Bob Jones III to Retire from BJU

• Thread starter Thread starter AsStAnselmPrays
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AsStAnselmPrays

GREENVILLE, S.C.(AP) Bob Jones III said Thursday he will retire as president of the fundamentalist Christian university that bears his name and his son will take over.

Jones, whose grandfather founded Bob Jones University 78 years ago, has been president for 34 of his 65 years.

The school has grabbed headlines over the years for its involvement in conservative politics and its racial policies.

In February 2000, then presidential candidate George W. Bush spoke at Bob Jones University during his campaign. He was criticized for the visit because at the time, the school banned interracial dating.

The policy has since been dropped.

When Jones retires, following the school’s graduation ceremonies in May, he will be replaced by the Rev. Stephen Jones, who has served as vice president for administration.

“The opportunity to step into the role occupied by my father, grandfather and great-grandfather is overwhelming,” Stephen Jones, 35, said. “I am eager for the days that lie ahead for Bob Jones University and believe that the Lord has wonderful things in store for us as we remain faithful to his word.”

In a congratulatory letter after Bush won re-election in November, Jones III wrote: “In your re-election, God has graciously granted America _ though she doesn’t deserve it _ a reprieve from the agenda of paganism.”

“You have been given a mandate. … Put your agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they despise your Christ,” said the letter, dated Nov. 3.​

For 4 1/2 years, I went to a Protestant school, under a BJU cirriculum. I was taught that Catholics are pagans and that we are going to hell. I was told that the Vatican is the home of the antichrist and that the Pope’s impose Satan’s will. I was told that the Vatican misleads all Catholics into trusting Satan, and that God works miracles when a Catholic converts to Protestantism. I was told that the antichrist’s one world government and religion is actually the Vatican’s plans for Eucemism (spelled right, I think…). All of this while BJ III was controlling the presses.

I have family in Greenville, and I go there every year. That entire city is Bob Jones -ized. There is a Protestant church almost every few hundred feet. I’ve heard outrageous things about that place, and they scare the living daylights out of me.

First of all, if you analyze the segments of the letter that was given to Pres. Bush, you can get a few things out of it:
  1. Bob Jones was saying that America doesn’t deserve God’s grace
    …and that…
  2. John Kerry’s “religion,” Catholicism, was called paganistic
THAT IS HORRIBLE! And the University is still around??? Give me a break!

Now, I’m not a John Kerry fan, and even though I doubt his faith in Catholicism, the comment was still aimed at Catholics. That makes me sick that he can get away with this. It’s horrible, and BJU needs to be stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back