Bible Quotes

• Thread starter Thread starter Lucija
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lucija

I am a devout catholic and prayer and reflection is part of my daily life . I have friends that are non Catholic but Christian and they can recite verses from the bible inside out . Myself on the other hand I can say that even though I remember some verses from the bible but I do not remember from which chapter or verse they came from . Sometimes I feel challenged by these people who could quote certain verses and know where they read it . Is it important for us to remember details as to where we read them ? I feel it is more important to remember the message that God is giving us from these verses . Please share with me your thoughts

I cannot spout Chapter and Verse from the bible. However when someone throws me the C&V I make sure they let me know what the words are. Often because I spend a great deal of time with the bible reading it to help me understand the message (As you say you feel is important.) I often can come back with a much more accurate recollection of all that was happening around that statement.

I am sure you have heard the comment “taken out of context” well that can often happen with C&V quoters. They give the words their own meaning rather than understanding the fullness of the story. C&V are great for simple little rememberances of God’s relationship with us John 3:16 (For God so loved the world…) but to just know that misses the depth of that message.

Jesus was not only given to die for our sins. He was also given to lead us to the Father. To introduce us to the Holy Spirit on an individual basis. To bring a living and real example of a way to God’s plan. To have human desires and wishes but still be able to choose to follow and accept God’s will. That is a part of the depth of the message in John 3:16 that can only be found in knowing the other verses around this one, knowing the book’s total story that it comes from and also knowing the relationship of this book to the many others divinely inspired to be part of our knowledge in the bible.

Know your faith with God. Use the bible to understand it and don’t get hung up on editorial notes and markings that come afterwards.

40.png
Lucija:
I am a devout catholic and prayer and reflection is part of my daily life . I have friends that are non Catholic but Christian and they can recite verses from the bible inside out . Myself on the other hand I can say that even though I remember some verses from the bible but I do not remember from which chapter or verse they came from . Sometimes I feel challenged by these people who could quote certain verses and know where they read it . Is it important for us to remember details as to where we read them ? I feel it is more important to remember the message that God is giving us from these verses . Please share with me your thoughts
Even the devil can quote Scripture!!

So don’t feel intimidated. The ability to recall scripture chapter and verse in an instant does NOT prove that one comprehends and understands what it means. Also Scripture must be read in context…that is one thing some Protestants do over and over…take one sentence and try to make it the ‘end all’ of the Gospel.

I generally keep a Bible (the Catholic variety) handy so I can look them up and read them before I respond…one with a commentary at the bottom helps also if you ever struggle trying to grasp the exact point of a particular verse. I have a D.R. with Haydock Commentary that has come in very handy.

SV

When I was in a Protestant Church there was a lot of emphasis put on memorization of Scripture. I actually think this is comendable as far as it goes, but I agree with those here who have said the most important thing is to understand the message of God and to be comfortable with the teachings of the Bible. If a person is doing both this and memorizing scripture then more power to them! However, our first responsibility should be to learn, not memorize.

Knowledge of Chapter and Verse can be very useful. There was a time when I didn’t know the C and V, but I still felt comfortable with scripture. That’s Okay as long as you are not discussing scripture with someone that seems to have a handle on the C and V references. The important thing is not to be intimidated by those who have the references on the tip of the tongue, and not to be intimidated by trying to learn C and V’s yourself. Believe me, you can learn many verse references if you want to.

The best way to do this is by learning how to answer questions posed to you by non-catholics that want a bible based response. Start becoming familiar with the biblical underpinnings of catholic teaching. It quickly becomes an interesting and beautiful learning process. You might consider buying a software bible program that enables you to search scripture quickly.

Try to prepare, in written form, your own answers to difficult questions with the C and V and the typed verses in your answers. This is very easy to do on a computer where you have a word processor and can cut and paste from a bible software program. It takes time, but consider the fact that scripture is God’s love letters to his adopted sons and daughters in Christ.

Just go for it, and in a short time you will love reading and studying the scriptures. Always rely on a good catholic commentary and the catholic catechism for reference. This is a great spiritual adventure.

One of my most useful books is Catholic Doctrines in Scripture by Gregory Oatis. I find it invaluable to find scripture to support the Catholic position on issues.

I also have a Strong’s Concordance which helps me find verses when I need them.

Practice, practice, practice.

The EWTN audio library has some awesome bible study series.

40.png
Charles:
When I was in a Protestant Church there was a lot of emphasis put on memorization of Scripture. I actually think this is comendable as far as it goes, but I agree with those here who have said the most important thing is to understand the message of God and to be comfortable with the teachings of the Bible. If a person is doing both this and memorizing scripture then more power to them! However, our first responsibility should be to learn, not memorize.
This is quite true. I’ve also learned from conversing with Protestants that particular emphasis is placed upon two principal areas:
  1. being saved/justified;
  2. anything that can be used to refute Catholic doctrine.
    If it falls outside those areas, many (NOT all) of those same Protestants and evangelicals will not know the Scripture.
For example, I can quote very few areas of the Bible, but I especially enjoy quoting John 6 to Protestants and evangelists. I’ve had people who can otherwise quote entire chapters word for word from the KJV suddenly look at me like I’ve just sprouted an eye in the middle of my forehead. “Nuh-uh! It does not say that!” :eek: I then show them the quote. “Well, it doesn’t mean what you say it means.” :mad:

Your mileage, as they say, may vary. 🙂

I think we should have no fear in telling someone “Interesting, I will look it up and get back to you.” Beyond that, I find that there are many ways to pose a convincing argument without exchanging quotes back and forth (primarily, asking questions).

For example, in the debate about Sola Scriptura, rather than send quotes back and forth, I might ask, “How do you think Jesus is accomplishing His promise of protecting His church from error…it cannot be by private interpretation because each denomination disagrees with the other?” You can accomplish your goal without the use of numerous Bible quotes. Still, learning the Bible is good and profitable…just don’t shy away from the discussion because of a less than complete knowlege of it.

…just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back