Book Suggestions on Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter Thread starter Christbearer98
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi MA,
Thanks for the detailed response. Yes having now checked, he’s not a Neurologist, but has ‘studied’ as the Quantum University (where he’s a facility member, and of course their ‘University’ status is questionable). I’ve started reading his latest book and was quite impressed, he’s trying to show that we can now test and prove, that through mindfulness and meditation we can increase our energy (Light) levels. The intensity of the electro-magnetic field around our body and our brain wave patterns can now be accurately measured and they have set-up live training scenarios where the participant is given real-time feedback on how their thought patterns affect their brains waves and central nervous system.

Regarding the connection between metaphysics & e-m fields. Metaphysics is a broad term in philosophy, but in simple terms it relates to the things that physics can’t currently explain. But what has been defined as metaphysical has changed hugely over the centuries with our increasing understanding. Many things of the modern world seem magical to the Greeks.
So for example, if someone lays on hands to try to heal and they perform a miracle, this would be classed as metaphysical. But we are now starting to be able to measure this energy (divine light if you will) and if the equipment was set up prior to an attempt to heal, we would be able to measure the electro-magnetic energy coming from the healers hands. The Chinese have measured energy beams coming from Qigong Masters hands and they could modulate the intensity of this beam.

Elements of String theory have been proven. The entanglement of photons and other particles has been proven.

The belief of sting theory fits quite well with idea of God’s Omnipresence. There’ are dimensions (earth and the heavens) and everything is connected since it all matter was connected before the big bang.

Kind regards
John

Hi MA,
Thanks for the detailed response. Yes having now checked, he’s not a Neurologist, but has ‘studied’ as the Quantum University (where he’s a facility member, and of course their ‘University’ status is questionable).
Hi John
And being asociated with a “questionable university”, doesn’t really give credibility to one’s claims. Does it? Especially when the methodolgy used in his research is on the level of homeopathy.
I’ve started reading his latest book and was quite impressed, he’s trying to show that we can now test and prove, that through mindfulness and meditation we can increase our energy (Light) levels.
Such a claim must be, in order to taken seriously, be followed by a specification of which energy levels has been raised. For example, no amount of meditation changes my kinetic energy.
The intensity of the electro-magnetic field around our body and our brain wave patterns can now be accurately measured and they have set-up live training scenarios where the participant is given real-time feedback on how their thought patterns affect their brains waves and central nervous system.
There is no such thing as a “intensity of a EM-field” around a persons body.
Regarding the connection between metaphysics & e-m fields. Metaphysics is a broad term in philosophy, but in simple terms it relates to the things that physics can’t currently explain. But what has been defined as metaphysical has changed hugely over the centuries with our increasing understanding. Many things of the modern world seem magical to the Greeks.
Agreed.
So for example, if someone lays on hands to try to heal and they perform a miracle, this would be classed as metaphysical.
If the cause is associated with laying on hands, it is not metaphysical, since the act of laying on hands is very much a physical one. And placebo is a well known effect.

But we are now starting to be able to measure this energy (divine light if you will) and if the equipment was set up prior to an attempt to heal, we would be able to measure the electro-magnetic energy coming from the healers hands.
No such thing as electromagnetic energy. Photons can have energy but they are not energy. And light around the visible spectra only have a very limited ability to penetrate our skin. Longer frequencies even less. The higer frequencies, like X-rays, can indeed penetrate the body. But guess what? They create a mess inside us. Because of their energy they break chemical bonds that we most certainly do NOT want to have broken.

So if this “divine light” was able to penetrate through the body without breaking chemical bonds it must have some amazing properties. And if such “light” actually can be detected then several of its properties must be known. So I’m eager to hear about those fantastic properties. Perhaps the mass of the particles, the spin or the charge?
The Chinese have measured energy beams coming from Qigong Masters hands and they could modulate the intensity of this beam.
No they have not. I know Qi Gong “masters” claiming all kind of fantastic abilities. One of them being able to defeat an attacker without even touching the attacker. Or being able to effect the attacker in absolutely crazy ways with a simple, small movement. And when this is demonstrated on “believers” it works with amazing effects. They can defeat 20 attacking believers without even breaking a sweat. But when demonstrated on non-believers the Qi Gong “masters” always get defeated. Guess why?
Elements of String theory have been proven. The entanglement of photons and other particles has been proven.
Quantum entanglement was first proposed by Einstein, Podolsky and Rosen in a paper published 1935. Although the actual term entanglement was coined by Shrödinger in a letter to Einstein after that article was published. String theory deals with entanglement but it is an effect that is derived from fundamental quantum mechanics. So no, entanglement is not considered a evidence for string theory.
The belief of sting theory fits quite well with idea of God’s Omnipresence. There’ are dimensions (earth and the heavens) and everything is connected since it all matter was connected before the big bang.
The big bang theory says nothing about a before the big bang or anything about any matter then. Nor are “dimensions” in physics the same as dimensions in theology. It is very unfortunate that people are not more careful in defining terminology before speculating.

No such thing as electromagnetic energy. Photons can have energy but they are not energy. And light around the visible spectra only have a very limited ability to penetrate our skin. Longer frequencies even less. The higer frequencies, like X-rays, can indeed penetrate the body. But guess what? They create a mess inside us. Because of their energy they break chemical bonds that we most certainly do NOT want to have broken.

So if this “divine light” was able to penetrate through the body without breaking chemical bonds it must have some amazing properties. And if such “light” actually can be detected then several of its properties must be known. So I’m eager to hear about those fantastic properties. Perhaps the mass of the particles, the spin or the charge?
I guess I’m not following. I’m not taking either side in this debate btw. I have no idea.

But em radiation can have an intensity no? And radio waves can pass through quite a bit despite longer wavelengths with lower energy.?

There are so many things we can’t claim to understand, I personally am not quite comfortable putting scientific limits on Gods capabilities given our current understandings. This and the vibratory postulant in string theory would indicate a certain amount of vibratory energy would it not. Who would have predicted the Copenhagen interpretation. If quantum mechanics hadn’t been confirmed by so much experimentation, I don’t think anyone would believe in its Cooky predictions. But they work… Don’t forget,

Einstein: “God doesn’t play dice with the universe” Bohr “Stop telling God what to do”.

I guess I’m not following. I’m not taking either side in this debate btw. I have no idea.

But em radiation can have an intensity no? And radio waves can pass through quite a bit despite longer wavelengths with lower energy.?
Yes radiowaves have the ability to pass the human body. When I look back at what I wrote I have no idea what I was thinking. Of course radiowaves can pass through the human body when their wavelength is much longer than any length of the human body. Some of the radiowaves have a wavelength as short as a few centimeters or even millimeters. Those will have a harder time to pass through depending on their interaction with the body. They can make molecules in the body jiggle a bit more, which means they become hotter. But they can’t break chemical bonds.
There are so many things we can’t claim to understand, I personally am not quite comfortable putting scientific limits on Gods capabilities given our current understandings.
Science does not limit any ability of god at all. Because science does not have god in the equation in the first place.
This and the vibratory postulant in string theory would indicate a certain amount of vibratory energy would it not.
Yes a wave can have energy and transfer this energy to other waves. This is different from saying that a wave is energy.
Who would have predicted the Copenhagen interpretation. If quantum mechanics hadn’t been confirmed by so much experimentation, I don’t think anyone would believe in its Cooky predictions. But they work…
The Copenhagen interpretation is far from the only interpretation in the academic physics community. But I think it still is the leading one. And predictions in quantum field theory have been experimentally verified with absolutely fantastic presicion. In one example the agreement between prediction and experiment was ten parts in a billion. You can think of this as if the predicted and measured distance between L.A. and New York differed by the width of a hair. Quite a difference from the vagueness of prophecies in christian history and in the bible.

The Copenhagen interpretation of QM is the most accepted one because it is the one which actually makes sense.
Not according to the part of the physics community not agreeing with it. And no, those are not a fringe group outside the credible scientific community, like flat earthers and the likes.
What you’re talking about is QED, which is not the same as QFT.
QED is a QFT.

The Copenhagen interpretation of QM is the most accepted one because it is the one which actually makes sense
Can you please explain why the ensemble interpretation of QM does not make sense?

As far as I understand this is problematic because it says that the state of a single system cannot be computed.
No kidding? i don’t see why it would be a problem to apply the quantum state to an ensemble of similarly prepared systems and then to introduce other variables to determine the outcome of an individual event? I thought that this had been worked out already and shown to be logically consistent and preferable according to the principle of Occam’s razor since it makes fewer assumptions that does the copenhagen interpretation.

I’d read Polkinghorne “Science an Christian Belief” - it’s written for non scientists by a priest who was a professor of mathematical physics

From my observation, the anti-science problem among Christians is predominantly a North American problem. I haven’t heard of anything like that outside of North America.

I believe you are right.

It’s the instinctive American distrust of authority, be they scientific, religious or civil authority.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Nigel Cundy, who is both a quantum physicist and Thomist. He has a book called “What is Physics.” He has a blog (just google quantum thomist).

He also did an interview at for the classical theism podcast, which is a little easier to digest than his written work (although still pretty confusing in my opinion).

Well is some regard all of science is a theory. But it’s been highly tested experimentally. I believe the most in all of science.

Last edited:
Well is some regard all of science is a theory.
But it’s been highly tested experimentally.
I believe the most in all of science.
QM still bumps into the UFT, GED, TOE, Etc… ?

TO the OP Heisenberg wrote a book on his theory which is called (in English)
The Nonlinear Spinor Field Theory - Although it might not be easy to locate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back