F
fin
Guest
I saw it a while ago on tv and wasn’t able to start it. Why are the priests wearing purple and blue vestments? I thought green was for ordinary time? Thanks in advance…
Just because it’s ordinary time doesn’t mean that the liturgical color for each Mass is green. There are a number of feast days, for example, that fall in ordinary time and they might have colors specified as red or white. All the funerals in ordinary time will use white or black vestments, etc.I saw it a while ago on tv and wasn’t able to start it. Why are the priests wearing purple and blue vestments? I thought green was for ordinary time? Thanks in advance…
It is in fact, a Mass of Reperation for the sins of abortion. That is why the color purple is used. In fact, if you look at a Catholic liturgical calendar, there are three color choices today, Green, Red (Optional Memorial of St. Vincent, Martyr) and Purple (Mass of Reperation).Just because it’s ordinary time doesn’t mean that the liturgical color for each Mass is green. There are a number of feast days, for example, that fall in ordinary time and they might have colors specified as red or white. All the funerals in ordinary time will use white or black vestments, etc.
I don’t know what BNSIC means but it’s possible it was a Mass of reparation, in which case purple would probably be the correct color. If there were many priests you probably saw a mix of “Lenten” Purple and “Advent” Purple the latter being more bluish. Blue is not a liturgical color for any season in the Catholic Church (at least in the US).
The photo shows the celebrants in green. I wondered about that, in that the festival was that of a martyr, St. Agnes. We Anglicans use red for martyrs. Don’t you Romans do that any more?If you saw it a while ago maybe it wasn’t ordinary time when it was filmed?
If the priests were wearing purple it is possible that it looks blue on television. There are certain shades of purple that the camera “changes” to blue.
You can also wear purple for a funeral. That is what I would like the celebrant to wear for mine, if he does not have black vestments.Just because it’s ordinary time doesn’t mean that the liturgical color for each Mass is green. There are a number of feast days, for example, that fall in ordinary time and they might have colors specified as red or white. All the funerals in ordinary time will use white or black vestments, etc.
I don’t know what BNSIC means but it’s possible it was a Mass of reparation, in which case purple would probably be the correct color. If there were many priests you probably saw a mix of “Lenten” Purple and “Advent” Purple the latter being more bluish. Blue is not a liturgical color for any season in the Catholic Church (at least in the US).
Well…yes, we do, but the photo you linked to is not the Mass in question. That photo was taken around November 18th or 19th during a Mass to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the dedication of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.The photo shows the celebrants in green. I wondered about that, in that the festival was that of a martyr, St. Agnes. We Anglicans use red for martyrs. Don’t you Romans do that any more?
Sorry if that is so. I picked it up off of Whispers in the Loggia. I assumed that since the preacher made such a point of this mass coinciding with St. Agnes’ day, that it was indeed that day. I did not check the Roman Catholic calendar before asking the question.Well…yes, we do, but the photo you linked to is not the Mass in question. That photo was taken around November 18th or 19th during a Mass to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the dedication of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.
Yes.I still ask, don’t Roman Catholic churches use red vestments for days commemorating martyrs?
Ah!! I see what has happened! I think Whispers in the Loggia has begun treating that photo as sort of a stock photo for the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. You can see the same photo on November 19, 2009.Sorry if that is so. I picked it up off of Whispers in the Loggia. I assumed that since the preacher made such a point of this mass coinciding with St. Agnes’ day, that it was indeed that day. I did not check the Roman Catholic calendar before asking the question.
I still ask, don’t Roman Catholic churches use red vestments for days commemorating martyrs?