Bible Choices

  • Thread starter Thread starter Niji
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Niji

Guest
I want to know are some bible versions better then others? and which version should i read? also will you get the wrong impression of gods teachings from certain translations?

I hear that KJV is the best translation but hard to understand for newbs, while the NIV is easier to understand but the translation in some parts isnt correct or its totally wrong in other areas.

I own several bibles because id like to read them all eventually and compare for myself but id like to know your guys opinions. I like my NIV though, easy for me to read and understand.

👍
 
Bible choice is largely personal preference.

Most bibles convey the meanings of the verses in the same way, in most cases. There are always some differences, but generally speaking the best thing is to have a bible that is clear and easy to read to you.

Personally, I own:

RSV-CE
GNB-CE
NIV

I like the RSV because it’s probably the best bible for serious study, or at least that I own. I like the GNB because it’s exrtremely easy reading and it’s what I use for daily reading. I like the NIV to keep tabs on the most popilar Protestant translation.

Largely, the three come to the same meaning on most verses.
 
If you like the language (thees and thous) of the KJV then I would suggest the Douay-Rheims version or the Revised Standard Version- Catholic Edition (RSV-CE). If you like the language used in the NIV (newer English) then I would choose the RSV-2CE (second Catholic Edition) or the New American Bible- Revised Edition (NABRE). All are Catholic Bibles approved by the Church. 👍
 
+Mother Angelica of worldwide EWTN fame loved and used the . . . **1966 Jerusalem Bible ** (a paraphrase not a word for word translation) . . . in her teaching . . . but frequently sounded serious warnings about the . . . loss of Sacred Truth (Holy Thoughts of God) . . . via the unholy use of . . . “inclusive language” . . . incorporated into ALL this Bible’s versions thereafter . . .

:bible1: The Holy Bible (Douay Rheims Version [Douai-Rheims], Revised by Bishop Richard Challoner) is a wonderful translation . . . it was first translated . . . word for word . . . from the Latin Vulgate, the Catholic Church’s Official Bible. Bishop Challoner’s edition phrases it to make it more reader-friendly. It was the only English Catholic Bible for over 300 years and has been greatly blessed of God as such. The original Latin translation is largely the result of the **Holy Spirit’s **inspiration and annointing of the labors of the blessed St. Jerome . . . and some of the manuscripts **St. Jerome **used are no longer in existence.

Pope Pius XII stated that the
Holy :bible1: Bible
Latin Vulgate Translation

was **
“free from any error whatsoever in matters of faith and morals.”**
With **St. Jerome **. . . **who as well as being a SAINT is a HOLY DOCTOR of the Catholic Church . . . and . . . ** the Vicar of Christ’s declaration of support . . . vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_30091943_divino-afflante-spiritu_en.html . . . you can’t go wrong with this Bible . . .

Below are comments from the **Eternal Word Television Network’s ** ewtn.com website . . . which also contain some examples of the Holy See’s gravely serious definitive and corrective point of view on some Biblical translations on the market today.

:bible1: Douai-Rheims [Douay-Rheims]. The original Catholic Bible in English, pre-dating the King James Version (1611). It was translated from the Latin Vulgate, the Church’s official Scripture text, by English Catholics in exile on the continent. The NT [New Testament] was completed and published in 1582 when the English College (the seminary for English Catholics) was located at Rheims. The Old Testament was published in 1610 when the College was located at Douai.​

I’ve read both Blessed Pope John Paul the Great and Pope Benedict XVI use the Revised Standard Version-Catholic Edition of Sacred :bible1: Scripture the **ORIGINAL ** as their favored modern English translation . . . please note that this is the ORIGINAL RSV-CE.

:bible1: Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition (RSV-CE).Considered the best combination of literal (formal equivalence translation) and literary by many orthodox Catholic scholars. Published today by Ignatius Press (Ignatius Bible) and Scepter Press …**​

The enemy of souls most unholy spirit has used the grave and disordered error of “inclusive language” (stripping God the Holy Spirit’s designated use of masculine and feminine words from text re God and mankind and neutering them) to make serious inroads in corrupting that which the **God the Holy Spirit **has entrusted to Christ’s Most Holy Apostolic Roman Catholic Church . . . when/if purchasing a Revised Standard Version-Catholic Edition be very careful not to request the NEW RSV-CE . . . which is being heavily promoted nowadays and contains real errors . . . the NAB version has a similar problem . . .

New Revised Standard Version - Catholic Edition (1989). An adaptation for Catholic use of the NRSV of the National Council of the Churches of Christ. Although used in the American edition of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, it was rejected for liturgical use by the Holy See owing to inclusive language … ******​

**NAB with Revised Psalms and Revised New Testament (1991) [also a paraphrase not a word for word translation]. It was **due to the use of vertical inclusive language **(re: God and Christ) and some uses of horizontal inclusive language (re: human beings), that the Holy See rejected this text as the basis of a revised Lectionary for the United States. This is the version of the NAB currently on sale in the United States. ******
​
. . . all for Jesus+
St. Jerome please pray for us+
thank You Lord for Thy Wonderful Holy Word+
​
 
I personally reject the KJV as being “the best” because in all honesty it was translated with a significant bent toward being beautiful over and above accuracy. It isn’t any more literal to the original languages than the NIV.

I also prefer to read a Bible that I can understand… And I prize more accurate, literal translations. I find that, for me, the RSV-2CE fits this bill fairly well for my purposes. And thankfully Ignatius is half-way through coming out with a great, orthodox study bible in this version (I have NT… just waiting on OT).

But I also agree that it’s good to read multiple translations, especially when you’re studying - since there’s something lost ANY TIME you translate from one language to another. There is no such thing as a perfect translation. And I’ve heard some of the other translations mentioned above (DR, Jerusalem Bible, etc.) praised. I might be wrong, but I think that the closest translation to what we use in mass is the NAB (double check me on this) so that might be another translation to consider.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top