S
sleeping_gecko
Guest
As a cradle Protestant, I know an infinite number of Protestant commentaries (varying radically) exists.
However, as a potential Catholic, I’m not aware of Catholic commentaries. Is there an authoritative Catholic commentary? I know that the Catechism is a great reference, but are there verse-by-verse commentaries from the Catholic point of view?
I’ve really enjoyed some of the Bible studies by Scott Hahn (I heard a series of his where he taught through the first 6 or so chapters of John, for example). Is there a similar resource out there, preferably in audio or book format, that covers the whole of Scripture?
If nothing else, it would be nice, when people say, “But the Catholics don’t care about the Bible!”, to be able to say, “Hey, check out this commentary!” or “What about this Bible study series?” A lot of people I talk to reject the whole “the Catholic Church WROTE the Bible, of course their biblical!” argument. Something about Constantine, RCC starting in 300, etc…
So, any recommendations?
However, as a potential Catholic, I’m not aware of Catholic commentaries. Is there an authoritative Catholic commentary? I know that the Catechism is a great reference, but are there verse-by-verse commentaries from the Catholic point of view?
I’ve really enjoyed some of the Bible studies by Scott Hahn (I heard a series of his where he taught through the first 6 or so chapters of John, for example). Is there a similar resource out there, preferably in audio or book format, that covers the whole of Scripture?
If nothing else, it would be nice, when people say, “But the Catholics don’t care about the Bible!”, to be able to say, “Hey, check out this commentary!” or “What about this Bible study series?” A lot of people I talk to reject the whole “the Catholic Church WROTE the Bible, of course their biblical!” argument. Something about Constantine, RCC starting in 300, etc…
So, any recommendations?