Blessed J. H. Newman - Recommend a Book

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thaladan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thaladan

Guest
I have not read any of Blessed John Henry Newman’s works before, but am interested in doing so. Could anyone recommend a good place to start?

Thanks. 🙂
 
I really enjoyed his Return of the Prodigal Son. It was nicely based on Rembrant’s painting of the same name and his reflections on the painting. Good stuff!
 
I have not read any of Blessed John Henry Newman’s works before, but am interested in doing so. Could anyone recommend a good place to start?

Thanks. 🙂
The three books of his that I most often hear recommended are Development of Christian Doctrine, Apologia Pro Vita Sua, and Grammar of Assent.

I have listened to his book Development of Christian Doctrine via audio. I thought it was good, very historical and scholarly, but some of it was, I think, a bit over my head. I recommend it if you think you can handle some way-up-there stuff.

I think Apologia Pro Vita Sua is supposed to defend his conversion story from some people who attacked him as hypocritical and intellectually dishonest. I’ll bet it is much easier to read than Development of Christian Doctrine.

I’ve never read his book Grammar of Assent, but I’ve heard it recommended by lots of people who I trust.

I hope that helps. God bless!
 
Apologia Pro Vita Sua.

Beautiful book in which Blessed Newman defends who his beliefs evolved from High Church Anglican to Roman Catholic.

It helped me dispel a lot of myths I held on the Catholic Church and helped remove all stumbling blocks to converting.
 
I don’t know if this is what the OP had in mind, but Take Five! by Mike Aquilina and Kris Stubna is a pocket guide to John Henry Newman’s thoughts and writings, available form Our Sunday Visitor (who publish good Catholic literature overall). Should be available on Amazon.

I have the one for St. Ignatius Loyola which I carry in my briefcase, and it’s god to pull out when you are in need of an inspirational thought.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top