Biblical Basis for Keeping Kosher

  • Thread starter Thread starter rwoehmke
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rwoehmke

Guest
I have been away for a while recovering from septicemia and an amputation of a foot. Two months of that time was spent in a Jewish transitional care facility. All the meals were Kosher. The prohibition of certain foods is found in the Old Testament, but I was not able to find any reference to keeping meat meals separate from dairy/non-meat meals. What is the Scriptural basis form this rule/practice? The meals were Kosher, but mostly very tasty except for matzo during the days of passover.
 
I have been away for a while recovering from septicemia and an amputation of a foot. Two months of that time was spent in a Jewish transitional care facility. All the meals were Kosher. The prohibition of certain foods is found in the Old Testament, but I was not able to find any reference to keeping meat meals separate from dairy/non-meat meals. What is the Scriptural basis form this rule/practice? The meals were Kosher, but mostly very tasty except for matzo during the days of passover.
The basis for this rule is derived from Ex 23:19b: “You shall boil a kid in its mother’s milk.”
 
it has to do both with the prohibition against mixing in general,(such as Lev 19:19–the whole chapter gives specifics on how to interpret the decalogue in daily living, and adds some specific prohibitions) and the prohibition thou shalt not seethe the meat of the kid in its mother’s milk.(Deut 14:21) Lev 11 has the general descriptions of clean an unclean food. They are repeated in Deut. 14.
The provsions about not eating the blood or fat are in the description of the various types of sacrifice.
 
Thanks , I thought that the laws were an expansion of something like that reference by later scholars or comrnentaters. :)👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top