Bishops saying we can eat meat on Lenten fridays due to the COVID-19

• Thread starter Thread starter catholicwx
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
HomeschoolDad:
I’ve heard that before, and it struck me as kind of odd. “Back in the day”, did people in the US (and North America in general) have to work harder, and was their work more strenuous, than in Europe and other places? How so?
As I understand it, in large part the difference between land long cleared and more pass farming in Europe and the Mediterranean, and wrestling stumps and rocks in barely cleared and uncleared north America, but I may have the details utterly off.
What is “pass farming”?

. “Back in the day”, did people in the US (and North America in general) have to work harder, and was their work more strenuous, than in Europe and other places? How so?
Visit a few exhibits on the stuff that Catholic immigrant workers were doing in USA at the time, such as coal mining, building railroads, and manufacturing, and it quickly becomes apparent that their work was indeed more strenuous than that of a subsistence farmer or merchant in some village in Europe somewhere.

Basically, subsistence farming and/or other traditional ways people survived in Europe like fishing or gathering herbs or selling your crafts at a market, were not as strenuous and you had more freedom to be your own boss, like choose to do less work on Friday because you didn’t have as much to eat. It also wasn’t very economically rewarding, which is why all these people were moving to the USA and killing themselves with work done for bosses who drove them pretty hard and didn’t give them a lighter day on Friday.

Last edited:
Every Friday of Lent, for the past several decades, Canadian Catholics have every right to eat steak, with a side of burgers, wrapped in bacon. Of course, if you do so, you are expected to perform some other penance in lieu.
Since I live with a non-Catholic who controls the menu, I chose the act of penance: Friday is the day I vacuum the house and clean the bathroom, both chores that I detest but are acts of charity towards my wife who still works (I’m retired).
What? Says who? Where’s your source?
From the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops:

https://www.cccb.ca/site/eng/commis...-english-sector/documents/2319-keeping-friday
In accordance with the prescriptions of canon 1253, the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops decrees that the days of fast and abstinence in Canada are Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Fridays are days of abstinence, but Catholics can substitute special acts of charity or piety on this day.
The Archdiocese of Ottawa on the other hand has kept the traditional meat abstinence on Fridays. It is the archbishop’s prerogative (Most Reverend Terrence Prendergast S.J.). So it works both ways. Being a discipline, the bishop has the prerogative of either enforcing it, or relaxing it.
I was not questioning the Bishop’s rights to dispense but was more curious of if there were certain situations such as certain feasts or non-covid medical situations in normal years or if dispensation Is allowed under every circumstance.
Fasting and abstinence are automatically dispensed if a solemnity falls on a Friday. During Lent that means the Solemnity of St. Joseph, the Annunciation, and any local solemnity for a local patronal saint (diocese, parish).

Last edited:
40.png
HomeschoolDad:
. “Back in the day”, did people in the US (and North America in general) have to work harder, and was their work more strenuous, than in Europe and other places? How so?
Visit a few exhibits on the stuff that Catholic immigrant workers were doing in USA at the time, such as coal mining, building railroads, and manufacturing, and it quickly becomes apparent that their work was indeed more strenuous than that of a subsistence farmer or merchant in some village in Europe somewhere.

Basically, subsistence farming and/or other traditional ways people survived in Europe like fishing or gathering herbs or selling your crafts at a market, were not as strenuous and you had more freedom to be your own boss, like choose to do less work on Friday because you didn’t have as much to eat. It also wasn’t very economically rewarding, which is why all these people were moving to the USA and killing themselves with work done for bosses who drove them pretty hard and didn’t give them a lighter day on Friday.
OK, I’ll buy that. My experience has been that, even to this very day, European life is very gentle and relaxed compared to American life. I was “stuck” in a small village in Poland one time for a couple of weeks, no car, nothing to do except set up my in-laws’ cable and VCR, shop, cook, visit, and take long walks, no Internet. It was very nice. Life even in mid-sized cities is very laid back as well. Even Paris wasn’t crazy insane the way it is here.

What rubbish…any bishop who says that needs to read a BASIC Catechism.

In accordance with the prescriptions of canon 1253, the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops decrees that the days of fast and abstinence in Canada are Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Fridays are days of abstinence, but Catholics can substitute special acts of charity or piety on this day.
Aha, I’m in the NCR, so that would explain it.

Jesus gave the disciples the power to bind and to loose. That authority was passed down to all of the bishops through apostolic succession. Therefore, they have the authority to dispense us from obligations if they feel it is justified.

If canned fish is in short supply, there is always that Hawaiian delicacy - Spam.

I hear it is more edible than the kind found on the internet. And according to some, “more” is the operative term. 🤣

What we are seeing currently is that any bishop can pretty much do anything.
What you are seeing is the bishops exercising the authority they have had since the time of Christ. No one is forcing anyone to give up fasting. It is permission, about a discipline - not a doctrine. That comment is undignified of anyone who respects the office of bishop.

What that can quickly begin to look like is classical Protestantism. Each individual bishop and each diocese can have their own differences and changes which begin to make the Universal Church look like several smaller denominations.
It hasn’t happened so far; the realization of the rule comes from the bishop conference, not a diocese by diocese decision.

I realize you note yourself a convert; perhaps you might want to read more about the Church. Decisions are far more deliberate than you seem to presume. The issue of fasting is by what is called discipline, which are rules the Church can impose of remove, or modify. Fasting is still the general rule; a relaxation of that rule certainly does not make the Church look like a Protestant denomination.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back