Bible Studies

• Thread starter Thread starter hk102003
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hk102003

Despite having been Catholic for nearly my whole life I feel that I have a lot to learn as far as the Bible goes. I would like to deepen my understanding of scripture. Anyone got any good Bible studies I can use? I have heard there are some online. 🙂

40.png
hk102003:
Despite having been Catholic for nearly my whole life I feel that I have a lot to learn as far as the Bible goes. I would like to deepen my understanding of scripture. Anyone got any good Bible studies I can use? I have heard there are some online. 🙂
You could get the Haydock Bible. It’s expensive. Look it up if you could get a cheap one.

Haydock Bible is Duoay-Rheims bible (English Bible translated from the Latin Vulgate not the Hebrew and Greek texts) with commentary from Fr Leo Haydock. Great study bible.

I heard that Ignatius (or was it TAN) is gonna release a study Bible with study from the mind of Dr Scott Hahn, Fr Mitch patcwa and some other. That one should be great!

Good for you.

Check out the Ignatius Bible Studies, purchase through Ignatius Press

or go to : www.catholicexchange.com

membership is free and the bible studies are great

to begin atleast

I just read something on here about NAB’s not being great…should I get something different??? I just bought it, and it has some study tools in it that might be helpful, but it sounds like maybe I should use something different.

Hmmm, I’ve heard (keep in mind I’m not sure) that it has some liberal-like ideas that might not reflect Catholic teaching the best. My suggestion is to go to a Catholic Bookstore and it’s very possible that you can find a Bible study book that you can read in-tandam with the NAB study edition. Maybe someone else can post the points of the NAB that aren’t recommended.

I do know that the translation is looser than RSV-CE or DR. But some people like translations that are easier to read. And I think the translation is better than GNB.

It may help to have a good commentary on the Bible. I like the New Jerome Biblical Commentary and The Inernational Bible Commentary.

Have fun…and always pray before studying.

God bless you

40.png
MIDGIE:
Have fun…and always pray before studying.

God bless you
Thanks for the suggestion 🙂 I think it’ll definately make me more open to understanding it! Thanks again!

This isn’t really a bible study but it offers some really good teachings. The Theology of the Body, by Pope John Paul II is really good, and is the church’s teaching on the meaning of our sexuality. You can read some articles about this at Christopher West’s website, he also has his talks online so you could even listen to the Theology of the Body online 😃

the website is

christopherwest.com

and if you want the articles click the articles button.

Thanks Tyler…I actually replied to a post you put up a little bit earlier about the Theology of the Body because I had questions about it…I think it’s somewhere at the bottom of the first page or the top of the second page of posts…I’d love to get to know more about it. It’s really interesting teachings 🙂

The Navarre Bible set is an excellent tool for study giving links with explanations from the Fathers, church docs and so on…bit expensive but you can get it volume by volume…

I have studied Genesis and John with Catholic Exchange and learnt alot. At present I am finishing the Beginners course at Salvation History and it is great. I can’t wait to start the Intermediate course.

For reference I use the NIV study bible (non Catholic), the navarre study bible and the Ignatius study bible which is put out in single volumes at the moment. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back