Bible Study Aides

  • Thread starter Thread starter dean24us
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dean24us

Guest
Hello! Late last year, I set a goal for myself to read the entire Bible cover-to-cover. I’ve been doing pretty good on reading a few chapters every night, and I generally have had no problems understanding it (if I run in to a part difficult to understand, I re-read it again until it makes sense). However, I’ve been having a very difficult time reading Isaiah, due to the heavy symbolism used throughout. Consequently, I’ve been “stuck” on Isaiah for over a month.

Does anybody know of a good (Catholic) resource for understanding the Bible? I’ve looked at the web site mentioned in a sticky on this forum (clerus.org/bibliaclerus/index_eng.html);😉 while it does have a bit of commentary on specific verses, it isn’t quite what I’m looking for. Ideally, it would be something that has one or more commentaries from respected authorities (e.g., early church fathers, biblical scholars, etc) on each chapter of Bible to help the reader understand the more difficult books/chapters of the Bible. I don’t mind if it is a web site, book, or something else – I’ll take help in any form I can get it! :o

Best wishes,
Dean
 
I am making a Study Bible right now and I am putting online the material as I go. Although I have not gotten to Isaiah yet, I do have some books of the Bible done. I provide footnotes from the Church Fathers and medieval commentators, and I even provide footnotes from about every generation, but I mostly focus on the Fathers and Medieval commentators. I also provide a linked concordance to the words of the Scriptures, and I provide a linked cross-reference to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Here is the link ocsb.wetpaint.com/

As for those books that I have not done I recommend the Navarre Bible, Ignatius Study Bible, and the Haydock Bible. Here is my other website where I provide a large amount of Bible commentaries for every book of the Bible, which are mostly the Fathers and Doctors of the Church litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/Bible+Commentaries-Fathers+and+Doctors
 
I use Veritas Bible which has the Haydock commentary…the commentary itself may be a bit difficult to understand (older English writing…not quite Shakespeare but takes an alert mind to read), but certainly is a good way to study the Bible. At least that’s what I’ve found!
 
I am making a Study Bible right now and I am putting online the material as I go. Although I have not gotten to Isaiah yet, I do have some books of the Bible done. I provide footnotes from the Church Fathers and medieval commentators, and I even provide footnotes from about every generation, but I mostly focus on the Fathers and Medieval commentators. I also provide a linked concordance to the words of the Scriptures, and I provide a linked cross-reference to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Here is the link ocsb.wetpaint.com/

As for those books that I have not done I recommend the Navarre Bible, Ignatius Study Bible, and the Haydock Bible. Here is my other website where I provide a large amount of Bible commentaries for every book of the Bible, which are mostly the Fathers and Doctors of the Church litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/Bible+Commentaries-Fathers+and+Doctors
Wow – what you’ve put together thus far is great! I’m DEFINITELY going to keep an eye on your site now and in the future. Thanks so much!!!

Best wishes,
Dean
 
I use Veritas Bible which has the Haydock commentary…the commentary itself may be a bit difficult to understand (older English writing…not quite Shakespeare but takes an alert mind to read), but certainly is a good way to study the Bible. At least that’s what I’ve found!
Is checked out the Veritas Bible as you recommended and I like what I see. I’ve been using the prophecy regarding Moab (Isaiah 16) as my baseline or sorts, as there is a lot of imagery that I’m sure made sense to people in ancient Israel, but that make no sense to somebody living ~2500 years later. The Haydock Commentary does a great job at ‘translating’ what is written, and I haven’t seen any of the issues understanding the type of language used in the commentary.

Thanks again for sharing! 👍

Dean
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top