Bible should be translated as literally as possible

  • Thread starter Thread starter William2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The copyright laws force translators into awkward positions, I am sure (not being qualified for translation myself).
Translators, even incompetent ones, seemingly have a lot of control over the message which is supposed to be conveyed from one language to another, one culture to another, and one time period to another. I’m sure there were even several Hebrew versions of Genesis prior to 0 AD, if not still earlier versions of hieroglyphics and whatnot and most of them are probably unrecoverable. Archaeology and the other sciences have found some contradictions between what they have discovered and what Scripture “says” so now we have to choose which to believe.
 
Peter Kreeft thinks the Church should use the Authorized Version. The people I respect use the RSV, Authorized, and Douay-Rheims. I don’t know of any intelligent Catholic who actually reads something like the NAB.
Well I’m a fairly intelligent Catholic who reads the NAB. It’s the only catholic bible I have! I got it in 8th grade many years ago. It still works after all these years!

So now you know of one. 🙂
 
The people I respect use the RSV, Authorized, and Douay-Rheims. I don’t know of any intelligent Catholic who actually reads something like the NAB.
…In conclusion I will say that I distrust the scholarship of today’s academia. I don’t trust their geology, their sociology, their psychology, nor their pretended superior knowledge of ancient languages.
I’m not saying that the Douay-Reims is a terrible translation. I simply disagree with those who contend that it is the only translation Catholics should use or even the best translation. You are a bit more broad-minded: you favor the RSV and Authorized translations as well. However, you go on to indicate your lack of respect for anyone who would prefer another translation and go so far as to question the intelligence and withhold your respect from anyone who reads the NAB – the version most promoted by the USCCB and most often used in liturgical settings in Catholic settings in the U.S. I’m no fan of the NAB either, but your contempt doesn’t serve your cause well. You’ve basically called the entire group of American bishops and clergy unintelligent! C’mon now… If I had a vote (and I don’t), I’d tell the bishops to push the RSV, which is accurate, beautiful, and enjoys ecumenical support. Of course, they don’t enjoy a royalty stream from the RSV…
 
Amen to this. Does any one besides the self important pseudo intellectuals translating modern versions of the Scriptures really think they know more about Koine Greek and Biblical Hebrew than guys who spoke it fluently and had conversations and discussions with it such as St. Jerome and the Hebrew Scholars he talked with?

“Oh I get it they got it wrong and now we know from translation XIX or whatever this is what they meant.”

REALLY MAN! How arrogant and/or naive are you?

When I was in Baghdad, I had access to every intelligence report you could get your hands on, and on occasion I would be on a team designated to roll up HVI’s on TST missions. I come back and hear the so called experts on TV (not those actually in the military but reporters who claim to be ‘experts’) and they are so clueless as to be funny.
Sad part is, people listen to them and think they are informed. I see a definite parallel here. The only reason some of these guys take the most obscure renderings of scripture (typically ones shuffled aside not meant to be used but preserved because they were not used…) is to cast doubt on the understanding of the one true church, and to call into question its authority so either to try to implement some new heresy, or outright deny the Son of Man(a-theism or agnosticism).

And speaking of awkward, the NAB is dumbed down, supposedly for easier useage, but Id take the NASB over that thing any day of the week. That thing changes things it need not and then adds stuff that is overly descriptive where it shouldn’t be and its just horrible. It has no flow and is more clumsy than a newborn giraffe. How in the hell did that thing become the official translation of the Church in the US? Some one had an agenda, and it WAS NOT for the good of the Church.
I very much appreciated this post. It is not good for my spiritual life to argue, so I have abandoned the thread. But I wanted to say, thanks KShaft!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top