Book of the Elect

• Thread starter Thread starter Miles_Mariae
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Miles_Mariae

We catechumens signed the Book of the Elect today during the Rite of Sending. Does this book have some theological background? Is it important in the process of Salvation?

The reason I ask this is because I was kind of nervous and wrote my name really sloppily. Hopefully there are no adverse effects.

We catechumens signed the Book of the Elect today during the Rite of Sending. Does this book have some theological background? Is it important in the process of Salvation?

The reason I ask this is because I was kind of nervous and wrote my name really sloppily. Hopefully there are no adverse effects.
Do not worry. There are no adverse effects. It’s not even required, per se.

Signing books, filling out paperwork, many other things we do and ritualize are, themselves, not necessary for salvation. They are signs and tangible acts to help us understand the salvific plan of God for us. The sacraments are actual conduits of God’s grace. Signing this book is merely a public affirmation of your commitment to persevere in joining the Church and the lifelong perseverance of living the Christian Life. It’s meant to help you focus on the seriousness of your decision and provide witness to the Church of your commitment. If you continue to be concerned, talk with your priest. In no way should this, or any of the other rituals, cause you concern unless you are unsure of your decision. Peace.

The Rite of Election is usually on the First Sunday of Lent. Why did you sing the book today? Our catechumens all go to the cathedral (or a second service at a church in another area of the diocese later in the evening) to sign the book in the presence of the bishop.

The Rite of Election is usually on the First Sunday of Lent. Why did you sing the book today? Our catechumens all go to the cathedral (or a second service at a church in another area of the diocese later in the evening) to sign the book in the presence of the bishop.
I don’t believe there is a specific date for the Rite of Election or perhaps it depends on the diocese for scheduling. Last year, the Rite was before Lent began for me, if I remember correctly. And in our diocese there was at least three different Rites of Election being held on different weekends so that the Bishop could be present without making some people have to drive long distances.

We’re having the Rite of Election next week, I don’t know why they got us to sign the book.

My thanks, Johnny.

I don’t think anyone’s handwriting is so bad that God can’t read it (although some of the signatures I’ve seen, I imagine He’s the only one who can). That isn’t the actual book of life anyway- the action of signing something signifies that you take what you are doing seriously. I’m not sure if the books are actually used for anything- to keep records or something maybe. I think if they needed you to clarify, they’d ask you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back