Blasphemous thoughts

  • Thread starter Thread starter mymamamary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mymamamary

Guest
Dear forum

We were/are driving to the Shrine of the Most BLESSED SACRAMENT, and we were praying the Rosary. For some stupid reason I get irritated when we pray the Rosary together, although I LOVE to pray it alone. Anyway, We started the Glorious mysteries, and we had already prayed the Glorious, so I wanted to pray the Sorrowful Mysteries as the Sorrowful mysteries are my favorite. Mom was irritating me though and I had a really bad thought pop into my mind concering that we had already prayed these Mysteries. As soon As I had them I seized up in horror and Said in my mind “JESUS I trust in YOU”. I tried to get rid of the thought and I dont think I liked it.

Is this a mortal sin??

Or is this my scrupulator acting up again??

I’ve been to Confession back to back days (Something I shouldnt do, its not healthy for me) and Do I have to go again??
 
Sounds like rather an act of virtue.

Make sure you have a regular confessor to attend to your scruples.
 
(from previous posts of mine)

Regarding unwanted thoughts

What should we do with* unwanted* thoughts or other “bad thoughts”…thoughts against God etc? Those pesky temptations that can come …even though we are not seeking them or doing anything to bring them etc…

Are they mortal sins?

For a mortal sin one needs a grave matter …full knowledge AND deliberate consent!!!

A. If you do not want the thought…it the thought displeases you: it can be a sign actually that you did not give any consent or do not give full consent.

B. Even if you felt a temptation for the thought – and were drawn to it involuntarily —but rejected it and maybe even turned right to God : again a sign not full consent (if there was any).

C. But what if one has a tempting thought --say of a sexual nature and even hesitated for a moment…but then rejected it for one did not want to sin?: it can be partial consent perhaps (and thus a venial sin)-- or it may be no sin at all but rather a strong temptation that drew you but then you saw what was happening and turned away.

D. A temptation can even be very strong or the thoughts very often – but this does NOT mean one has consented!

Remember --for it to be mortal there must be that deliberate consent!

What to do? on the spiritual side–relax first of all and remember the above.

Next – know that the more one fears the thoughts the more likely they are to come… or said another way --the more a person stress about seeking to avoid the thoughts the more likely he will have a problem with them.

for example: for the next 10 seconds try NOT to think of an apple.

tick tock …

tick tock…

Ok what did you think of?

Most likely an apple.

So it is best to ignore them and just not consent and then turn your attention to some other good thing…for instance whatever you are doing.
Simply do not consent and move on…

Another point – thoughts can just happen --they are the stuff with which we think…it is up to us to consent and take them further or not. And just because they are REAL VIVID and almost “think themselves” does not mean per se that one has given ANY consent.

They can be annoying…but need cause no actual harm …

(Now difficulties with thoughts can happen to anyone…and has for centuries…nothing new!..but I will note too that “some” have a condition known as OCD (I knew someone with this once…it was a painful experience)…and thus should seek further professional help to work at overcoming it and to live a more peaceful life…)

(also some suffer from scrupulosity and ought to have a* regular confessor*)

Another help…is the distinction of “first thoughts and emotions” (as Baur calls em) what they call the prima of the prima…“the first of the first” (as one of my Professors called em…he was a Dominican)…these are the first involuntary things that just come up…such are not sins. They can tempt one of course to sin…or one can then proceed to some sin…but they are the stuff of the mind and emotions which “happen to one” …and really the are opportunities for growing in virtue etc as well…

How to deal with these? First of relax…don’t scruple…don’t fear them…to try to swat them all as the come…just simply turn to other things…or the thing you are doing…or to God…(of course do not consent)…but if you are too defensive against them…they may get worse actually…and confuse you more…instead turn to God or again other good things…accept that hey…somethings wild thoughts will come to you…

(and these can happen to all of us by the way…)

There is a story from the desert of the early Centuries of the Church where a younger hermit when to an older one with the problems of thoughts happening to him all the time…the older hermit told him to go outside open his cloak and catch the wind.

The younger hermit said such is not possible…

the older hermit replied --neither is it possible to stop all the thoughts that can come to you…your choice… is to consent or not…
 
Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI
  1. When does one commit a mortal sin?
1855-1861
1874

One commits a mortal sin when there are simultaneously present: grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent. This sin destroys charity in us, deprives us of sanctifying grace, and, if unrepented, leads us to the eternal death of hell. It can be forgiven in the ordinary way by means of the sacraments of Baptism and of Penance or Reconciliation.
  1. When does one commit a venial sin?
1862-1864
1875

One commits a venial sin, which is essentially different from a mortal sin, when the matter involved is less serious or, even if it is grave, when full knowledge or complete consent are absent. Venial sin does not break the covenant with God but it weakens charity and manifests a disordered affection for created goods. It impedes the progress of a soul in the exercise of the virtues and in the practice of moral good. It merits temporal punishment which purifies.
 
Jesus Divine Mercy to St. Faustina.

1641 At adoration during the Forty-Hours’ Devotion, the Lord said to me, My daughter, write that involuntary offenses of souls do not hinder My love for them or prevent Me from uniting Myself with them. But voluntary offenses, even the smallest, obstruct My graces, and I cannot lavish My gifts on such souls.
 
Dear forum

We were/are driving to the Shrine of the Most BLESSED SACRAMENT, and we were praying the Rosary. For some stupid reason I get irritated when we pray the Rosary together, although I LOVE to pray it alone. Anyway, We started the Glorious mysteries, and we had already prayed the Glorious, so I wanted to pray the Sorrowful Mysteries as the Sorrowful mysteries are my favorite. Mom was irritating me though and I had a really bad thought pop into my mind concering that we had already prayed these Mysteries. As soon As I had them I seized up in horror and Said in my mind “JESUS I trust in YOU”. I tried to get rid of the thought and I dont think I liked it.

Is this a mortal sin??

Or is this my scrupulator acting up again??

I’ve been to Confession back to back days (Something I shouldnt do, its not healthy for me) and Do I have to go again??
No

Yes

No

but I’m only some pixels on a computer screen

do you have a spiritual director yet?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top