Blessed items and relics

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kullervo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I’ve too found some very cheap ones, but you still have to buy it to get the benefits from the blessing of it. I just feel like there should be a way to have the benefits without actually having to buy anything.
If you object to buying a rosary you can make one yourself and ask a priest to bless it.
 
I’m not saying the medals should be for free, I’m saying the benefits from having a blessed medal should be free, which I think they are not since you need to buy a medal to have those benefits.
Yeah but the medal is made from something that has cost (stainless steel or whatever). Shouldn’t the owner be remunerated for that part? Someone paid for it.
 
Yeah that’s true, but my problem is why is the blessing and the benefits that go with it attached to a think that n the first place.

I think I have resolved it: This problem isn’t just exclusive to blessed items. People that have more money have in many areas more acces to Gods gifts. (For example: They can go on pilgrimages to Rome or buy a Bible which people in poorer parts of the world can’t). Therefore if this is something God permits why wouldn’t he permit that blessings that are attached to material objects.
 
Maybe you problem then is your perceived idea of what blessings are.
 
I think I have resolved it: This problem isn’t just exclusive to blessed items. People that have more money have in many areas more acces to Gods gifts. (For example: They can go on pilgrimages to Rome or buy a Bible which people in poorer parts of the world can’t). Therefore if this is something God permits why wouldn’t he permit that blessings that are attached to material objects.
I disagree. Of course you can buy a fancy bible with leather trim and parchment, but there are also cheap bibles that cost no more than a novel. You can even go into thrift stores and get used bibles for small change. Some people will even give away bibles for free. Maybe ask your priest. I don’t believe that there is anybody who genuinely wants a bible who can’t get one because they are poor.

Same with pilgrimages. It’s nice to go to Jerusalem or Rome of course. But there are shrines and holy places all over the world. Probably within walking distance even,. Many of these places are actually better to pray in than the famous places because they are quite calm and you don’t get overpriced hotels or trinket sellers or tourists taking photographs all over the place.
 
Last edited:
A rosary can be made from a knotted piece of yarn or twine. Your parish will give you a rosary at no cost.
 
Yeah that’s true, but my problem is why is the blessing and the benefits that go with it attached to a think that n the first place.
a blessed object doesn’t act like a magic charm. A blessed medal isn’t going to ward off evil spirits. When an object is blessed it is made a holy object to be used in holy acts such as praying.

A poor person can make a cross from two sticks have it blessed and have access to the same blessings as someone who wears a blessed pectoral cross made of gold and precious gems.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top