W
wwjd32
Guest
What’s a great bible? Also is there an exact translation bible?
Hi.What’s a great bible? Also is there an exact translation bible?
The New Revised Standard Version is a protestant Bible. There is a Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition which a lot of priests use for their studies. The King James Version First Edition that was published in the 1400’s was a Catholic version, then Martin Luther had the next editions remove the 7 historical books of Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Baruch, 1 & 2 Maccabees. The first English translation from the Latin Vulgate was the Douay Rheims Bible and is still popular today.If I understand correctly the only exact translation is the Bible that isn’t translated.
From what I hear NRSV (new revised standard version) is pretty good and the King James is most true to the original language (although whether or not the actual translation is accurate I dunno, but basically it reads more like what the original reads like).
That’s all I know.![]()
As far as “exact” translations I can only suggest that there are a couple of “literal translations” (Youngs and Greens), but even these don’t always agree.What’s a great bible? Also is there an exact translation bible?
The Revised Standard Version, 2nd Catholic Edition (RSV-2CE) is my favorite!What’s a great bible? Also is there an exact translation bible?
Ah, that’s what I meant. It came out wrong, clearly. Haha. Thanks for the correctionThe New Revised Standard Version is a protestant Bible. There is a Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition which a lot of priests use for their studies. The King James Version First Edition that was published in the 1400’s was a Catholic version, then Martin Luther had the next editions remove the 7 historical books of Tobit, Judith, Wisdom, Baruch, 1 & 2 Maccabees. The first English translation from the Latin Vulgate was the Douay Rheims Bible and is still popular today.
If you live in the USA, the bishops have approved the New American Bible to be used at Mass.
Thats ok nickybr, you are still new at this Catholic stuff. Congrats on your confirmation.Ah, that’s what I meant. It came out wrong, clearly. Haha. Thanks for the correction
This bible is actually based on the Revised Standard Version - 2nd Catholic Edition. I don’t believe there is a 2nd Catholic Edition of the New Revised Standard Version.The Ignatius Study Bible (new testament only for now) is cheap, but a good place to start. It is based on the New Revised Standard 2nd Catholic Edition.
please start with the stickies on this forum and bible study resources, also the CA homepage library, starting with the article on scripture translationsWhat’s a great bible? Also is there an exact translation bible?
I highly recommend the Douay-Rheims (Challoner) or the RSV-CE Ignatius BibleWhat’s a great bible? Also is there an exact translation bible?
As many people have noted in other threads, every translation is an interpretation–so there’s really no such thing as an “exact” translation. One of my professors once told me to “throw your English Bible in the trash!”–meaning learn the original languages and forget the translations. Probably the best piece of advice I ever received.What’s a great bible? Also is there an exact translation bible?
I agreeAs many people have noted in other threads, every translation is an interpretation–so there’s really no such thing as an “exact” translation. One of my professors once told me to “throw your English Bible in the trash!”–meaning learn the original languages and forget the translations. Probably the best piece of advice I ever received.
Of course this is not the case for everyone, but I think if most people devoted say, 50% of their time now spent on entertainment toward study, they could pick up these languages fairly easily. It’s all a matter of setting your priorities–at least that was my personal experience.I agree
But not having the time right now to take upt the study of biblical Greek and Hebrew…I am greatful for access to a good website where one can access the origicnal Greek and look up precise definitions. That is why I recommended “Studylight” in an earlier post.
Peace
James
I agree - Often times we will claim not to have time when in fact it’s a matter of allocation and prioratization.Of course this is not the case for everyone, but I think if most people devoted say, 50% of their time now spent on entertainment toward study, they could pick up these languages fairly easily. It’s all a matter of setting your priorities–at least that was my personal experience.
Quite right. The interlinear provides a resource for me that I would not otherwise have, but it is only one source. I get just as much or more from conversations here on CAF, where many viewpoints can be looked at and discussed.Interlinear Bibles and these types of reference tool are indeed helpful for people, but unfortunately many people stop at what they mistakenly think is an exact or literal meaning meaning provided by the interlinear without realizing what the possible range of meanings of a word could be, and how the translator has still chosen one specific word from a range of meanings.
Understood - no offense taken.That’s were good lexicons help (and there are plenty of very good on-line resources in this regard, for sure as you’ve pointed out). And I’m not saying that YOU are doing this–but I think interlinear Bibles sometimes only add to translation confusion.
Yes, I couldn’t agree more.The key in any of this is to seek Truth and to do so carefully.
Peace
James