Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia

  • Thread starter Thread starter Epistemes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Epistemes

Guest
I want to be able to **read **this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblia_Hebraica_Stuttgartensia

So, I need to learn biblical Hebrew. What is the best way for a working man to do so?

I’ve looked into attending courses at some of the surrounding Bible colleges and divinity schools, but given that Spring is approaching, most Hebrew students are entering their second semester of the subject.

So, I need a way that I can hopefully learn this foreign language on my own in my home.

I would appreciate any recommendations.
 
If you have an older (i.e…, Windows XP) computer, I would recommend Hebrew Tutor by Parsons Technology. Unfortunately, the program doesn’t work on Vista and 7. It will give you a good start, but even after a year’s study in your free time, you’re going to need a good interlinear. Hebrew is a Semitic language, which means it’s very different from anything you might have had experience with (unless you grew up in the Middle East).

DaveBj (language geek)
 
If you have an older (i.e…, Windows XP) computer, I would recommend Hebrew Tutor by Parsons Technology. Unfortunately, the program doesn’t work on Vista and 7. It will give you a good start, but even after a year’s study in your free time, you’re going to need a good interlinear. Hebrew is a Semitic language, which means it’s very different from anything you might have had experience with (unless you grew up in the Middle East).

DaveBj (language geek)
I have been looking at some software applications as they seem to provide the most interactive experience, providing a suitable substitute for the classroom. I am thinking on beginning there with some flashcards for vocabulary memorization.

I am intrigued, however, by your comment that I will still need a good interlinear. I wonder, then, who could ever utilize the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia aside from scholars and, as you say, someone from the cultural or religious background well-aware of Semitic phonology, syntax and grammar? If what you say is true, then perhaps I am better off investing in the JPS Hebrew-English Tanakh - though, it would sadden me more than just a little to have the English present.
 
I have been looking at some software applications as they seem to provide the most interactive experience, providing a suitable substitute for the classroom. I am thinking on beginning there with some flashcards for vocabulary memorization.

I am intrigued, however, by your comment that I will still need a good interlinear. I wonder, then, who could ever utilize the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia aside from scholars and, as you say, someone from the cultural or religious background well-aware of Semitic phonology, syntax and grammar? If what you say is true, then perhaps I am better off investing in the JPS Hebrew-English Tanakh - though, it would sadden me more than just a little to have the English present.
Taking a class should be your first option, I’d think. Try a local synagogue or Hillel center if you’re thinking about beginning in the spring and the classes offered in your local educational institutions don’t align with your abilities. They might even be able to hook you up with a tutor that can guide you. A university will likely be both a better and a cheaper option than a local seminary or div school. College or University departments that teach Hebrew will also be able to recommend more advanced students who would probably be willing to help you at little to no cost.

If all that is not possible, then I’d recommend working through a text rather than just software–software is a great help, but alone I don’t think will get you to where you want to go. There’s really no overwhelmingly great beginning Hebrew Grammar at the moment, but I’d recommend

amazon.com/Basic-Introduction-Biblical-Hebrew/dp/159856028X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289262421&sr=8-1

If you’ve studied foreign languages before in an academic setting, then I think you should be able to work through this pretty much on your own. Little kids have been learning to read Hebrew as a foreign language for centuries–you can do it too!

Also, keep in mind that there’s a fairly significant difference between Biblical Hebrew and Modern Hebrew, so be careful that you don’t end up wasting your money on something you don’t want.

Learning Hebrew gives you great insight into both seeing the beauty of the text as well as its complexity–and the important ability to read translations critically. Interlinears are very helpful for learning a language, but on their own I think fairly worthless. An interlinear is basically a translation that’s strictly literal–but still only a translation. A program like BibleWorks or Accordance will be helpful, but is also of limited use–for the same reasons.

All translations involve choosing one or more English words out of many possibilities. An interlinear won’t give you the broader sense of the underlying Hebrew words nor will it give you the ability to see what other possibilities the translator might have chosen or the problems are in the various translations. I suppose if you could find an interlinear with explanatory notes or footnotes–that might be helpful–but I don’t know of any.
 
Taking a class should be your first option, I’d think. Try a local synagogue or Hillel center if you’re thinking about beginning in the spring and the classes offered in your local educational institutions don’t align with your abilities. They might even be able to hook you up with a tutor that can guide you. A university will likely be both a better and a cheaper option than a local seminary or div school. College or University departments that teach Hebrew will also be able to recommend more advanced students who would probably be willing to help you at little to no cost.

If all that is not possible, then I’d recommend working through a text rather than just software–software is a great help, but alone I don’t think will get you to where you want to go. There’s really no overwhelmingly great beginning Hebrew Grammar at the moment, but I’d recommend

amazon.com/Basic-Introduction-Biblical-Hebrew/dp/159856028X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289262421&sr=8-1
Thanks for the recommendations.

I’ve contacted the only synagogue in my city. Hopefully I’ll hear something back. It’d be nice to work with someone if for no other reason than accountability.

The universities seem ideal, but I’m not sure how pragmatic that would be for me. I’ll try to get in touch with some professors of Judaism and see what they can suggest.

The reviews on the textbook which you recommend seem to be less than favorable. I’m thinking about investing in Davka’s “Biblical Hebrew” software to begin with. It has good reviews. From there, I’ll invest in a textbook or two, I think. This, of course, is if I’m not capable of finding a tutor or something similar.
 
Thanks for the recommendations.

I’ve contacted the only synagogue in my city. Hopefully I’ll hear something back. It’d be nice to work with someone if for no other reason than accountability.

The universities seem ideal, but I’m not sure how pragmatic that would be for me. I’ll try to get in touch with some professors of Judaism and see what they can suggest.

The reviews on the textbook which you recommend seem to be less than favorable. I’m thinking about investing in Davka’s “Biblical Hebrew” software to begin with. It has good reviews. From there, I’ll invest in a textbook or two, I think. This, of course, is if I’m not capable of finding a tutor or something similar.
I’ve tried a few Davka products over the years and they seem to work just fine.

Unfortunately, B.H. textbooks range from mediocre to bad, imo. I still think Hackett’s is the best one out there, but results vary, I’m sure. It’s interesting that most reviewers don’t seem to suggest any alternatives they think are better.
 
I have been looking at some software applications as they seem to provide the most interactive experience, providing a suitable substitute for the classroom. I am thinking on beginning there with some flashcards for vocabulary memorization.

I am intrigued, however, by your comment that I will still need a good interlinear. I wonder, then, who could ever utilize the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia aside from scholars and, as you say, someone from the cultural or religious background well-aware of Semitic phonology, syntax and grammar? If what you say is true, then perhaps I am better off investing in the JPS Hebrew-English Tanakh - though, it would sadden me more than just a little to have the English present.
Actually, the interlinear that I have (the NIV Interlinear Hebrew-English Old Testament) does, in fact, use the BHS. On the down-side, it’s in four volumes and available for $50-60 through the various book-handlers. There’s also a one-volume version; Christianbook.com is offering it for $59.00

As far as having the English present is concerned, hey, I’ll take all the help I can get.

There may be some computer-based Bible-study programs (mostly Protestant, you’ll find) that have interlinears. I have an old version of PC study Bible that has interlinears that I consult frequently. I’ve visited their website (biblesoft.com), but I haven’t yet figured out what level you have to invest in to get the interlinear.

I just wish I could find an online hebrew OT source that I could capture in my word processor and print out. I’m also sort of half-heartedly in the market for a multi-lingual word processor that would include Hebrew and Arabic.

DaveBj
 
One of the professors at my old university got back in touch with me, advising me to contact some local synagogues. I contacted one and they have already started classes for the Fall and won’t begin again until next Septemeber. There was no invitation to play catch-up and join at a later date, which is disappointing. I don’t know what will come of the other contacts.
 
One of the professors at my old university got back in touch with me, advising me to contact some local synagogues. I contacted one and they have already started classes for the Fall and won’t begin again until next Septemeber. There was no invitation to play catch-up and join at a later date, which is disappointing. I don’t know what will come of the other contacts.
It’s starting to sound like a tutor might be your best bet. I know you’re not so into textbooks, but if you ultimately decide to go the synagogue route, then perhaps you can see which textbook they are using and start working on it to get a jump on next fall.
 
So, I need to learn biblical Hebrew. What is the best way for a working man to do so?
Any direction you take to learn Hebrew you’ll need to learn its alphabet: how to recognize and write the letters, and the letter phonetics. Might as well get started…phonetics at this link jewfaq.org/alephbet.htm

read Hebrew from right to left (aleph ‘A’ is rightmost and Tav ‘T’ leftmost letter):

א ב ג ד ה ו ז ח ט י כ ל מ נ ס ע פ צ ק ר ש ת

hope you reach your goal of reading the BHS 👍
 
It’s starting to sound like a tutor might be your best bet. I know you’re not so into textbooks, but if you ultimately decide to go the synagogue route, then perhaps you can see which textbook they are using and start working on it to get a jump on next fall.
I think I’ve crafted a fairly good gameplan:

The local synagogue offers biblical Hebrew classes every Wednesday evening @ 7 PM. I am attending tonight just to get a feel for the classes and speak with the instructor. Each semester costs $100.

In conjunction with this, I will use the Davka “Biblical Hebrew” software.

I will also probably purchase an array of textbooks just to have access to various teaching methods for each concept.
 
I think I’ve crafted a fairly good gameplan:

The local synagogue offers biblical Hebrew classes every Wednesday evening @ 7 PM. I am attending tonight just to get a feel for the classes and speak with the instructor. Each semester costs $100.

In conjunction with this, I will use the Davka “Biblical Hebrew” software.

I will also probably purchase an array of textbooks just to have access to various teaching methods for each concept.
Sounds like a plan!
 
Actually, the interlinear that I have (the NIV Interlinear Hebrew-English Old Testament) does, in fact, use the BHS. On the down-side, it’s in four volumes and available for $50-60 through the various book-handlers. There’s also a one-volume version; Christianbook.com is offering it for $59.00.
I know that text, and it doesn’t really use the BHS – the main point of the BHS is the extensive apparatus that it contains that explains all of the textual variations. Without those variations, it is not the BHS – it is simply the Masoretic text. I also cannot recommend that book because it makes the Hebrew concordant with the NIV translation – but the NIV translation is rather free and paraphrastic. It also explains no grammar at all.

The best discussion of Hebrew Biblical grammar in English is the Baylor University Handbooks. For example, Genesis 1-11: A Handbook on the Hebrew Text breaks down the grammar of the of the first 11 chapters of Genesis, and it takes 600+ pages to do it. You can look on Amazon’s “look inside” to see if it is what you are looking for. There are also handbooks on Amos, Ruth, and Jonah (and by the way, they have Greek handbooks too: Epistles of John, Ephesians, Acts, and 1 Peter.)

BHS is being revised by the way – the new version is called Biblia Hebraica Quinta. Here is an article about it. Volumes are now appearing – it is spectacular.

I definitely disagree that you need or should use an interlinear translation. If you use an interlinear translation, I can pretty much guarantee that you’ll never learn the language. Further, many words in Hebrew are unclear – for example, they are hapax legomena that only appear once in the Hebrew Bible. When they appear in an interlinear edition, you’re getting a very narrow interpretation. Finally, you can’t understand the Hebrew Bible from vocabulary alone – you need grammar, and interlinears won’t help you at all with that. (The Baylor handbooks listed above will help you with that, however.)

What you need is a contextual dictionary that will allow you to figure out what those words mean (and compare them to other Semitic languages). An older but still definitive lexicon for the Hebrew Bible is Brown-Driver-Briggs – you can find it online for free, but it is so hard to use online that I’d recommend picking up a print copy (it is not expensive). Most beginners find the index also useful – strictly speaking, it is not necessary, but it will save you hundreds of hours.

The best introduction to Hebrew I know is Prayerbook Hebrew the Easy Way. I know, you are thinking – prayerbook Hebrew? I want to read the Bible in Hebrew, not say Jewish prayers. But Jewish prayers are, by and large, written in Biblical Hebrew, so this is actually a very gentle introduction to Biblical Hebrew. Frankly, it will only get you part of the way to your goal, but it can help a little bit. You’ll also definitely need the spoken word CD that accompanies it – and I also recommending getting the flashcards and the dictionary. If you prefer, you can get the flashcards for the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad at the iTunes store.

However, even that book may be too much for you if you are starting out. If you are starting out, your first goal is simply to learn to vocalize Hebrew. Books like Teach Yourself to Read Hebrew or Learn Hebrew Today: Alef-Bet for Adults are useful – but please realize that this will only teach you how to pronounce written Hebrew. That’s a necessary first step, though, and it takes some time to get it right.

But even after you finish these books, you’ll only have begun learning Hebrew. Then you’ll be able to tackle a first year college textbook, and there are lots of good choices at that level. Let me know when you get to that point, and I’ll give you some recommendations.
 
I know that text, and it doesn’t really use the BHS – the main point of the BHS is the extensive apparatus that it contains that explains all of the textual variations. Without those variations, it is not the BHS – it is simply the Masoretic text. I also cannot recommend that book because it makes the Hebrew concordant with the NIV translation – but the NIV translation is rather free and paraphrastic. It also explains no grammar at all.
It uses the text from the BHS, but I see your point about not explaining the textual variations. I would like to have that explanation (like in the two Greek NTs that I have), but I don’t. I do have several Hebrew grammars, but not the ones that you mentioned. For dictionaries, I have a Strong’s (which is next to useless, except for linking frorm the JKV English word to the Hebrew word) and a BDB.

snip

I definitely disagree that you need or should use an interlinear translation. If you use an interlinear translation, I can pretty much guarantee that you’ll never learn the language. Further, many words in Hebrew are unclear – for example, they are hapax legomena that only appear once in the Hebrew Bible. When they appear in an interlinear edition, you’re getting a very narrow interpretation. Finally, you can’t understand the Hebrew Bible from vocabulary alone – you need grammar, and interlinears won’t help you at all with that. (The Baylor handbooks listed above will help you with that, however.)

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I wasn’t thinking of using an interlinear by itself as a primary teaching tool, but it’s a great secondary tool when you hit one of those “what the heck does that mean?” moments. I’m in particular thinking of the interlinear in my PC Study Bible software, which has the Strong’s reference numbers, which you can click on and jump straight to the entry in the Strong’s concordance, and link from there to the BDB. Saves a whole bunch of page-turning.

snip
I think I’ve crafted a fairly good gameplan:

The local synagogue offers biblical Hebrew classes every Wednesday evening @ 7 PM. I am attending tonight just to get a feel for the classes and speak with the instructor. Each semester costs $100.

In conjunction with this, I will use the Davka “Biblical Hebrew” software.

I will also probably purchase an array of textbooks just to have access to various teaching methods for each concept.
It does sound like a plan, but you have a very long row to hoe. Don’t get discouraged when the going gets tough. Lots of Westerners like us have learned Hebrew with a lot fewer aids than what we have available.

DaveBj
 
The best introduction to Hebrew I know is Prayerbook Hebrew the Easy Way. I know, you are thinking – prayerbook Hebrew? I want to read the Bible in Hebrew, not say Jewish prayers. But Jewish prayers are, by and large, written in Biblical Hebrew, so this is actually a very gentle introduction to Biblical Hebrew. Frankly, it will only get you part of the way to your goal, but it can help a little bit. You’ll also definitely need the spoken word CD that accompanies it – and I also recommending getting the flashcards and the dictionary. If you prefer, you can get the flashcards for the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad at the iTunes store.

However, even that book may be too much for you if you are starting out. If you are starting out, your first goal is simply to learn to vocalize Hebrew. Books like Teach Yourself to Read Hebrew or Learn Hebrew Today: Alef-Bet for Adults are useful – but please realize that this will only teach you how to pronounce written Hebrew. That’s a necessary first step, though, and it takes some time to get it right.
I appreciate your (name removed by moderator)ut. After speaking with a rabbi yesterday, I realize that I have to approach Hebrew slowly and not rush the process of learning. So, after some assessment, concluding that I know practically nothing about Hebrew, not even the alphabet, I recognized that I need to start there. So, I placed an order for Teach Yourself to Read Hebrew yesterday, but I will likely also order Learn Hebrew Today, as well, based on your recommendation. This will correspond well with the intial tutoring that I’ll be receiving starting in January. My tutor, a professor of philosophy, admitted he doesn’t know grammar but should be able to introduce me to the basics of Hebrew up through prayerbook Hebrew. I suspect this process will take a number of months in and of itself, so I will hold off on purchasing the more pricey Davka software or college textbooks. Instead, taking this process more pragmatically, once I familiarize myself with the alphabet and the sounds, I will then invest in the prayerbook which you recommend.

What are your opinions of The Reader’s Hebrew Bible? I think that owning a copy of the pure Hebrew text will give me an objective goal to work at, and from the reviews this version, being less academic than the BHS, seems tailored to a person, such as myself, who is learning to read Hebrew. Perhaps when I turn 70, my proficiency in Hebrew will be suitable for actually owning the BHS. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top