Book of hours or off the cuff?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eruvande
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eruvande

Guest
Due to my life circumstances, I have a lot of time to pray, which I just love to do. I use a book of hours to help me with this, marking out the hours, much like a contemplative would do. But a friend is insisting that this isn’t proper prayer, and that I should be be praying spontaneous prayers, or God will just think of me as a parrot and ignore me.

I do pray spontaneously when making intercession, but also pray traditional prayers in response to different needs that are presented to me. Am I getting it wrong?
 
If you are praying the Divine Office/Liturgy of the Hours, you are definitely doing the right thing because you are praying the daily prayer of the Church.

I take it your friend is not Catholic? So he doesn’t understand the concept of communal prayer. For him there’s only one kind of prayer–personal. Personal prayer fine and just as important, but praying the Hours certainly isn’t being a parrot. How can reciting the Psalms, the holy word of God, be a bad thing? How could God be “offended” at that? No, it’s simply that your friend doesn’t see the benefit of recited prayers.

For those who faithfully pray the Hours, it is life changing, as you must know. We are praying with the whole Church, we are praying God’s word, and we are not focusing just on ourselves, our feelings, our needs, but on what is best for all the baptized.

The Hours lead us through the Church year, helping us focus on the various aspects of Christ’s Incarnation. There’s nothing rote or dead about it. Challenge your friend to pray the Hours and then come back and tell you they’re of no benefit. I’d bet he wouldn’t be able to do it. 🙂

Also, if we rely on “off the cuff” prayer all the time it too becomes rote, doesn’t it? And too insular. I’ve listened to so-called spontanteous prayers that take the same form every time. They start with “Father God we just want to thank you…” and go on with the same old petitions and the same old words in the same old way. Praying the Hours gives us a greater palette of intentions, of points of view, of spirituality and theology. It’s never the same twice, even if we are reciting the same Psalms as a month ago. It remains ever fresh because it is God’s word and not merely our own thoughts and intentions.
 
One day I was talking with my spiritual director about something I had read about prayer. And I ended by saying “I’m doing it all wrong!” His response to me was “There’s no wrong way to pray.”

And that’s what I would say to you. There’s no wrong way to pray!

Prayer is lifting our minds and hearts to God. There are all sorts of ways of doing that. Sometimes it may mean structured prayers like the Mass or the Liturgy of the Hours. Other times it may mean having a conversation with God. Other times it may mean sitting in silence and knowing that we are in God’s presence. Other times it may involve Scripture or song.

How can God possibly be so limited that we can approach him in only one way? We may be too small to see all the options, but God is bigger than that.
 
Due to my life circumstances, I have a lot of time to pray, which I just love to do. I use a book of hours to help me with this, marking out the hours, much like a contemplative would do. But a friend is insisting that this isn’t proper prayer, and that I should be be praying spontaneous prayers, or God will just think of me as a parrot and ignore me.

I do pray spontaneously when making intercession, but also pray traditional prayers in response to different needs that are presented to me. Am I getting it wrong?
The Hours, happily, are not contemplative. It is vocal, which makes it suited for every Catholic from every state of life.

As for your friend insisting on spontaneous prayers, well, all I have to say is: the Psalms are Scripture, inspired by the Holy Spirit. What makes me think my frail prayers are better than those?
 
Any prayer is good. Any prayer you’re comfortable with…Anyone who tells you that you’re doing it wrong…is wrong.
 
I pray the Office for the dead Morning and Evening and various other prayers.

I have to be honest and say i sometimes dont look forward to the Office prayers mainly because i cant wait to get them finished as i do find them long. But, having said that, the Psalms etc are really lovely and some are full of meaning!
 
Thank you all for responding 🙂 You all make sensible points. Yes, my friend is protestant, part of a stream of thinking that wants everything to be ‘spirit-led’ by which they mean little or no planning. I understand Spirit-led to be much more about acting on the desire to pray, be it my own paltry words, or the words of scripture, or even words that other Christians have been praying for centuries.
 
The Hours, happily, are not contemplative. It is vocal, which makes it suited for every Catholic from every state of life.

As for your friend insisting on spontaneous prayers, well, all I have to say is: the Psalms are Scripture, inspired by the Holy Spirit. What makes me think my frail prayers are better than those?
Oh wow. Until I saw this post, somehow I missed that part in the OP about your friend saying “contemplative prayer” isn’t proper prayer.

I recommended contemplative prayer without acknowledging the friend’s comments, because somehow I didn’t put it together. So now I will acknowledge your friend’s comments. That is, your friend may not know what “contemplative prayer” is according to Catholic teachings, so there may be an issue in defining terms. But contemplative prayer is most certainly “proper” prayer, and even recommended by the CCC.

You can read the details in my earlier post. Just a sample from the CCC, in light of the friend’s concerns:

2709 What is contemplative prayer? St. Teresa answers: “Contemplative prayer [oracion mental] in my opinion is nothing else than a close sharing between friends; it means taking time frequently to be alone with him who we know loves us.” Contemplative prayer seeks him “whom my soul loves.” It is Jesus, and in him, the Father. We seek him, because to desire him is always the beginning of love, and we seek him in that pure faith which causes us to be born of him and to live in him. In this inner prayer we can still meditate, but our attention is fixed on the Lord himself.

2710 The choice of the time and duration of the prayer arises from a determined will, revealing the secrets of the heart. **One does not undertake contemplative prayer only when one has the time: one makes time for the Lord, with the firm determination not to give up, no matter what trials and dryness one may encounter. One cannot always meditate, but one can always enter into inner prayer, independently of the conditions of health, work, or emotional state. **The heart is the place of this quest and encounter, in poverty and in faith.

MS
 
Thank you all for responding 🙂 You all make sensible points. Yes, my friend is protestant, part of a stream of thinking that wants everything to be ‘spirit-led’ by which they mean little or no planning. I understand Spirit-led to be much more about acting on the desire to pray, be it my own paltry words, or the words of scripture, or even words that other Christians have been praying for centuries.
Yes, many Evangelical/Pentecostals have the idea that spontanteous prayer alone is “spirit-led.” I don’t know where they got that idea. But it’s a cornerstone of their faith experience. They’ll even call faith communities that used prayer books “spiritually dead”–a label meant ot make other Christians want what they have, but actually turns liturgical Christians away because it reeks of hubris–as if anyone can know how spirtually “alive” another person might be. When I was in the Assemblies of God we actually believed we knew who was spiritually alive and those who weren’t (I sincerely hope they have abandoned that idea). I look back on those days and that attitude with great shame. 😊
 
The thing with praying the Liturgy of the Hours is that you get to pray the common and public prayer of the Church, as well as praying your own private intentions. During the intercessions of the LOTH, the rubric allows for insertion of your own personal intentions after the last public intention. They can be as many or as few as you want, and as spontaneous or pre-meditated as you want.

The LOTH pretty much wraps it all up because you can:

Pray the Psalms and the common prayer of the Church
Pray for your own private intentions
Pray contemplatively by having moments of silent meditation on the psalms and scripture, between psalms and after readings
Pray lectio divina, especially with the readings of the lectionary for the Office of Readings
Double your prayer by chanting/singing the Office.

Tell THAT to your skeptical friend!

I remember one summer, my Pentecostal mother-in-law were sitting together on the balcony on a summer evening; I was quietly reading Evening Prayer from my breviary. When I finished and put the book down next to my chair, my MIL said “Ora, you really should consider praying the psalms!”. It was a fine teaching moment that led to her accompanying me to Vespers one evening at the local Benedictine abbey 😛

So it’s not just Catholics who use the psalms as prayers; it’s an ancient tradition of the Jewish people since well before Christ.
 
Having prayers like the liturgy of the hours or the prayers of the Rosary that we learn by heart is very comforting. Speaking as one suffering from severe depression, sometimes knowing my prayers by heart or reading from my breviary is the only way I can pray. I am definitely not “spirit led” when I’m having a really bad episode. And that’s when I need the prayers the most.

Not to say that spirit-led prayers are bad; praying from the heart is just as important as praying the prayers of the church. A healthy mix of the two is important.
 
Having prayers like the liturgy of the hours or the prayers of the Rosary that we learn by heart is very comforting. Speaking as one suffering from severe depression, sometimes knowing my prayers by heart or reading from my breviary is the only way I can pray. I am definitely not “spirit led” when I’m having a really bad episode. And that’s when I need the prayers the most.

Not to say that spirit-led prayers are bad; praying from the heart is just as important as praying the prayers of the church. A healthy mix of the two is important.
I don’t have severe depression but like most people can have my ups and downs. I agree with you 100% that the Liturgy of the Hours (I’m not particularly inclined to the Rosary, but that’s another issue) has helped tremendously during the downs. It’s been the times when I’ve had to drag myself kicking and screaming to my little prayer corner in my house that I’ve had extra graces from praying the LOTH. I’m also semi-retired and some days can be rather quiet; the LOTH becomes my “job” as it were, praying for the needs of the world. It gives structure and meaning to one’s life at times when our lives seem empty and disorganized.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top