Bill Gates, Worth Nearly $120 Billion, Advocates For Keeping Some Small Businesses Closed

• Thread starter Thread starter gam197
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gam197

“More than 110,000 restaurants have closed permanently or long-term across the country as the industry grapples with the devastating impact of the Covid-19 pandemic,” Bloomberg News reported. “The industry has pleaded for aid, with many pinning their hopes on the Restaurants Act, which would establish a $120 billion fund to help restaurants, as well as a second draw of the Paycheck Protection Program.”

Fear…
He continued, “So, trade-offs will have to be made. But this — the next four to six months really call on us to do our best because we can see that this will end, and you don’t want somebody you love to be the last to die of coronavirus.”
Another wealthy democrat along with democrat Bezos (182 billion) telling us how we should live. Oh wait, they will give back crumbs and gain more power after killing the restaurant industry. and the middle class.through lockdowns.

Last edited:
Did a search on Google and this is what came up - kind of tells it all.(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Another wealthy democrat along with democrat Bezos (182 billion) telling us how we should live.
Everyone , irrespective of income, is free to share their views on what actions may be beneficial to the country.

Last edited:
Everyone , irrespective of income, is free to share their views on what actions may be beneficial to the country.
Yes, but their income level and what they say can be correlated in some instances. This is one of them.

In the early twentieth century, the progressive movement pushed legislation through to ‘protect consumers’. It was framed in a way to push the narrative of big business vs the little guy.

In reality many big businessmen helped push the legislation. As leftist historian with no love for markets Gabriel Kolko showed, in The Triumph of Conservatism, competition from new small businesses were harming the profits of the trusts established at the end of the 19th century. So, to limit competition and ensure monopoly profits, they promoted progressive legislation to tame competition and punish those entities who wouldn’t play by their corporate rules. Upton Sinclair, author of the Jungle, was merely a willing stooge to this line of thinking.

It could be argued the subsequent perversion of capitalism throughout the rest of the century along with massive accumulation of profit and power was the result of those and similar laws and movements. The irony is that leftists now bemoan the very thing their favored legislation helped to produce.

Long story short, I don’t care nor do I trust what Bill Gates has to say, nor do I think he has the best interest of the average American in mind. He’s an oligopolist profiteer.

Is that judgy? Perhaps. But fool me once…

Last edited:
Yes, but their income level and what they say can be correlated in some instances. This is one of them.
Oh, I don’t doubt that. My wife points out something similar to me all the time. Being the frugal person that I am, I dont love in a community that someone of my income level usually would. I’m not rich, but I am above the average income level compared to those around me. My wife points out to me sometimes that my approach to solving problems (both actual and hypothetical) involve options many in the commu ity do not have.
The irony is that leftists now bemoan the very thing their favored legislation helped to produce.
To be fair, people that may be labeled as left leaning now don’t have some causal connection to legislation from the early 20th century.
Long story short, I don’t care nor do I trust what Bill Gates has to say, nor do I think he has the best interest of the average American in mind. He’s an oligopolist profiteer.
I can’t speak on his intentions, but I can understand not trusting his suggestions. Given that he can probably endure a lockdown longer than a typical citizen, he may weigh consequences differently.

Given that he can probably endure a lockdown longer than a typical citizen, he may weigh consequences differently
This is a commonality I see with people pushing for harsher shutdowns…those that have huge bank accounts or guaranteed incomes seem to me to be the loudest advocates.

This is a commonality I see with people pushing for harsher shutdowns…those that have huge bank accounts or guaranteed incomes seem to me to be the loudest advocates.
I think people on general react to their perceived most immediate threat. For some, it is a potentially deadly pathogen being spread. For others, it is not being able to get food and pay for their home. We have inequalities, and thus varied responses.

He’s currently one of the nation’s, if not the world’s, greatest philanthropists. So, yeah.

48.png
StudentMI:
He’s currently one of the nation’s, if not the world’s, greatest philanthropists. So, yeah.
What does he give that he does not take back 100%. He does vaccines for the poor and birth control for the poor all the while telling everyone what good things he does and taking all that money back.

He is richer than ever.

Last edited:
What does he give that he does not take back 100%. He does vaccines for the poor and birth control for the poor all the while telling everyone what good things he does and taking all that money back.
I have no idea what you mean by that statement.

48.png
gam197:
I have no idea what you mean by that statement.
He tells us all what a wonderful person he is doing his vaccines for the poor and giving them birth control.

He has been a money broker for years. He is only gaining in wealth. At one time he was the richest man with 46 billions, now he is worth 120 billion and is not the richest man but still trying to be.
Bezos is the richest man with 182 billion.

Who gained from pandemic if not Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates? Chose to love him but I do not.

Who did not gain from the pandemic - the middle class.

Last edited:
Who gained from pandemic if not Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates? Chose to love him but I do not.

Who did not gain from the pandemic - the middle class.
How does Gates gain in wealth? Doing deals or just because his stock holdings have increased in worth? I think from a quick search that it’s just passive income from stocks and other investments. Can’t blame him for that.

How does Gates gain in wealth? Doing deals or just because his stock holdings have increased in worth? I think from a quick search that it’s just passive income from stocks and other investments. Can’t blame him for that.
He owns Microsoft. You really do believe he cares for the poor. He spends his money on himself.

Here’s how he spends his $129 billion fortune, from a luxury-car collection to incredible real estate​

. Gates has made some lavish purchases over the years, including a Washington estate worth $125 million, a private airplane, and a luxury-car collection. More recently, he dropped $43 million on a 5,800-square-foot home in Del Mar, California. But these indulgences make up only a fraction of his massive fortune, and Gates isn’t known to throw his money around.

Last edited:
He owns Microsoft.
In his current position, he owns shares in Microsoft (1%).But he left the Microsoft board in 2014.

But on the topic of Gates.

Bill Gates is a consistent target of conspiracy theories, many becoming especially heightened amid the coronavirus pandemic. While the tech billionaire remains the target of scorn and suspicion online, others defend Gates, citing his history of charitable contributions.

Gates is a noted philanthropist and has pledged a significant amount of money to research and charitable causes during the coronavirus pandemic. He has given more than $50 billion to charity since 1994. However, his wealth has grown even faster than he has donated money.

As of June 2020, Gates’ net worth was estimated at roughly than $110 billion, according to Forbes.

Since the start of the coronavirus pandemic, the Gates family has pledged billions of dollars in donations and funding for efforts to fight the virus. Some of these efforts have come under scrutiny, both from regulators and conspiracy theorists who assert that Gates has malicious intentions behind the giving.

Like many high net-worth individuals, Gates manages his wealth through an investment and holding company known as Cascade Investment LLC. The company maintains a diverse portfolio of investments and assets that account for more than half of Gates’ wealth.

Gates’ remaining 1% stake in Microsoft as of June is worth more than $7 billion, while the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation maintains over $50 billion in assets that can be counted among the couple’s net worth.

Gates has maintained this fortune both through wealth management as well as investments in the industry that first made him rich: technology. He is not unique among tech billionaires in this way.

There is no conspiracy theory. Bill Gates takes care of Bill Gates. All the rest is Public Relations.

His 66,000 square foot home is worth 125 million.

. (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Last edited:
To quote Slavoj Zizek on George Soros, “he gives back with the left hand what he takes with the right.”

There certainly has been a split in how to handle the virus when it comes to economic matters. In GOP states most small businesses have remained open. In these states measures have been taken to help protect those vulnerable to the virus while also helping those in need of work. I live in Florida. For awhile places were close down, but once the worst was over, and hospitals not over run, businesses have slowly and safely opened back up.

Democrat run states and cities have taken a different approach. They have been following essentially what China did early on, and remain doing so today, shutting down large portions of their economies. Several groups have come out against lock downs such as the WHO, saying they cause more problems than they solve. That concern has largely been ignored in Democrat run states though. Bill Gates is a Democrat so I’m not surprised he is advocating for shutting down more businesses.

I guess it is up to the voters in the future. If Democrat run states want to continue to remain closed because of the virus, feel that no others options are available than to shut down large potions of the economy, then continue to vote as they have in the future. If one wants to see other paths taken in dealing with the virus then different people need to be voted into power.

Last edited:
I guess it is up to the voters in the future. If Democrat run states want to continue to remain closed because of the virus, feel that no others options are available than to shut down large potions of the economy, then continue to vote as they have in the future. If one wants to see other paths taken in dealing with the virus then different people need to be voted into power.
The Democrat States are only interested in control. I do not think the people in them feel that way and that is why many have spoken out. Even as they totally decimate their small businesses and middle class, have no fear because the federal government (you and I) will bail them out.

It is business as usual. The same people stay in power. and look for a higher position .

“Never let a crisis go to waste.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back