Bibles for young people

  • Thread starter Thread starter bauerice
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bauerice

Guest
I was at a local store looking at the bibles, when I struck up a conversation with another RC. She was showing me the cool covers and formats of Protestant Bibles. They were geared toward young people. They had Bibles that had cool covers and designs for every age group. Cartoon types for the really young and designs for teens and young adults. She shared with me the frustration, with not being able to find Catholic Bibles, that were appealing to her kids and kids friends like these.
Most of us on these forums can debate the strong points and weak points of different versions. Yet, aren’t we missing the point that Protestants are making Bible reading more appealing to kids. So many young Catholics are picking up those appealing covers and layouts. Catholic publishers are far behind.
 
If they need colourful covers on Bibles to get them to read it, God help us all.
 
Regular bookstores stock only what sells to their clientelle. I’d recommend you try some online searching, such as this in Amazon:
amazon.com/First-Catholic-Bible-Children-Devotional/dp/0785258442

We just recently picked up a Children’s Bible and Children’s Catholic Encyclopedia at our parish bookstore (unusually well stocked) for our great-grandson. We were amazed (my wife is a retired teacher) at the clear writing and illustrations.

Another great source of information for kids and adults is the Channing-Bete web-site: FaithGuides (Please do a Google search). There you can purchase specific Catholic pamphlets and coloring books for children’s use, or a bunch for adult use as well.
 
There are many Catholic bibles geared (and illustrated) for every age group. There are picture books of Bible stories, youth Bibles, First Communion Bibles teen bibles, Confirmation Bibles and young adult Bibles. There are even comic books of Bible stories and saints. There are Bible covers and Bible stickers.

If your friend is not finding “cool” Catholic Bibles, I am willing to bet she isn’t looking in Catholic bookstores or on Catholic Bible websites.
 
I was at a local store looking at the bibles, when I struck up a conversation with another RC. She was showing me the cool covers and formats of Protestant Bibles. They were geared toward young people. They had Bibles that had cool covers and designs for every age group. Cartoon types for the really young and designs for teens and young adults. She shared with me the frustration, with not being able to find Catholic Bibles, that were appealing to her kids and kids friends like these.
Most of us on these forums can debate the strong points and weak points of different versions. Yet, aren’t we missing the point that Protestants are making Bible reading more appealing to kids. So many young Catholics are picking up those appealing covers and layouts. Catholic publishers are far behind.
I had to say it, but you can’t judge a book by its cover!
 
I noticed that when I was working group home the kids really liked the look of my RSV-CE pocket bible with the Miraculous Medal zipper. It was red leather and very nicely made. So much so that the kids wanted it for themselves. It’s not only cartoons and colors that attract children to read but also stately made quality bibles. Get them a really nice looking bible and that might make up for not having a “cool” cover by contemporary standards.
 
Some of the Bibles one sees in bookstores border on profanity. I mean really, do we need the cover of the Bible to resemble a football with the NFL logo? I’ve seen NASCAR Bibles and even a Bible with a picture of President Obama on the cover with a saying about miracles.

To me, a Bible should be immediately recognizable as such. A Bible is supposed to be special and its appearance should reflect it’s contents. Children should know by it’s appearance that it is a special book, one that is different and important. When they hold it they should feel that they are holding something amazing, unlike any other book they will ever hold.

There is a place for the paperback study Bible, one which can be thrown in the back seat of the car or taken to the beach. But wrapping the word of God in poliitical or corporate sponsorship or in symbols of worldly persuits just doesn’t sit right with me.

-Tim-
 
Some of the Bibles one sees in bookstores border on profanity. I mean really, do we need the cover of the Bible to resemble a football with the NFL logo? I’ve seen NASCAR Bibles and even a Bible with a picture of President Obama on the cover with a saying about miracles.

To me, a Bible should be immediately recognizable as such. A Bible is supposed to be special and its appearance should reflect it’s contents. Children should know by it’s appearance that it is a special book, one that is different and important. When they hold it they should feel that they are holding something amazing, unlike any other book they will ever hold.

There is a place for the paperback study Bible, one which can be thrown in the back seat of the car or taken to the beach. But wrapping the word of God in poliitical or corporate sponsorship or in symbols of worldly persuits just doesn’t sit right with me.
-Tim-
Tim, while I appreciate your sentiment (I really do), I disagree. We are in a new world, kids in front of TV’s playing video games. Heck, 8 year olds now have cell phones and text away. My 10 year old grandaughter was given a laptop, by her school to do school work. It’s a different age (maybe I’m just old).
**I think the lack of kids reading in general requires us to do whatever it takes spark their interest. **
 
I like the Prove It Teen Bible myself. Love all of Amy’s Prove It series actually. When I was first converting, I found that since I was coming to the faith as a child, I started reading children/teen books. 🙂
 
Christian bible is known as the best book ever made. Get a good size bible and start reading it, at least little everyday. Everything from Genesis to Revelation!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top