My initial view is that
- Oprah is a hugely influential figure – at least in the secular humanist world.
- She has come out like a ton of bricks for this book, framing it as some kind of answer to everything.
- There are tons of lost, searching, and searching with a spirit of rebellion and self-righteousness souls in the world.
- Initially Tolle seems to misrepresent the teachings of Christianity. I believe he also does with other religions but I can’t speak for them.
- I do believe that a change of consciousness must come if we are to avoid disaster and widespread suffering and bondage.
- The question is about what form that must take.
For these reasons, I think it is worthwhile to keep an eye on this book and on this upcoming Webcast classroom.
On Oprah’s message board for this book, there appear to be some characters who will brook no disagreement with Tollism and who have unhealed issues with ‘organized religion’ These unhealed issues seem to function as a pretext for some pretty wild mischaracterizations as well as a spirit which squashes discussion.
Three of my posts were removed outright from that message board. No recourse for me to find out why either. Moreover the moderator buttons went missing from my screen for three days!
To my mind I was merely correcting some historical errors. If we can’t question, can’t challenge, then what kind of discussion is there?
Now Tolle says that he encourages questions and challenges. Those are words easily spoken. When push comes to shove, there seems to be room for Tollism and only Tollism.
Is there a danger of a very large cult forming? In my view, yes. Not to say that that is what is intended either by Tolle or Oprah. But cults do spring up. And I think it is legitimate to keep an eye on things.
So far there seems to be a lot of insider kumbaya going on.
Let’s hope there are some more placid and prepared minds actually participating in the webcast classroom.