Blue Exorcist

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheLiberator
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheLiberator

Guest
Is anyone familiar with this anime series?

It’s essentially the story of a young boy who attends an academy where students are trained to fight demons. The twist, however, is that this boy (named Rin) and his brother are both sons of Satan. (I guess that would make them semi-demons, since their mother was a mortal.) Anyway, they are taken in by a group of monks, and the story revolves around their quest to protect the Vatican from Satan’s attempts to take over the world. There’s lots of imagery which is fantastical (not biblical), but I’d still say that it’s a pretty faith-friendly show. (God does not make an appearance, however, nor is He ever mentioned. Keep in mind that this is a Japanese program.)

One thing that sticks with me is the fact that the show has an inadvertently pro-life angle to it. Despite being the son of Satan, Rin is a loving, compassionate individual, even when he is subjected to persecution by his classmates. (Unlike his brother, Rin has demonic teeth, ears, and a tail, as well as special powers.) And when the news breaks that his mother is pregnant with the son of Satan, the one character who suggests that he be killed turns out to be the major bad guy. The show demonstrates that it is our character which defines who we are, rather than who our parents are.

What do you guys think?
 
I know about it when searching for good manga. But the fact that they paint the son of Satan as a good guy is abominable and disgusting to my ears and eyes. I was not interested.There are better works of art than that, you know.
 
Its pretty good series, but about halfway through it gives the impression that Satan isn’t really evil, he is just misunderstood. I cant stand that part.
 
Why should a person be judged based on who their father is if they’re a good person in and of themselves?

And I agree about the “twist” which reveals Satan to simply be misunderstood. Based on my understanding, the manga does not feature that plot element, though.
 
Put a new twist to this show, a nutty satan step son running amok with a green spray can
Painting all the blue figures,sounds like a top seller,
 
Yeah, I watched. It’s really good. I don’t really think they believe in an actual Satan so they made him look like he’s misunderstood just as they do to many other antagonists.
By the way, I need to give you a suggestion:
Kuroshitsuji is epic. Sadly, it is not christian friendly, to call it this way. It’s about a young boy whose family was killed and he got kidnapped by some people that tortured him. That’s where he makes a contract with this demon he names Sebastian. The anime and manga has a lot of emotional moments and great for philosophy, seeing their reactions and all this…well I’m just going to spoil it in case anyone is curious to watch the anime or read the manga. You might like it ,give it a try, don’t limit yourself to christian friendly anime, the manga is really epic (the anime not so, but ok I guess). Especially the way Sebastian manipulates people like puppets and Ciel (the protagonist) is slowly losing himself in madness writing inspiration comes.
 
Is anyone familiar with this anime series?

It’s essentially the story of a young boy who attends an academy where students are trained to fight demons. The twist, however, is that this boy (named Rin) and his brother are both sons of Satan. (I guess that would make them semi-demons, since their mother was a mortal.) Anyway, they are taken in by a group of monks, and the story revolves around their quest to protect the Vatican from Satan’s attempts to take over the world. There’s lots of imagery which is fantastical (not biblical), but I’d still say that it’s a pretty faith-friendly show. (God does not make an appearance, however, nor is He ever mentioned. Keep in mind that this is a Japanese program.)

One thing that sticks with me is the fact that the show has an inadvertently pro-life angle to it. Despite being the son of Satan, Rin is a loving, compassionate individual, even when he is subjected to persecution by his classmates. (Unlike his brother, Rin has demonic teeth, ears, and a tail, as well as special powers.) And when the news breaks that his mother is pregnant with the son of Satan, the one character who suggests that he be killed turns out to be the major bad guy. The show demonstrates that it is our character which defines who we are, rather than who our parents are.

What do you guys think?
I’d like to watch this for a bit of fun! Do you have a link from Youtube or somewhere, where I can view the film, please?
 
I used to be heavily into anime, and I used to rationalize it and attempt to fit it into a Christian box, but I could never really square it, and couldn’t put my finger on why I always thought I was doing something naughty, even when the stuff was ostensibly innocent. This blog writer finally nailed it for me: thwordinc.blogspot.com/2013/12/where-evil-takes-us.html
 
Is anyone familiar with this anime series?

It’s essentially the story of a young boy who attends an academy where students are trained to fight demons. The twist, however, is that this boy (named Rin) and his brother are both sons of Satan. (I guess that would make them semi-demons, since their mother was a mortal.) Anyway, they are taken in by a group of monks, and the story revolves around their quest to protect the Vatican from Satan’s attempts to take over the world. There’s lots of imagery which is fantastical (not biblical), but I’d still say that it’s a pretty faith-friendly show. (God does not make an appearance, however, nor is He ever mentioned. Keep in mind that this is a Japanese program.)

One thing that sticks with me is the fact that the show has an inadvertently pro-life angle to it. Despite being the son of Satan, Rin is a loving, compassionate individual, even when he is subjected to persecution by his classmates. (Unlike his brother, Rin has demonic teeth, ears, and a tail, as well as special powers.) And when the news breaks that his mother is pregnant with the son of Satan, the one character who suggests that he be killed turns out to be the major bad guy. The show demonstrates that it is our character which defines who we are, rather than who our parents are.

What do you guys think?
Yeah, Blue Exorcist is one of my favourite anime, and I believe it is the reason I’m a Catholic today; In a way, it introduced me to Catholicism (a rather different type, though)👍
 
I used to be heavily into anime, and I used to rationalize it and attempt to fit it into a Christian box, but I could never really square it, and couldn’t put my finger on why I always thought I was doing something naughty, even when the stuff was ostensibly innocent. This blog writer finally nailed it for me: thwordinc.blogspot.com/2013/12/where-evil-takes-us.html
A lot of anime is dreadful, some is great, and others are just brilliant. But anime fans, as well as the online anime community, are simply intolerable. I tend to stay away from them.

You can have intelligent conversations about books, movies, and even music on the Internet (if you look hard enough), but that’s not often the case with anime.
 
It’s a TV series. I know that it’s available subbed on Netflix Instant.
Thank you! I’m not about to be into Anime but I liked the idea of the story which you explained at the start of your thread. Good versus evil and that sort of stuff. I’ll check it out and hopefully watch it and watch the whole series in one go 🙂
 
Thank you! I’m not about to be into Anime but I liked the idea of the story which the OP explained. Good versus evil and that sort of stuff. I’ll check it out and hopefully watch it and watch the whole series in one go 🙂
As far as anime shows go, it’s…okay. It had a lot more potential than it ended up demonstrating. The ending is really rushed, and there is a lot of fan service which is unnecessary. It has themes Catholics can relate to, but…I wouldn’t say it’s a particularly Catholic show.
 
Good versus evil and that sort of stuff.
There’s a lot of animes out there like that. :p:D
A lot of anime is dreadful, some is great, and others are just brilliant. But anime fans, as well as the online anime community, are simply intolerable. I tend to stay away from them.

You can have intelligent conversations about books, movies, and even music on the Internet (if you look hard enough), but that’s not often the case with anime.
I used to post a lot on the CR (crunchyroll) forums (I have over 2000+ posts there), and I’ve had some great conversations with people there. Just depends which members are posting, since some of the members there (like in any forum) post nonsensical/indecent stuff, but there are others that love a good and intelligent debate or conversation.
 
I’m familiar with CR, although I would definitely like to watch a lot more anime before commenting there…if I ever do. I dunno.

I’m pretty certain my borderline militant hatred of One Piece would make me very unpopular there. (I really like the concept of the show, but it is utterly wasted beneath a mountain of bad jokes, poor characterization, cliches, terrible storytelling, horrible fan service, and constant bickering between the leads.)
 
As far as anime shows go, it’s…okay. It had a lot more potential than it ended up demonstrating. The ending is really rushed, and there is a lot of fan service which is unnecessary. It has themes Catholics can relate to, but…I wouldn’t say it’s a particularly Catholic show.
It’s okay, I’ll keep things in perspective and take with a pinch of salt. 🙂 I like comic stuff that isn’t Catholic per say even though I am a Catholic. And not in danger of being miseducated or misled. Good vs evil things always are a bit of harmless fun although I have stopped watching vampire films as I began to believe that some themes are not good to invite. But cartoons I can never take too seriously anyway. I like some Batman comic books for example, that deal with psychology on some level, but it doesn’t affect my own understanding of right or wrong. 👍
 
There’s a lot of animes out there like that. :p:D
I’ll try this one first! I love, almost adore, Studio Gibli, by the way; although it is very different in one way, both this and anime are Eastern-rooted forms of storytelling as opposed to western-rooted ideas so there may be similarities which crossover that I like in the script. But after this Blue Exorcist I’ll probably stick to Gibli - back to the tame stuff! 🙂
 
I’m familiar with CR, although I would definitely like to watch a lot more anime before commenting there…if I ever do. I dunno.

I’m pretty certain my borderline militant hatred of One Piece would make me very unpopular there. (I really like the concept of the show, but it is utterly wasted beneath a mountain of bad jokes, poor characterization, cliches, terrible storytelling, horrible fan service, and constant bickering between the leads.)
You shouldn’t post on any forum to become popular, so I wouldn’t even worry about not liking One Piece or any other show. That said, I know the community pretty well there, including the mods, and I don’t think u would be hated by the majority of the posters there as long as u can express your opinions charitably. Like in any forum (especially here on CAF), being charitable in how u express yourself is key. I mean, on my profile there, it’s pretty obvious that I’m a practicing Catholic. I even have the Virgin Mary as my avatar! Yet, I generally have never gotten much heat from any of the members there (except during some of the debates like abortion ^.^). Instead, I’ve befriended a lot of them and have had great conversations with many of them. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top