
One of the frustrating aspects of being a Baptist pastor for me was the constant questioning of “my position” on such-and-such Biblical issue. I actually over time grew to hate the question: “What’s your position on___________?”
Mainly what they were looking for was whether or not I would agree with them on ________, not whether or not it was truth.
Pulpit committees are dedicated to grilling prospective pastoral candidates with this question.
Sola Scriptura at its worst.
 
One of the frustrating aspects of being a Baptist pastor for me was the constant questioning of “my position” on such-and-such Biblical issue. I actually over time grew to hate the question: “What’s your position on___________?”
Mainly what they were looking for was whether or not I would agree with them on ________, not whether or not it was truth.
Pulpit committees are dedicated to grilling prospective pastoral candidates with this question.
Sola Scriptura at its worst.
Have you ever written to Marcus Grodi?Maybe you could appear on the “Journey Home” and tell your story… :confused:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top