Bible study - Navarre series, Ignatius NT

  • Thread starter Thread starter jwinch2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jwinch2

Guest
I just got my Navarre Old Testament Hardcover series in the other day! I’m very excited about this and can’t wait to start going through it. Does anyone else have this series and use it for study? I have the Ignatius NT as well and am almost finished going through it for the first time. I am hopeful that by the time I finish going through the Navarre OT and NT (the NT Navarre is my next purchase), the Ignatius OT complete volume will be out. That will give me two solidly Catholic Bible study resources to draw from which should take care of my needs for quite some time. 👍

Any thoughts on the Navarre series, the Ignatius volume or Bible study in general?

For those of you who have this series, do you prefer or recommend the single volume Expanded edition NT or the 3 volume NT series? I am strongly leaning towards the series at this time but thought I would solicit advice in any case.

Peace of Christ!

Jason
 
I just got my Navarre Old Testament Hardcover series in the other day! I’m very excited about this and can’t wait to start going through it. Does anyone else have this series and use it for study? I have the Ignatius NT as well and am almost finished going through it for the first time. I am hopeful that by the time I finish going through the Navarre OT and NT (the NT Navarre is my next purchase), the Ignatius OT complete volume will be out. That will give me two solidly Catholic Bible study resources to draw from which should take care of my needs for quite some time. 👍

Any thoughts on the Navarre series, the Ignatius volume or Bible study in general?

Peace of Christ!

Jason
Oh my – well, it took ten years for the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament to appear; there is three times as much text in the Old Testament. They say they are trying to pick up the pace, but I expect it to take another 10-15 years for the Old Testament to appear. I certainly hope you can finish the Navarre before then.
 
Oh my – well, it took ten years for the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament to appear; there is three times as much text in the Old Testament. They say they are trying to pick up the pace, but I expect it to take another 10-15 years for the Old Testament to appear. I certainly hope you can finish the Navarre before then.
As of last fall, Ignatius quoted two years on the OT volume coming out in its complete form. I checked with them about a month ago and still received the same quote on a projected release. It is my understanding that significant amounts of work had been done on the OT prior to the release of the NT single volume. This can be seen from the fact that individual OT volumes have already been release by Ignatius.
 
As of last fall, Ignatius quoted two years on the OT volume coming out in its complete form. It is my understanding that significant amounts of work had been done on the OT prior to the release of the NT. This can be seen from the fact that individual OT volumes have already been release by Ignatius.
Are you sure about that? I didn’t see that announcement, I saw an an announcement that they were uncertain how much time it would take.

As far as I know, the only individual volume in the OT to be released is Genesis.

Either way, let’s revive this thread in Fall 2012 and see if the OT volume is out or not – I predict it will not be even close.
 
I have the ten book Navarre Bible set in hardback (which I slowly collected in a little over a year). I lead a Bible study group and am part of the RCIA team at our parish, and I use the Navarre Bible commentary all the time. 👍
 
Here is the announcement I mentioned – note that the author is unsure of when the OT will be completed.
I’ve seen that before. All I have to go on is multiple e-mail and phone exchanges with the people at Ignatius press and they have been consistent in quoting a Fall 2012 release. I would be surprised if they make that exactly, but I wouldn’t expect it to be more than a few months later, probably before easter 2013. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. I hope it is close to on time as I really am getting a great deal out of their NT volume and I am sure they will do a fantastic job on the OT.

Having said that, this thread was not really designed to be a projection of the publication schedule of Ignatius press. I appreciate your (name removed by moderator)ut but I would really like to get back to my original intent and discuss the Navarre study Bible series and the questions I posted originally. I’m not trying to be a jerk so I hope this doesn’t come across the wrong way, but I hate to see threads get derailed within the first three posts! LOL

Cheers,
 
I have the ten book Navarre Bible set in hardback (which I slowly collected in a little over a year). I lead a Bible study group and am part of the RCIA team at our parish, and I use the Navarre Bible commentary all the time. 👍
Thanks. I can’t wait to dive into it.
 
I just got my Navarre Old Testament Hardcover series in the other day! I’m very excited about this and can’t wait to start going through it. Does anyone else have this series and use it for study? I have the Ignatius NT as well and am almost finished going through it for the first time. I am hopeful that by the time I finish going through the Navarre OT and NT (the NT Navarre is my next purchase), the Ignatius OT complete volume will be out. That will give me two solidly Catholic Bible study resources to draw from which should take care of my needs for quite some time. 👍

Any thoughts on the Navarre series, the Ignatius volume or Bible study in general?

For those of you who have this series, do you prefer or recommend the single volume Expanded edition NT or the 3 volume NT series? I am strongly leaning towards the series at this time but thought I would solicit advice in any case.

Peace of Christ!

Jason
I have the Ignatious NT Commentary and the complete Navarre series OT and NT, and also the single volume Navarre NT expanded version.

Here are my thoughts:
  1. The Ignatius NT commentary seemed lite and missed some areas where I would have liked more information. A lot seemed very similar to the commentary in the NAB. Having said this, I knew only 10% of what was in the Ignatius commentary, so I should not complain too much. It is an excellent resource and it is available in Kindle and epub format, so you can download it and have it in church or a study group. Navigation even in the Kindle format is straight forward and very usable.
  2. The Navarre NT expanded edition seems to have more information in it, particularly from recent sources. The series seemed to be heavily weighted to JoseMaria Escriva. However, the formating of the series is much more amenable that the single volume edition. The text is larger in the series and therefore easier to read. The expanded edition is one mighty tome. No sitting up in bed reading that one. But then you do have the benefits of it being all in one.
  3. The Navarre OT is excellent, but some areas are blank.
  4. However, having said all of this about the Navarre, it is more detailed than the Ignatius Commentary. My concerns about Ignatious is that it is heavily influenced by Scott Hahn. Now Dr. Hahn is orthodox (small “o”) so no problems there, but doesn’t give me complete confidence as the Navarre does that it is not just his interpretation. No criticism there, just my own foible, and again Dr. Hahn knows and lives far more than I ever dream of being able to do.
  5. In the end for study, have a selection of commentaries. I will often pull out the Navarre, Ignatius, The Catechism, Orchard’s Bible commentary (and for an OT scripture Rashi’s commentary on the Tanach) and look at each one in turn, and then see if my Olivetree Bible (iPhone / Andoid app) NAB commentary says anything different. And now of course, I see if Pope Benedict’s Jesus of Nazareth vol 1 and 2 sheds any additional light on the subject. That’s one very cluttered dining room table.
In the end Jason, you cannot go wrong with the Navarre. Enjoy.

God Bless,

Hal.
 
Overall, I use multiple commentaries for Bible study, RCIA etc. Along with the Navarre series I use the Ignatius Study Bible- NT, the International Bible Commentary and the Collegeville Bible Commentary. I also have numerous other Study Bibles to draw from. Many times there will be a blank in one commentary about a particular verse of scripture that will be covered in another. I also like a blend of devotional and historical-critical commentary.
 
Jwinch2: I was responding to the (rather open-ended) question:

Any thoughts on the Navarre series, the Ignatius volume or Bible study in general?

I didn’t think my comments were off-topic, but I respect your wish not to talk about the mechanics of the Ignatius series.
 
Jwinch2: I was responding to the (rather open-ended) question:

Any thoughts on the Navarre series, the Ignatius volume or Bible study in general?

I didn’t think my comments were off-topic, but I respect your wish not to talk about the mechanics of the Ignatius series.
No worries on my end. Perhaps I should have been more direct in my original statements.

Peace!
 
I have the Ignatious NT Commentary and the complete Navarre series OT and NT, and also the single volume Navarre NT expanded version.

Here are my thoughts:
  1. The Ignatius NT commentary seemed lite and missed some areas where I would have liked more information. A lot seemed very similar to the commentary in the NAB. Having said this, I knew only 10% of what was in the Ignatius commentary, so I should not complain too much. It is an excellent resource and it is available in Kindle and epub format, so you can download it and have it in church or a study group. Navigation even in the Kindle format is straight forward and very usable.
  2. The Navarre NT expanded edition seems to have more information in it, particularly from recent sources. The series seemed to be heavily weighted to JoseMaria Escriva. However, the formating of the series is much more amenable that the single volume edition. The text is larger in the series and therefore easier to read. The expanded edition is one mighty tome. No sitting up in bed reading that one. But then you do have the benefits of it being all in one.
  3. The Navarre OT is excellent, but some areas are blank.
  4. However, having said all of this about the Navarre, it is more detailed than the Ignatius Commentary. My concerns about Ignatious is that it is heavily influenced by Scott Hahn. Now Dr. Hahn is orthodox (small “o”) so no problems there, but doesn’t give me complete confidence as the Navarre does that it is not just his interpretation. No criticism there, just my own foible, and again Dr. Hahn knows and lives far more than I ever dream of being able to do.
  5. In the end for study, have a selection of commentaries. I will often pull out the Navarre, Ignatius, The Catechism, Orchard’s Bible commentary (and for an OT scripture Rashi’s commentary on the Tanach) and look at each one in turn, and then see if my Olivetree Bible (iPhone / Andoid app) NAB commentary says anything different. And now of course, I see if Pope Benedict’s Jesus of Nazareth vol 1 and 2 sheds any additional light on the subject. That’s one very cluttered dining room table.
In the end Jason, you cannot go wrong with the Navarre. Enjoy.

God Bless,

Hal.
Thanks for the detailed response. I am new to Bible study so I was trying to make sure that what I was getting was going to be faithful to the Magesterium in its teaching. I have found many quotes from the Church fathers and references to the CCC in the Ignatius so I have not come away, so far, with feeling like it was Dr. Hahn’s take on anything but again, I am new to this so perhaps I am off a bit.

I will likely eventually pick up more study aids but again, I wanted to make sure that what I started with was faithful and orthodox in its Catholic teachings…

Cheers,
 
Thanks for the detailed response. I am new to Bible study so I was trying to make sure that what I was getting was going to be faithful to the Magesterium in its teaching. I have found many quotes from the Church fathers and references to the CCC in the Ignatius so I have not come away, so far, with feeling like it was Dr. Hahn’s take on anything but again, I am new to this so perhaps I am off a bit.

I will likely eventually pick up more study aids but again, I wanted to make sure that what I started with was faithful and orthodox in its Catholic teachings…

Cheers,
I agree with your take on the Ignatius. I have it and the Navarre 10 volume set. They are both wonderful and for different reasons.

The Navarre helps me to understand “the whole picture”, while the Ignatius helps me to understand what is meant by certain phrases and words.
 
I agree with your take on the Ignatius. I have it and the Navarre 10 volume set. They are both wonderful and for different reasons.

The Navarre helps me to understand “the whole picture”, while the Ignatius helps me to understand what is meant by certain phrases and words.
Interesting. I am looking forward to getting into the Navarre series once I finish my first go through of the Ignatius NT. As a recent convert to the Faith, I have been woefully ignorant of sacred scripture my entire life and I am looking to remedy that as much as possible. From what little I have seen, I like Saint Josemaria Escriva’s take on spirituality a great deal and am interested in learning more about it in light of Scripture as well as the Church Fathers, the CCC, etc.

Peace,
 
For those of you who have this series, do you prefer or recommend the single volume Expanded edition NT or the 3 volume NT series? I am strongly leaning towards the series at this time but thought I would solicit advice in any case.

Peace of Christ!

Jason
It is important to note that the Expanded edition is a new work. It can of course stand by itself…but it is a different work than the three or 12 (all are very good). It can be something to get along with the 3 (or 12). I use both.
 
I have the Ignatious NT Commentary and the complete Navarre series OT and NT, and also the single volume Navarre NT expanded version.

Here are my thoughts:
The Navarre NT expanded edition seems to have more information in it, particularly from recent sources. The series seemed to be heavily weighted to JoseMaria Escriva.

(well…it was his idea ! …)

However, the formating of the series is much more amenable that the single volume edition. The text is larger in the series and therefore easier to read.

The font is the same for all of them actually…
.
 
I recommend having all three:

Navarre

Ignatius

and

The this one that is just starting out:

catholicscripturecommentary.com/

The all three a different from one another so do not really compete …they rather dovetail nicely together.
 
I recommend having all three:

Navarre

Ignatius

and

The this one that is just starting out:

catholicscripturecommentary.com/

The all three a different from one another so do not really compete …they rather dovetail nicely together.
Thanks, I had seen the CCSS one before but really hadn’t stopped to take a look at it closely until you mentioned it. I will likely wait to see if they put things together in a larger volume rather than the individual books they have now but it definitely looks like it will be worth having down the road. Combine that with hopefully the Ignatius OT, and now the Catholic Scripture Study International Bible, the Haydock Commentaries, etc. and I don’t think I will be lacking in resources! I am glad to see so many faithful commentaries coming out for Catholics!

What I am really struggling with and I started another thread on this topic earlier is finding a systematic method in regards to the order of studying sacred scripture. If anyone has any thoughts on that, I would appreciate you chiming in on this thread: forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=565573

Thanks and God Bless!
 
I will likely wait to see if they put things together in a larger volume rather than the individual books they have now but it definitely looks like it will be worth having down the road.
I don’t think a single volume is likely – the volume on Mark, for example, is about 350 pages long. I suspect that the entire NT series, when completed, will be in the range of 4000-5000 pages; when the OT is added, it will probably encompass 15,000 pages.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top