Book of Malachi

  • Thread starter Thread starter century153
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

century153

Guest
I sent this question to Ask a Question and never received an answer. I don’t really quite understand what thats all about though. So, anyway, here is my question - maybe someone will know the answer.

Why was Malachi 4 removed from all Catholic Bibles except the Latin Vulgate and the Douay-Rheims Version? :confused:
 
I sent this question to Ask a Question and never received an answer. I don’t really quite understand what thats all about though. So, anyway, here is my question - maybe someone will know the answer.

Why was Malachi 4 removed from all Catholic Bibles except the Latin Vulgate and the Douay-Rheims Version? :confused:
Perhaps you could explain what you mean by ‘removed from* all *Catholic Bibles’ . The only one I know of that combines chapters 3 and 4 is the NAB. They do not explain why they do this. The RSV-2CE has chapter 4.
 
Why was Malachi 4 removed from all Catholic Bibles except the Latin Vulgate and the Douay-Rheims Version? :confused:
Chapter 4 was not removed but renumbered. What is numbered in the Latin Vulgate and the Douay-Rheims as 4:1-6 is numbered 3:19-24 in the Hebrew Bible. Translations based on the Latin Vulgate such as the Douay-Rheims follow the Vulgate numbering, while others based on the Hebrew follow the Hebrew numbering. (The RSVCE is an exception.)

Also, you may find some Bibles that repeat 3:23 (= Vulgate 4:5) at the very end of the book. This is a custom in Hebrew Bibles to ensure the Roll of the Twelve Prophets doesn’t end with a curse.
 
I sent this question to Ask a Question and never received an answer. I don’t really quite understand what thats all about though. So, anyway, here is my question - maybe someone will know the answer.

Why was Malachi 4 removed from all Catholic Bibles except the Latin Vulgate and the Douay-Rheims Version? :confused:
Beginning with 3:19, it is believed by Bible scholars that an epilogue was added by a second hand. Bibles that have a chapter 4 have split this epilogue into its own chapter.

So, it is the same book, divided into 3 or 4 chapters. The Torah is divided into 3 chapters, the Latin Vulgate was divided into 4 chapters. The NAB returned to the 3-chapter format.
 
WOW! Why didn’t I see that? I thought I read it but I just got stuck on not finding chapter 4. Thank you all for clarifying — I am so relieved!
 
Of course, it doesn’t make sense to me why they changed it. Especially since the DR and LV are still the same. Oh well!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top