S
srfnolen
Guest
What is the most highly recommended version of the Bible for Catholics?
Speaking only of text, there is little difference. The criticism for the NAB was the footnotes, not the text.Depends who’s doing the recommending.
If you’d like an older translation which still has the “thees” and “thous,” I’d personally recommend the Challoner Douay-Rheims (DRV). If you want something with more modern English, the Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition (RSV-CE) is pretty good, and is used on the Vatican’s Bible study website “Bibliaclerus”.
Anything with “New” in the title is likely to have a politically correct bent. The Vatican deemed the original New American Bible (NAB) unfit for liturgical use, but a revised version of the text is used for the English Lectionary, and there’s also a revised version (different from the liturgical version) for personal use. I haven’t looked at it, so I can’t give a review.
When I finished RCIA, I was given a Catholic Bible anyway. We all were. It’s “The New Revised Standard Version”.What is the most highly recommended version of the Bible for Catholics?
The Ignatius Bible is so called because it’s a Bible that’s published by Ignatius Press. More specifically, it’s the Revised Standard Version - **Second **Catholic Edition.What is the “Ignatius” Bible?
The Good News Bible is what I used when I was that age. It’s a much easier read, but eventually, one will have to outgrow it.Now, let’s turn to a preferred Bible for children from age 10 through young adult. Any ideas?