Book of Exodus

  • Thread starter Thread starter redrosetea
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

redrosetea

Guest
At my scripture class today one of my non Catholic students, who is Anglican ,and rather nontraditional in her views, told us that during the Exodus the Jews farmed for 10 years

I didn’t want to start anything we quickly changed the subject…I haven’t been able to find any basis or evidence scripturally for this view…Am I looking in the wrong place?

I thought for 40 years they wandered in the desert…Am I wrong? I haven’t read any farming accounts till they crossed into the promised land
 
That’s a new one for me too. Although, now that I think of it, I suppose they must have done some sort of farming in order to support themselves. (However, I doubt the time period would have been something as specific as 10 years.)

Also, keep in mind that the Exodus included the twelve tribes of Israel, not just the house of Judah. So it wouldn’t have been just the Jews, but all the Israelites.

And I wouldn’t take the numbers literally anyhow. In the Near East, people use the number 40 as a metaphor for “many”. For example, Ali Baba and the forty thieves, during Noah’s time it rained for forty days, Jesus fasted for forty days, the tribes of Israel wandered in the desert for forty years, etc.
 
At my scripture class today one of my non Catholic students, who is Anglican ,and rather nontraditional in her views, told us that during the Exodus the Jews farmed for 10 years

I didn’t want to start anything we quickly changed the subject…I haven’t been able to find any basis or evidence scripturally for this view…Am I looking in the wrong place?

I thought for 40 years they wandered in the desert…Am I wrong? I haven’t read any farming accounts till they crossed into the promised land
They did wander the desert but when they left Egypt did they have livestock also… ? I know that the word says God sustained them in the Desert for 40 years… by what means? - manner from heaven, sweetened wood in the waters for drink… and their livestock which they had… I think… this could be called “farming” but…

Im not sure how you would farm desert land… ? That’s the whole point of being in a desert the land is unfarmable lol But if unsure ask a Priest, or the Magisterium

xx
 
Note that they took their livestock with them from Egypt - Exodus 12:31=32
31 And he summoned Moses and Aaron by night, and said, “Rise up, go forth from among my people, both you and the people of Israel; and go, serve the LORD, as you have said. 32 Take your flocks and your herds, as you have said, and be gone; and bless me also!”
Also, they needed the livestock for the sacrifices later prescribed for them, e.g. Exodus 24:5
5 And he sent young men of the people of Israel, who offered burnt offerings and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen to the LORD
On the other hand they were frequently and erratically on the move. Exodus 40:34-38
34* Then the cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle. 35 And Moses was not able to enter the tent of meeting, because the cloud abode upon it, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle. 36 Throughout all their journeys, whenever the cloud was taken up from over the tabernacle, the people of Israel would go onward; 37 but if the cloud was not taken up, then they did not go onward till the day that it was taken up. 38 For throughout all their journeys the cloud of the LORD was upon the tabernacle by day, and fire was in it by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel.
so agrarian farming would not have been possible.
 
Hi all,
The Israelites certainly treasured their animals:
‘(9) If a man entrusts to his neighbour his donkey, cow, sheep or other animal, and the animal dies or is injured, or is carried off without being eaten, (10) an oath before Yahweh shall prove that the man has not stolen the other’s property. The owner of the animal shall accept the oath and the other shall not make restitution. (11) But if the animal has been stolen from him, restitution shall be made. (12) If the animal was killed by wild beasts, the man must bring the remains as evidence but shall not pay anything. (13) When a man borrows an animal from his neighbour and the animal is injured or dies when the owner is not present, the man who borrowed must pay for it.’
(Exodus 22:9 - 13).
God Bless,
Colmcille.
 
At my scripture class today one of my non Catholic students, who is Anglican ,and rather nontraditional in her views, told us that during the Exodus the Jews farmed for 10 years

I didn’t want to start anything we quickly changed the subject…I haven’t been able to find any basis or evidence scripturally for this view…Am I looking in the wrong place?

I thought for 40 years they wandered in the desert…Am I wrong? I haven’t read any farming accounts till they crossed into the promised land
There’s nothing in the book of Exodus to suggest such, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. We don’t know.
 
Since the Book of Exodus does not mention this alleged 10 years of farming by the Israelites, there’s no way of knowing what she was talking about unless you ask her. I did a quick Google search and didn’t find anything about it. The burden of proof, however, is squarely on someone who makes such a questionable assertion.

In RE classes and Bible studies that I teach when outlandish things like this are brought up that I’ve never heard, I immediately (but gently) ask the person where they heard it (to just leave it hanging without comment is a dis-service to her and other students who may be left with the impression there is something to these allegations). Usually, stuff like this is from some History Channel-type pseudo-documentary, something the person read in a fringe website or book, something they heard in casual conversation, or similar unreliable source. Next time it would be a good idea to ask.
 
At my scripture class today one of my non Catholic students, who is Anglican ,and rather nontraditional in her views, told us that during the Exodus the Jews farmed for 10 years

I didn’t want to start anything we quickly changed the subject…I haven’t been able to find any basis or evidence scripturally for this view…Am I looking in the wrong place?

I thought for 40 years they wandered in the desert…Am I wrong? I haven’t read any farming accounts till they crossed into the promised land
I don’t think the Exodus account necessarily rules it out - but it doesn’t support it either. Assuming she has any support for the idea, she must be relying on some extra-biblical source. There are non-scriptural Jewish traditions, but I don’t know if they would support the idea or not.
 
Since the Book of Exodus does not mention this alleged 10 years of farming by the Israelites, there’s no way of knowing what she was talking about unless you ask her. I did a quick Google search and didn’t find anything about it. The burden of proof, however, is squarely on someone who makes such a questionable assertion.

In RE classes and Bible studies that I teach when outlandish things like this are brought up that I’ve never heard, I immediately (but gently) ask the person where they heard it (to just leave it hanging without comment is a dis-service to her and other students who may be left with the impression there is something to these allegations). Usually, stuff like this is from some History Channel-type pseudo-documentary, something the person read in a fringe website or book, something they heard in casual conversation, or similar unreliable source. Next time it would be a good idea to ask.
No one was confused…I have already stepped in and explained I must teach the class in accordance with our beliefs the week before

I am trying to be gentle and patient with her as long as what she says doesn’t contradict faith and morals…I don’t want her to feel I am picking on her…We have a 1 hr DVD as part of our studies by Jeff Cavins to instruct us each week

Sometimes being kind is a better option
 
No one was confused…I have already stepped in and explained I must teach the class in accordance with our beliefs the week before

I am trying to be gentle and patient with her as long as what she says doesn’t contradict faith and morals…I don’t want her to feel I am picking on her…We have a 1 hr DVD as part of our studies by Jeff Cavins to instruct us each week

Sometimes being kind is a better option
I agree - being kind is the better option. Sounds like you are doing a great job teaching these kids!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top