Biblical dryness?

  • Thread starter Thread starter iwillrisenow
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iwillrisenow

Guest
I am relatively new to the Church and come from a nominally Protestant background, so I am not the typical well-versed-in-the-Bible type of convert. And I am having a lot of trouble becoming totally engrossed in Bible Study. I am more than halfway through one of the well known programs that is supposed to be amazing, but am just not connecting with the Bible. It’s painful to go, because everyone else is just on fire with the scriptures and all I can do is sit there and wonder how I’m missing out on everything. Sometimes when a specific verse is pointed out to me or when I read in a deep, prayerful state, I see the richness that the Bible offers to us all. Which only saddens me more when I am unable to really get into it (particularly parts of the OT). Sometimes I wonder if it’s because I am somewhat of a visual learner (images tend to help me connect to stories, even with the added element of artist’s interpretation). Other times, I wonder if there isn’t something seriously wrong with me in my faith, and if I can even call myself a Christian in this state. :imsorry:

Has anyone else dealt with biblical dryness (not sure what to call it exactly…)? Should I wait until after confirmation to try and delve deeper? Look into other methods of study?
 
Hi, just because you learn and perceive differently to others doesn’t mean your faith is less. It just means you need to find your own best way of reading the gospels!

One of my brothers, who is a human relations officer, gave a roomful of people twenty minutes of talk in language that was as clear of images as possible, whilst demonstrating differences between learning propensities. The visual learners were bored to frustration.

I’m sure the programs you are attempting are ‘amazing’ for some, but you need to find your own way of studying and appreciating scripture. Be happy to be you, and to have the abilities that you have, which doubtless have their own valuable characteristics, and find your own way to inspiration in the Bible.

God bless you and guide you!

Warm regards, Trishie
 
Hear is a site on Iconography that may interest you:

Iconography Guide

I’m book-marking it. It’s fantastic. It was just upgraded yesterday. Hear are some excerpts:
Site was created with the intention to help people who want to learniconografy
, or exploring iconografy, offers a thorough tutorial. Such literature has not been in the Serbian and English language so far. There are books that deal with around the icon, talking about the history of icons, icons apologetics, interpreting the Holy Fathers, or dealing with an icon on Philosophical-Theological way. There was no literature that a man could learn to iconography. An exception is the excellent book “Mala Erminija Vojislava Zografa” (on Serbian) but it covers only a part, is not complete.

We tried to take advantage of modern computer technology, therefore, We did it guide in form on-line encyclopedia.We did not want the electronic form of textbook only because of the trend or fashion, but to give the reader much more than what it can provide common paper edition. Beside on-line version, the plan is to release the DVD with the same content.

The advantages of electronic forms are as follows: plenty of photos and drawings (which is expensive for printing in paper editions), videos, computer animations, facilitating search and navigation, easy to copy and minimum cost of the disk, connection to other resources on the Internet.

Bearing in mind the mental and spiritual benefits of such guide, from the beginning We wanted to be a free guide, or sold at symbolic prices, which would only cover the cost of making the disc. Also, our intention was not to earn on this project, but to God, serve my brothers and sisters, hoping that this site will be at least somebody on benefit. Given all told, the entire work on the guide will be organized voluntary, allowing easy participation of interested parties.
Someone poeticly said that the iconography is “theology of colors”, which is really true. The purpose of the icon is to theologicaly represent character or some event from the Bible. This is very important for faithful people to teach them and help them to turn their mind and spirit to God.
The text on the icons are shortcuts. The word “ΩN O” means “I am the one who I am” and it appears in the halo of Christ, and indicates that He is this one God who also appeared to Moses at unburnable blackberry.
How can you not love this Serbian’s English?

I hope to see you there!

Iconography Guide
 
I . It’s painful to go, because everyone else is just on fire with the scriptures and all I can do is sit there and wonder how I’m missing out on everything. Sometimes when a specific verse is pointed out to me or when I read in a deep, prayerful state, I see the richness that the Bible offers to us all.
that is your first clue
it is much more in the Catholic tradition to pray with scripture than to study scripture as in a formal study of the text. that is not to say formal study is not necessary, it is, but we always begin and end with prayer. That is what turns an academic exercise into “God speaks, I listen, I respond.”

d
I wait until after confirmation to try and delve deeper? Look into other methods of study?
for the time being continue with this study simply because it has much richness to offer you, even in you can’t use or appreciate it yet. But focus on praying with the scripture you covered each week in your private time. That means simply sitting in silence with the Word of God in your heart. What happens? Maybe not much that you can perceive, but most of the action goes on deep in your soul even in ways you are not aware of, and is God’s work, not yours. With any encounter with scripture–personal reading, a group study, hearing the Mass readings, a daily devotional, no matterhow you hear the Word–there must be a period to reflect, meditate (to chew, digest, allow the Word to become part of you), to contemplate (to listen in silence of mind and heart as God speaks within you), and to pray, to respond to God from the heart. Each night when you come home from the study remain in silence for a while to allow God to work in you through the Word you have received this night.

I find children also are “visual learners” and that is why for instance good, carefully produced videos on selected bible stories are helpful for them. That does not replace proclaiming the Word, and they visual learner must also “learn to listen” which is the hardest skill to teach btw. The method of meditating on scripture that is very helpful for visual learners, and we adapt it to children all the time, but is from St. Ignatius. That briefly is to imagine oneself in the scene, using all the senses and imagination. A good video can help that but as a bridge to learning to do it on your own.
 
Sometimes when a specific verse is pointed out to me or when I read in a deep, prayerful state, I see the richness that the Bible offers to us all.
I would just like to try and offer some encouragement consistent with prior replies. I come from a protestant background and took a course similar to the one you’re describing (if not the same course). I am also an engineer by trade. So, I love and get very excited about bible study, seeing the connections and how everything fits together. But I am very analytical and tend to fall short on the spiritual side of bible reading. Ironically, I struggle with the concepts of contemplative prayer, and praying Scripture (Lectio Divina). This is something I’m working on more fully developing this Lent.

Remember, as you’ve probably learned, that there are both literal and spiritual senses of Scripture. The two must go together…the literal understanding helps with the spiritual understanding…and without the spiritual side, literal study really empties Scripture of its divine purpose.

It seems like the spiritual sense is your strength. Keep working on the literal sense (ie, keep studying) in order that your spiritual understanding can be increased.

Meanwhile, I’m going to keep working on prayer! 🙂

rocketrob
 
I am having a lot of trouble becoming totally engrossed in Bible Study. I am more than halfway through one of the well known programs that is supposed to be amazing, but am just not connecting with the Bible.
(Is it the Great Adventure Bible Timeline? If so, let me say this: I loved it, but not everyone “caught on” as quickly as I did. Hold out to the end… by the time you get to the New Testament, you’ll see things falling into place a bit more easily, and the Bible’s amazing unity and cohesiveness.
Which only saddens me more when I am unable to really get into it (particularly parts of the OT). Sometimes I wonder if it’s because I am somewhat of a visual learner…
Not all of the Bible is thrilling to read, especially many sections of the OT. People who are visual learners might very well be put-off by the dense text.
Has anyone else dealt with biblical dryness (not sure what to call it exactly…)? Should I wait until after confirmation to try and delve deeper? Look into other methods of study?
I would recommend trying more personal prayerful reading of Scripture. The Psalms in particular are good for this.

Also, what types of Biblical texts interest you the most? The epistles of the NT are a very different style from the books of the OT, and they are full of practical moral instruction (rather than sometimes dull or dreary history). Find parts of the Bible that are naturally more interesting to you.
 
I am having a lot of trouble becoming totally engrossed in Bible Study.
You probably do this already, but ask the Holy Spirit to be very near you when you study, that’s what I do.

Also there is Saint Wolbodo (950-1021) patron saint of students.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top