Book Suggestions on Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter Thread starter Christbearer98
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christbearer98

Science folks, I’m studying philosophy and metaphysics and I began reading about quantum mechanics from a Thomist point of view, but I want to hear from the scientists themselves. Does anyone have a good suggestion as to a book I could read to learn about the subject? I’m looking for a source which is highly credible/authoritative, so that it can be used in conversation with atheists who deny causality based on that (also so I don’t go off believing some fringe-theory)

I think Physics and Philosophy by Werner Heisenberg is a good one, and the author has some of the highest authority around on the subject. Thoughts?

How much math do you know? Are you going for a textbook style or more of a lay persons guide?

Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths.

You can buy it in Amazon.

This is the quintessential quantum mechanics book for physics undergraduates.

Basic knowledge of calculus, differential equations and linear algebra is required.

Last edited:
Yeah I don’t have that haha. But thanks for assuming the best

Not much. Lay person’s guide. I understand philosophy and I can probably grudge through something more technical, but math escapes my grasp.

This was the book I had but tbh without calculus I’m not sure the OP would extract much from it.

Edit: sorry I said this because he later said he doesn’t know calculus or linear algebra, or diff equations.

Last edited:
  1. Easy to understand and beginner level:
    No-nonsense Quantum mechanics by Jakob Schwichtenberg.
  2. More advanced level:
    a. Lectures on Quantum Mechanics by Steven Weinberg
    and
    b. Quantum mechanics, by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, et. al.

Science folks, I’m studying philosophy and metaphysics and I began reading about quantum mechanics from a Thomist point of view, but I want to hear from the scientists themselves. Does anyone have a good suggestion as to a book I could read to learn about the subject? I’m looking for a source which is highly credible/authoritative, so that it can be used in conversation with atheists who deny causality based on that (also so I don’t go off believing some fringe-theory)

I think Physics and Philosophy by Werner Heisenberg is a good one, and the author has some of the highest authority around on the subject. Thoughts?
It’s great that you are interested in the sciences and I don’t want to discourage you. But looking at the results from a great number of books written with the aim to make quantum mechanics understandable for the layperson who have little to zero understanding of math beyond middle school, it doesn’t really work.
Math is THE language of physics. Trying to translate what is expressed in a mathematical equation to a spoken language using analogies from our everyday world, is simply impossible. Or at least no one has been successful so far.
And if there is any area of physics where you need math, it is in quantum mechanics.

Lastly, there is no magisterium or anything similar in the scientific community. So nobody can speak from an position of authority in a similar way to the church. People are still actively trying to falsify the theories of special and general relativity. Yes we have people who have been recipients of prestigeous awards (like the Nobel prize), but none of them can say with any authority if the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics is absolutely correct or not.

As Michel pointed out above, Quantum mechanics can get pretty math intensive pretty fast. However I think you can gain some understanding of the effects of it.

One poster above recommended something by Gribbon, In search of schrodingers’ cat.
Sounds like a solid place to start to me.

This article recommends a book by Lindsey. I’ve never read it but it’s recommended and decent Amazon reviews.

Here was an interesting discussion. However to be honest I’ve noticed quite a few people think that math for the layperson includes calc, differential equations, and linear algebra. Sorry but that’s not really for the lay person.
https://www.quora.com/Whats-a-good-book-on-quantum-mechanics-written-for-laymen?share=1

You could also take a look at videos on YouTube. Brian Greene does a pretty good job imo of explaining things to people without necessarily getting too thick. I’ll take a look around to see if I can find something on quantum mechanics.

Edit - just found this. As a quick overview, I think it’s pretty decent.

Last edited:
Hi Christbearer98,

you might be interested in reading Dr. Joe Dispenza’s ‘Becoming Supernatural’. Its a detailed book on how science is beginning to explain & prove the existence of the metaphysical with Quantum Mechanics, Neurology and modern testing equipment. It’s not a q.mechanics book per se, but does explain very well the link between these 2 topics.

Another good book would be ’ Quantum Ontology: A Guide to the Metaphysics of Quantum Mechanics’ by Peter J. Lewis. I haven’t read it personally myself, but from the review on Notre Dame Philosophical Review (can’t share the link on this forum) it would seem to be another good source of analysis.

Regards
John

Hi Christbearer98,

you might be interested in reading Dr. Joe Dispenza’s ‘Becoming Supernatural’. Its a detailed book on how science is beginning to explain & prove the existence of the metaphysical with Quantum Mechanics, Neurology and modern testing equipment. It’s not a q.mechanics book per se, but does explain very well the link between these 2 topics.
I would advice caution when being taught about quantum mechanics by Joe. Especially since he does not have a degree in anything related to QM. Sure, he is as free to write and talk about QM as anyone else. But just take a peek at his “credentials” first.

Last edited:
Meant only as an intentional connected side-note:

Whereas, yes, investigations - such as QM theories - into the (entire) Physical Realm can be of interest,
So too are any reasonably in-depth studies of E.G., Cellular/Molecular Biology…
I.E…, the more complex shall we say - miniscule universes of Life…

Last edited:
Hi Michaelangelo,

Yes, he doesn’t have a Physics degree, but it is a qualified Neurologist, and since Cb98 is starting to study Metaphysics and Quantum Mechanics, it would seem logical to get a Neurologists opinion on these matters. To begin to understand Metaphysics from the human perspective, one would immediately begin to look at Neurology and in fact, the Metaphysical can really only be studied by Neurologists, since studying brainwaves and the effects on the our nervous system and electromagnetic fields is their forte.
My physics teacher at school said I should have studied Physics as Uni, but I got into engineering as I’m a bit of a machine nerd. But from my understanding, String Theory, which has been proven to a lesser extent, gives an explains to how many metaphysical experiences are possible.
It follows that the Divine within us, our Soul, is eternal and is not bound by the Newtonian understanding of Space/Time. So we can access the multi-dimensional quantum field and this is in fact the ‘Heavens’ as described by the Prophets.
A deeper understanding of Meditation and the Metaphysical will only compliment the understanding of the paradox’s in Quantum Mechanics.

Hi Michaelangelo,

Yes, he doesn’t have a Physics degree, but it is a qualified Neurologist, and since Cb98 is starting to study Metaphysics and Quantum Mechanics, it would seem logical to get a Neurologists opinion on these matters.
Hi John!
No Joe is no neurologist and most certainly not qualified since he has zero formal training in medicine. If he had done any research in this area he would be published in a credible scientific journal. But he isn’t. Guess why? 😉
To begin to understand Metaphysics from the human perspective, one would immediately begin to look at Neurology and in fact, the Metaphysical can really only be studied by Neurologists, since studying brainwaves and the effects on the our nervous system and electromagnetic fields is their forte.
I fail to see a connection between metaphysics and electromagnetic fields.
My physics teacher at school said I should have studied Physics as Uni, but I got into engineering as I’m a bit of a machine nerd. But from my understanding, String Theory, which has been proven to a lesser extent, gives an explains to how many metaphysical experiences are possible.
Exactly how has string theory been proven?
It follows that the Divine within us, our Soul, is eternal and is not bound by the Newtonian understanding of Space/Time.
We have indeed moved past Newtonian physics. The theories of general and special relativity deals specifically with space and time.

I know the deacon at Sekiguchi Cathedral in Tokyo. Not only he is a permanent deacon, he is also a renowned physicist, probably one of the most renowned physicist in entire Japan. He even wrote a book『科学者はなぜ神を信じるのか』to talk about why he himself, as a scientist, actually believes in God. It’s interesting to see how he explained it from a scientific perspective, linking nuclear physics and the existence of God. Unfortunately, I think this book is available in Japanese only, but I’ll ask him the next time I run into him.

Here’s his profile on Wikipedia:

Wow

I have known several astrophysicists who were devout Christians.

They were the best witnesses to me that being Christian need not involve surrendering your brain.

When I was an atheist, I thought most Christians were the anti-science types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back