Black Jesus TV series

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kount_C
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s no outcry because the actors are black. Any fuss that is made by someone will be construed as racist.

Race trumps Christ in this instance.
Ugh, it is so tough being white in the U.S. these days. This oppression is practically unbearable.
 
I watch adult swim sometimes at night, and when I saw this commercial, I was utterly shocked. I realized how much this world has forgotten God. I’m honestly surprised more people haven’t spoken out against this blasphemy.
And I find it especially offensive to the african american community.
I would think that african american christians would be outraged.
I watched a trailer the other night. I kept hearing about Black Jesus and I had no idea what it was. Needless to say I was shocked. I won’t be watching it.
 
I watch adult swim sometimes at night, and when I saw this commercial, I was utterly shocked. I realized how much this world has forgotten God. I’m honestly surprised more people haven’t spoken out against this blasphemy.
And I find it especially offensive to the african american community.
I would think that african american christians would be outraged.
I watched a trailer the other night. I kept hearing about Black Jesus and I had no idea what it was. Needless to say I was shocked. I won’t be watching it.
 
I watched the first episode.

I was a fan of the first season of the Boondocks, even though a lot of what McGruder did was really heavy-handed. The show took a turn for the worst afterwards.

One thing that is interesting about this show is that it’s not clear whether or not “Jesus” is in fact the Son of God, returned to Compton in 2014. The trailer for the season suggests that some characters (the landlord played by Charlie Murphy, and an older black woman who insists that “Jesus was white”) think that this character is nothing more than a dangerous charlatan who is forming a new cult. It will make for interesting social commentary, if it’s done well enough.

Jesus does swear, but not often. I look at it as speaking in the language of the people around him, who swear pretty much every sentence.

He does smoke marijuana, but it’s a part of his larger “hippy” project of creating a local garden with vegetables and “herbs.” Also, he turns water into wine at a party, but then refuses to give it to the others because he’s upset that he needs to perform miracles like that to get his attention.

Jesus does participate in a drug deal. The deal goes bad and Jesus’s crew ends up with both the drugs and the money, but Jesus gives the money back to the dealers.

When his friend is in trouble with the police, he does fabricate an alibi using his “magic.” That’s a little dishonest but I suppose Jesus is trying to take the fall for his friend? I dunno, that’s pretty grey to me.

In general, this Jesus espouses the same message as the historical Jesus, although adapted for this new audience and slightly tweaked for the sake of “humor” (which I don’t find necessary). He talks about peace, love, understanding, getting right with God, and the importance of maintaining one’s integrity. It is a bit upsetting that he gets mad at people and tells them “I love you by default” as a reassurance.

Overall, I think the show could serve as a good social commentary on how people perceive Jesus nowadays, and a very flawed glance at what it might be like if He walked among us now in one of the most violent and poverty-stricken cities in the world. I would not recommend it for “spiritual enlightenment” and it’s certainly not for children. But it’s not the worst thing television can do.

Who knows, maybe it will get people searching for the real Jesus?
 
I once met an African-American Christian Brother who would truly go on that Jesus may have been in fact black and would point to an old mural. Not only that, we know the Ethiopian Church has been around basically since the oldest of times. Okay, maybe Jesus being portrayed as black in murals, etc. is similar to our seeing Jesus as in the Divine Mercy however, Christ created us all and I basically think there is no limitation on how He looked because He has appeared countless times since He ascended to heaven.

I’d almost would wonder and may search it out later, as to the reaction by African-American Christians to this show. I would think many would not be content with the portrayal.
 
Jesus does not seem to treat his body as a temple in this show and if he does curse and lose his temper a lot - I would not consider that a Christ like spirit.

I would think African Americans would want a Black Jesus portrayed as someone who has respect for themselves.
 
Jesus does not seem to treat his body as a temple in this show and if he does curse and lose his temper a lot - I would not consider that a Christ like spirit.

I would think African Americans would want a Black Jesus portrayed as someone who has respect for themselves.
A few excerpts so this is by no means an opinion that stands out above all others, still:
Pastor Brandon Lacy from Shreveport, Louisiana, said the “Black Jesus” trailer is particularly offensive to African-Americans.
“If that seed is continued to be planted in the lives of our people and we feel it’s OK to reject Jesus, then we are in trouble as a community,” Lacy told KTBS, Shreveport.
So, all races relate to Jesus, I guess it really doesn’t matter what color one is, it is more of the context of the show that is important. The way most people, most Christians, dislike say “The Last Temptation”.
 
Jesus does not seem to treat his body as a temple in this show and if he does curse and lose his temper a lot - I would not consider that a Christ like spirit.
I would think so too, but what about the way he handled the moneychangers in the temple? Would that not be considered as a loss of temper?
 
I would think so too, but what about the way he handled the moneychangers in the temple? Would that not be considered as a loss of temper?
Yes but that is only one incident. I haven’t seen the show but it seems the Black Jesus does not hold back on his temper.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top