J
jorgeK
Guest
Hello,
I’m new here and a somewhat recent (and late) revert to Catholicism. I’d say “convert” because though I was baptised a Catholic it never really meant anything to me until much later in life. Immediately prior to becoming a Catholic I would have probably considered myself a deist/agnostic.
So on to my question:
The History Channel keeps running this show “Books Banned from the Bible” and other channels have had similar documentaries named “The Lost books of the Bible”.
First, I’m well aware that it’s the intention of the History Channel with shows like this to undercut the validity of Christianity and make believers question their faith’s foundation.
One thing that bothers me is that this show kind of backfires. While watching it I was kind of struck by how consistent the general Christian message has been maintained even in the non-cannonical books (Acts of Paul and Thecla for example). Eventhough there might be a slight different focus (the History channel guest speakers maintain it was the outspoken feminist message of Paul and Thecla that lead it to being banned) the underlying message is still the same “Jesus died and rose for our sins and we need to be baptised”.
Bart Ehrman was one of the main speakers thinking that this omission of this book was a big deal. But, from my perspective this is just another book that while not cannonical still supports some of the very basic precepts of the Christian faith (certainly the Catholic expression of that faith).
But, alot of people don’t see it this way. They see it as a nefarious plan of some Christians to squelch the actual picture of Jesus, shoehorning it into something that it never was.
Does anyone know of a book(s) that address these topics? The topics of how the Bible was compiled the way it was, why certain books were actually left out?
Or any websites or blogs that deal with these topics?
thanks!!
I’m new here and a somewhat recent (and late) revert to Catholicism. I’d say “convert” because though I was baptised a Catholic it never really meant anything to me until much later in life. Immediately prior to becoming a Catholic I would have probably considered myself a deist/agnostic.
So on to my question:
The History Channel keeps running this show “Books Banned from the Bible” and other channels have had similar documentaries named “The Lost books of the Bible”.
First, I’m well aware that it’s the intention of the History Channel with shows like this to undercut the validity of Christianity and make believers question their faith’s foundation.
One thing that bothers me is that this show kind of backfires. While watching it I was kind of struck by how consistent the general Christian message has been maintained even in the non-cannonical books (Acts of Paul and Thecla for example). Eventhough there might be a slight different focus (the History channel guest speakers maintain it was the outspoken feminist message of Paul and Thecla that lead it to being banned) the underlying message is still the same “Jesus died and rose for our sins and we need to be baptised”.
Bart Ehrman was one of the main speakers thinking that this omission of this book was a big deal. But, from my perspective this is just another book that while not cannonical still supports some of the very basic precepts of the Christian faith (certainly the Catholic expression of that faith).
But, alot of people don’t see it this way. They see it as a nefarious plan of some Christians to squelch the actual picture of Jesus, shoehorning it into something that it never was.
Does anyone know of a book(s) that address these topics? The topics of how the Bible was compiled the way it was, why certain books were actually left out?
Or any websites or blogs that deal with these topics?
thanks!!